Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
RIPPA

SOCCER - WINTER 2018

Recommended Posts

Okay - it's fucking December. That was bothering me

And this thread is my new favorite thing

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today's Manchester Derby may be called off with snow blanketing the region, disrupting fans' travel. Watch this space... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TFC wins MLS Cup. As sickening as it was to see two of the biggest frauds in American soccer history win something (and Bradley was great yesterday, the exact opposite of what he was vs a terrible Trinidad team in the biggest game for the USMNT in a generation) it was nice to see the best team win the title for once. Also the people in Toronto who make mocking comments about the CFL when you remind them that the Argos have brought the city a couple of titles since the 93 Jays are the same ones who go to Starbucks instead of Tims.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TFC has a seriously trash fanbase and I have a real hard time being happy for them, even if in the big picture long term it's important for the Canadian national program that Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver are successful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Literally the worst thing about them is when they talk about all the pain and misery they've had to endure. They've been in the league a whole ten fucking years. It was like when that ESPN nitwit last year exclaimed after Seattle won "Their long wait is over!!!". My team has been in the league since day one, lost our first ever home game on an own goal that was literally the last moment of the game, got bought and got renamed for fucking soda and have turned playoff failure into an art form. When I hear people talk about a long 10 year wait it just makes me want to break things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stanford men win their 3rd straight national title with a 1-0 Double OT win over Indiana

Since their women's team also won the national title this year - they become the first school to win both titles in the same season in D1 history

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well to be fair TFC were laughably bad up until the last couple years cut them a tiny bit of slack.  Still surprised TFC ever gained any kind of attention in this market

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Stanford men win their 3rd straight national title with a 1-0 Double OT win over Indiana

Since their women's team also won the national title this year - they become the first school to win both titles in the same season in D1 history

5 more until they catch Indiana. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Jurgen Klopp wasn't a happy bunny. Lovern messed up. Liverpool 1. Everton 1.

Manchester City beat Manchester United 2-1 at Old Trafford to win 14 games consecutive games in a row, first team to do that in English top flight and have a 11 point lead at the top of the table.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Manchester City beat Manchester United 2-1 at Old Trafford to win 14 games consecutive games in a row, first team to do that in English top flight and have a 11 point lead at the top of the table.

Apparently Jose actually invaded the City locker room because he thought they were being "disrespectful" and a giant brawl followed. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Pete said:

Apparently Jose actually invaded the City locker room because he thought they were being "disrespectful" and a giant brawl followed. 

Lol. Least no pizzagate like Man Utd vs. Arsenal ; ).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Champions League Knockout Stage Draw:

Juventus vs Tottenham

Basel vs Manchester City

Porto vs Liverpool 

Sevilla vs Manchester United 

Real Madrid vs PSG

Shakhtar Donetsk vs Roma 

Chelsea vs Barcelona

Bayern Munich vs Besiktas

I feel a little dirty cheering for PSG, but it's Real Madrid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, sabremike said:

TFC wins MLS Cup. As sickening as it was to see two of the biggest frauds in American soccer history win something (and Bradley was great yesterday, the exact opposite of what he was vs a terrible Trinidad team in the biggest game for the USMNT in a generation) it was nice to see the best team win the title for once. Also the people in Toronto who make mocking comments about the CFL when you remind them that the Argos have brought the city a couple of titles since the 93 Jays are the same ones who go to Starbucks instead of Tims.

LOL 

XI9xFFG.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn it, Natural. That was a dive in the Merseyside Derby and you know it. Still don't know why Lovren had to do that when it was obvious Calvert-Lewin was going for. Dejan was naive for playing into it but still not a pelanty. Whatever. They created a bunch of opportunities that should've put it out of sight by that point anyway. Disappointed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of these are intriguing on paper:

Dortmund vs Atalanta

Celtic vs Zenit

Napoli vs Lipzig

Ostersund (managed by an Englishman) vs Arsenal 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

That stinks. In Bed With Maradona had some of the weirdest, micro-universe, down-the-rabbit-hole content of any sports site I've ever seen. It was a place where "every story is important to someone and we want to tell it".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing thing about the Europa League draw: it was (and still is) entirely possible for two teams (Leipzig and Salzburg) with the same owner (soda people) to meet in the knockout stage. That would not create a giant conflict of interest. Nope. Not at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

Manchester City: please stop hurting us.

Their owners are human rights abusing practitioners of modern day slavery, hurting people is what they do.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Manchester City: please stop hurting us.

Think @Pete might disagree there ; )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×