DVDVR Message Board

2017 NFL: WEEK FOURTEEN

Dolfan in NYC

21 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

They gotta give him a Shea Moisture lotion sponsorship after he came out with the rough looking legs. He clearly didn't think that one through. You can't be on HD television with your ankles looking like a Bosnian bomb shelter. 

Is there a black person in America that does not have a emergency tube of lotion or at least some hand sanitizer with aloe within arm's reach at all times? 

I have one at my desk at work and one in the glove box in my car. 

I also have gum and Chap Stick at the ready.  You might have to shake someone's hand or talk to somebody today and you don't want to have rough fingers and ashy elbows or shit breath and no one wants to see your cracked ass lips up close. 

it's Winter, mother fucker.  Use lip balm.

Uh, yeah.  We were talking about football..... GO STEELERS~!!! FIGHT AND WIN~!!!! 

• Haha 4

The Browns have fired Sashi Brown - who was technically titled "Executive Vice President" but had been running the personnel department the last two years.

The Haslams will hire a new GM but the expectation is that Hue Jackson will return as coach

Today's shakeup continues a run that has made Cleveland the NFL's most unstable franchise. Since returning to Cleveland, the Browns had had eight different general managers -- Brown, Ray Farmer, Michael Lombardi, Tom Heckert, George Kokinis, Phil Savage, Butch Davis and Dwight Clark. It also has employed longtime executives Paul DePodesta, Joe Banner, Mike Holmgren and Mike Keenan.

The Browns also have had nine head coaches since 1999, tied for 4th-most in the NFL. The Bills, Dolphins and Raiders have all had 10. But Jackson, at least for the time being, is staying on.

John Ross to the IR after only playing a handful of times. 

Marvin Lewis with textbook throw your player under the bus says "Ross was hiding a shoulder injury." Lewis the guy who never wanted to play him in the first place with a statement to make the player look bad. All he had to say was Ross has been hobbled by a bad shoulder the last few weeks and we as a team decided to place him on IR. Lewis though wanted to be a fuck nugget. Please let this be his last year. Also, fuck Burfict and fuck the Steelers. 

http://draftwire.usatoday.com/2017/12/07/marvin-lewis-john-ross-was-hiding-shoulder-injury-in-hopes-of-playing/

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The Browns have fired Sashi Brown - who was technically titled "Executive Vice President" but had been running the personnel department the last two years.

The Haslams will hire a new GM but the expectation is that Hue Jackson will return as coach

I don't actually think Sashi Brown did a bad job.  They planned on being bad and dumped all of their players before last season, and are trying to rebuild through draft picks.  They don't have a quarterback, their best receiver just got off a 3 year drug suspension, the 2nd best receiver is always injured, and everyone else on the team is essentially a teenager.  Kizer isn't good, but he's also a cheap, later round pick who you can replace with little to no cost.  Their defensive talent is young, but have shown flashes.  Garrett has been good.  He has 5 sacks in 7 games and is only getting better.  That team is young and has a bunch of draft picks in the next draft, it is impossible to judge Sashi Brown's performance yet.  You can't do a tank job and then get mad when your team tanks.  If that is the decision you make, you have to give it time to play out.  

Based on what writers are implying - it appears that Haslam had told Brown (and Jackson) that they had 3 years at least so Brown was working with that and why he didn't draft a QB yet (Though he wanted to pick Watson at #12 last year but Hue wanted Malik Hooker more - https://twitter.com/Cole_Kev/status/938821288344342528)

Then Haslam changed his mind because he was unhappy everyone had their QBs already

So yeah - it seems weird to blame Brown when QB whisperer Hue Jackson isn't really QB whispering

I agree with them not drafting a QB. Your team is fundamentally broken everywhere, what is plugging YET ANOTHER ROOKIE QB into that going to achieve? Fix some other problems first, then you plug in the QB. But whatever, I sort of expect them to "improve" to like 3-13 next year or something.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I agree with them not drafting a QB. Your team is fundamentally broken everywhere, what is plugging YET ANOTHER ROOKIE QB into that going to achieve? Fix some other problems first, then you plug in the QB. But whatever, I sort of expect them to "improve" to like 3-13 next year or something.

Until a couple of weeks ago, that may be the worst receiving corp. I've ever seen.  Cian Fahey, who watches every single play and grades every player, said that the difference between Kizer and Watson wasn't as big as people think.  The biggest difference is that the Texans' receivers are the best at catching inaccurate passes and Kizer's receivers fail to catch passes that are thrown right to them.  Kizer has been bad, he's too inaccurate, and isn't very careful with the ball, but his receivers have made him look even worse.  

I'm not paid to do this shit, I don't watch every single play, but I watched a shitload of Kizer at ND and a little bit with the Browns. That guy is nowhere near as good as Watson when it comes to decision making and progressing through his reads. Watson is also a better mobile QB. Was this guy's assessment purely based on just throwing the ball because to say that the difference between the two wasn't as big as people think is weird.

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I'm not paid to do this shit, I don't watch every single play, but I watched a shitload of Kizer at ND and a little bit with the Browns. That guy is nowhere near as good as Watson when it comes to decision making and progressing through his reads. Watson is also a better mobile QB. Was this guy's assessment purely based on just throwing the ball because to say that the difference between the two wasn't as big as people think is weird.

