DVDVR Message Board

What is on your Xmas viewing list?

Control

For several years, GREMLINS and SCROOGED have been essential holiday viewing. At least one FUTURAMA Xmas episode as well. HOME ALONE and DIE HARD are typically viewed but are not as central to the Christmas experience.

I’ll also watch the Doctor Who special when it’s available in Canada, which I figure will be Boxing Day.

If I manage to make it next week then Gremlins will be watched in the theater. Aside from that, Silent Night Deadly Night always gets a run from my misanthropic ass around this time of year. 

In non-Xmas-related-but-still-related watching I might (cross fingers) be getting Thief and The Long Good Friday for the holiday and Sopranos season two is coming in for my dad so that'll get an airing for sure

Gremlins

The Song of Bernadette

Ben-Hur (1959)

Die Hard (to recover from The Song of Bernadette and Ben-Hur)

A Christmas Story (at least once all the way through and then timed to catch this scene as many times as possible during the marathon)

in the heat of battle, my father wove a tapestry of obscenity that as far as we know, is still hanging in space over Lake Michigan.

The Academy Award winning animated short A Christmas Carol (1971) that remembered that it is a fucking ghost story at its core does not forget that Ignorance & Want hide under the robe of The Ghost of Christmas Present.

Scrooge (1951) if I am not all A Christmas Carroled out by the animated version and if my eyes aren't already swollen shut from all of the crying I did during The Song of Bernadette and Ben-Hur.

White Christmas I always sneak in on the Friday after Thanksgiving when we start decorating the In-law's house.  National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation I'll get to at some point, along with Scrooged. The kids have watched both the animated and live action Grinch several times already, as they're ought to do.  My wife has taken to making the Hallmark Channel our Holiday go-to channel (instead of one of Scripps Big 4) during their made-for-TV Christmas Movie marathon month.

A Bogart movie. That's the real reason for the season.

This year, I think we'll go with this instead:

Also, we get as far as we can on the Star Wars Xmas Special. I think we've only made it to the Boba Fett cartoon once. 

Oh and a Muppet Family Xmas. That's on the day proper. It's usually filled with the 15 year old watching all of the Lord of the Rings movies to block off my father-in-law trying to bring football into our house.  And the Doctor Who special, yes.

In the set up, I'll show the 5 year old Nightmare Before Xmas (she's asked for it already), the animated Grinch probably 2-3 times, and maybe a Garfield special from the 80s. I'm not sure what else. Maybe He-Man/She-Ra Xmas, but that hasn't aged well at all.

So far as a family we've watched Home Alone, Home Alone 2, White Christmas, and all three Tim Allen Santa Clause movies.  I've watched Christmas Vacation(first of multiple viewings) and It's Always Sunny Christmas.  Before it's all said and done I will end up watching all the Rankin/Bass specials with my daughter as well as Ernest Saves Christmas.  As a family we'll probably knock out Arthur Christmas, Prancer, Christmas with the Kranks, Jingle All the Way, Deck the Halls, and the Disney Prep and Landing shows.  I think Fred Claus is probably the only one the wife and I will watch ourselves this year, unless I start Die Hard and/or Die Hard II  early enough she'll stay awake and watch them.  Gremlins I'm probably on my own for, plus I try and go back and watch some of the South Park Christmas episodes and maybe I'll have time to squeeze in a couple of the Community episdoes as well.  Well, and the Festivus episdoe of Seinfeld of course...

Forgot to mention A Christmas Story, have to watch that at least once or twice.  Scrooged should run on Freeform's 25 days of Christmas so I'll DVR that and watch it, Polar Express as well.  Probably have to try and catch Almost Christmas as well, the wife and I both really enjoyed it last year.

Edited by gatling
I'm old and forgot some movies.

It's not quite the intent of the thread, but I'll be at my parents' place for Christmas and we'll go see a movie at some point.  I'm thinking either Downsizing or The Post (if it's in wide release at that time) would be parent-appropriate.

How the fuck did I forget to put Black Christmas on my list?

22 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

If I want to freak myself out again Black Christmas is always on Youtube. And I've still never seen Christmas Evil...

No, the proper tradition would be to watch New Year's Evil on New Year's Eve.

newyearsevilposter.jpg

• Like 1

Actually if you want some (very mild) Christmas horror, I saw Better Watch Out earlier this year and it was a pretty good time.  It's on a bunch of streaming services... I think Amazon Prime, Google Play, iTunes?

• Like 1

Usually the basics...We always tend to kick things off with Christmas Vacation because Clark's two rants never fail to make me laugh. Then there's Christmas Story, Home Alone, Die Hard, Elf, etc.

Christmas Vacation is a must while decorating the house.  I need a movie that's going to convince me that of course the Christmas tree needs 3 more sets of lights before loading it up with ornaments.

• Like 2

I posted in the TCM thread about Bell, Book, & Candle since it was on last weekend.  I saw it as a kid, but it did not click that the movie timeline is set during the Yuletide holiday.

Odessasteps has beaten me to my Trivial Pursuit revelation of the day.

Mostly the standard stuff, but a new classic for me is the Christmas episode of Community that was one long potshot at Glee for kicking their ass in the ratings. Baby Boomer Santa and Teach Me How to Understand Christmas are both holiday jams in my book. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CSC said:

Christmas Vacation is a must while decorating the house.  I need a movie that's going to convince me that of course the Christmas tree needs 3 more sets of lights before loading it up with ornaments.

Fuck yeah it does and maybe an extra strand to wrap around the post at the center if it's a fake tree. If it's not raising your electric bill by at least $40 a month then you're doing it wrong.

By the way, side tangent for awful Christmas movies, but when I was a kid, I really liked Santa Claus the Movie. The Dudley Moore one.

Then I saw it when I was older and holy shit, what an unrepentant piece of dogshit that movie is. It's fucking horrendous. 

I watched Santa Claus the movie last year for the first time and yeah... It is so bad, verging on the so bad it's good level.

I am a Christmas dork, so I have a fucking google doc of movies I try to get in every year. I loved the Bond marathons TBS did in the '90s around this time, so I usually start watching those in November to make sure I have time to get to the Christmas stuff. I adore the Rankin Bass specials more than any grown man should. My family has a tradition of watching How The Grinch Stole Christmas and, far more randomly, the Barney Christmas special (for the lolz) every Christmas Eve.