DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - WINTER 2018

RIPPA

13 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Tottenham came way too close to losing to Some Town In The United Kingdom FC in the FA Cup today, ending up with an incredibly scratchy 1-1 draw and a replay, which given how the match went is probably fair. I am just not allowed to have nice sports things.

What about the Eskimos? I root for the Sabres, Red Bulls, Mets, Bengals, Knicks and TiCats so I feel your pain of never-ending failure. The fact that I also support United admittedly balances that out somewhat. But in AFL I support Carlton, who are the tire fire of Australian sports so that adds to the failure ledger.

15 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Guess a bunch of the papers and podcasts today are picking up the Jon Moss discussing things with his linesman story. 

I don't think it was the linesman, it was a mention of asking for televisual guidance from the fourth official (?) that was the issue. He was well within his rights to go to the linesman, but that did muddy the waters somewhat.

2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Liverpool fans suddenly discovering a hatred of diving after worshipping at the altar of Luis Suarez and Fernando Torres is really giving me fuel.

Gerrard is the better target because he was your typical Ingerlish "diving is ruining the game" guy who did his infamous starfish flop frequently. Diving is shit, I don't care who does it. Your two penalties were embellished, but Van Dijk shouldn't have made that awkward move towards the ball after double clutching. He should've been in position and acted swiftly. I don't buy the Lovren played Kane onside by playing the ball shit but whatever.

My bullshit everywhere comment was more aimed towards my own side's inability to defend regardless of personnel and poor game management. Klopp is hardly infallible and one of his main failings up to this point is a lack of highly regimented and structured defensive positioning and reflexes on top of poor game management when trying to nurse a narrow lead in the 2nd half. Team was clearly running on fumes, so I get injecting fresh legs into the midfield but taking off an exhausted Firmino for a CB was only going to invite more pressure. We needed fresh legs up front to start closing down high up the pitch and to pose some threat on the counter. Instead it looked like offense on defense training purely in Liverpool's half. And we really needed some reinforcements but didn't want to overpay, while allowing our second best player to leave without replacement. Desperately need a midfield shield for our backline that gets exposed too often and a playmaker higher up the pitch. Ox is nice and all but I don't think he has the consistency to replace even part of what Big Phil brought.

• Like 1