He was talking only about passing, and how Watson got bailed out by guys like DeAndre Hopkins and Will Fuller if the ball wasn't exactly on the money, but Kizer could be as accurate as possible and his receivers may somehow not catch it.  Look at someone like Case Keenum, who we've all watched be terrible over the years, but is somehow one of the highest rated quarterbacks in the league.  He didn't become a different player, he just has one of the best supporting casts in the league. 

I don't know if there are 5 truly great quarterbacks in the entire league, most of these dudes are getting propped up by their skill position talent.  It isn't a coincidence that Matt Ryan's career turned around when they got two stud running backs and a good #2 receiver.  Last year their entire offense was based on them making sure the defense had to somehow cover Julio Jones, who you can't cover one-on-one, Mohammed Sanu, either Devonte Freeman or Tevin Coleman, and Taylor Gabriel, and there isn't a defense who can do that consistently.  Matt Ryan won the MVP, but it is almost impossible to fail with that supporting cast (Shanahan's offense was a big part of this, Steve Sarkisian is a clear step down.).  

7 hours ago, supremebve said:

Until a couple of weeks ago, that may be the worst receiving corp. I've ever seen.  Cian Fahey, who watches every single play and grades every player, said that the difference between Kizer and Watson wasn't as big as people think.  The biggest difference is that the Texans' receivers are the best at catching inaccurate passes and Kizer's receivers fail to catch passes that are thrown right to them.  Kizer has been bad, he's too inaccurate, and isn't very careful with the ball, but his receivers have made him look even worse.  

Does Fahey actually watch every single play? I remember being introduced to his work when he popped up on LeBatard's show the week after the Cowboys' bloody mess against the Broncos and he mentioned Tyron Smith struggling with Von Miller. The only problem was that Miller probably lined up 75 percent of the time against Collins on the offense's right side. He definitely notched his sacks and pressures when matched up against Collins. Good façade if you can get away with it but just consider that he doesn't actually watch every single play the next time he proclaims such outlandish horseshit.  

6 minutes ago, FluffSnackwell said:

Does Fahey actually watch every single play? I remember being introduced to his work when he popped up on LeBatard's show the week after the Cowboys' bloody mess against the Broncos and he mentioned Tyron Smith struggling with Von Miller. The only problem was that Miller probably lined up 75 percent of the time against Collins on the offense's right side. He definitely notched his sacks and pressures when matched up against Collins. Good façade if you can get away with it but just consider that he doesn't actually watch every single play the next time he proclaims such outlandish horseshit.  

From what I understand he watches every play...eventually.  If you follow him on Twitter, you can kinda figure out when he is watching certain teams or reviewing a particular game.  The comparison he was doing between Watson and Kizer was on his Twitter feed where he  showed multiple examples of receivers bailing out Watson and receivers failing Kizer.  It was clearly something he was taking the time to concentrate on at that particular moment. 

I've watched a pretty good amount of Browns football this year and can tell you that Kizer is not very good, but he's a rookie 2nd round pick who no one really thought was NFL ready.  He should be expected to have his struggles.  How the hell can you expect him to succeed when he not only has to overcome his own inexperience, but he has to overcome the incompetence of his receivers.  Watson, who was ready to play on day one wasn't perfect, but his receivers are fucking dope.  DeAndre Hopkins has the widest catch radius in the league, if you throw it near him he will come down with the ball.  I think, that is what he was saying.  That isn't even taking into account the differences in coaching.  Say what you want about Bill O'Brien, but he did not run the same offense with Watson as the one he started the season with when Savage started.  He called plays that allowed Watson to use his skillset to succeed.  Jackson has been inconsistent at best with Kizer.  There are some games where they allow him to make simple reads and throw downfield, which is what he is good at.  He struggles when he has to take a seven-step drop go through all of his progressions and have to find an open receiver.  He's not ready to do that.  I think his ceiling will always be low, because of his inaccuracy, but he can be a Andy Dalton/Alex Smith level quarterback if you surround him with quality talent and put him in situations that fit his skill set.  One of my biggest sports pet peeves is when a team drafts a player in a position they shouldn't have picked him, played him before he was ready to play, and puts him in situations where he can do nothing but fail, then blame the player for failing.  As a Browns fan, I've seen it too many times to count.  Kizer is exactly what we should expect him to be at this point in his career.  He was available where he was available because no one expected him to be very good as a rookie, except the Browns started him so now we expect him to be something he's not close to being ready to be.  

• Like 1

Oh so very happy.

So as supreme touched on earlier when I brought up the Dan Patrick/Kirk Cousins stuff - I want to reiterate that he is right.

Suddenly this week - 4 - FOUR - national media guys have run with the KIRK COUSINS IS HATED BY HIS RECEIVERS!!!! story. So it is clear that it was leaked by Bruce Allen and the Skins front office. (Won't be the first or last time). All the local media guys have rightly shit on the story.

So Dan Patrick spent basically 30 minutes today shitting on one specific DC local radio guy because how dare you question Dan Patrick.

Oh so very happy

(Side tangent - the people who blindly defend Dan Patrick make me sad)