DVDVR Message Board

2017-18 NCAAF: GOIN' BOWLING!

Dolfan in NYC

Just so its all in one post

COTTON BOWL: No. 5 Ohio State vs. No. 8 USC (December 29, 8:30 p.m. ET)

FIESTA BOWL: No. 9 Penn State vs. No. 11 Washington (December 30, 4 p.m. ET)

ORANGE BOWL: No. 6 Wisconsin vs. No. 10 Miami (December 30, 8 p.m. ET)

PEACH BOWL: No. 7 Auburn vs. No. 12 UCF (January 1, 12:30 p.m. ET)

6 hours ago, EVA said:

USC/Ohio State in the Cotton Bowl, aka Lil' Rose Bowl.

Well that could potentially be interesting. If the Bucks romp and then Clemson destroys Bama that'll be ammunition for people who thought the Buckeyes should've gone.

Michigan gets Outback bowl over Sparty (Holiday) bowl which definitely isn't "fair" but money trumps resume often. It's also hilarious.

19 minutes ago, EVA said:

What I find funny is that FSU rescheduled that game with Louisiana-Monroe so they could get their 6th victory, and it won them...a trip to Shreveport, Louisiana.

That's like getting paid with your own money.

I'm really going to always wonder: were they massively overrated or was Francois so good they'd be like 10-2 right now?

Quick thoughts on some other bowls.   UAB is back as a program and their reward for playing well is the Bahamas Bowl (vs. Ohio) so congrats to them,  I'd love to go to that one.  

Iowa vs.  Boston College in the Pinstripes Bowl.  No idea if Iowa will travel well for it that could be a home game for BC.  

Old rivals Texas vs. Missouri in the Texas Bowl. 

One of my favorite match ups is TCU vs. Stanford in the Alamo Bowl.  That should be a great game. 

Taxslayer Bowl:  Lamar Jackson and Louisville against Mississippi St. could be fun. 

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm really going to always wonder: were they massively overrated or was Francois so good they'd be like 10-2 right now?

I think they would've had a really good shot at being 10-2.  9-3 at the least.  

If you look at how their season played out, with the exception of the Alabama loss and when they laid an egg against Boston College after abandoning all hope, they were still competitive in all their losses.  NC State only beat them by 6.  Miami beat them by 4 and had to pull off a pretty crazy finish to win.  Louisville won by just 3.  Clemson ended up beating them by a couple TDs, but that was a 3-point game in the 4th quarter.

They were still a good team everywhere except QB.  They finished with a Top 25 defense despite everything.  But Blackman threw 11 interceptions and fumbled 6 times and looked every bit the in-over-his-head freshman.  No doubt Francois, a  consensus top 10 QB coming into the season, could've made the difference in a lot of those games.

3 hours ago, EVA said:

What I find funny is that FSU rescheduled that game with Louisiana-Monroe so they could get their 6th victory, and it won them...a trip to Shreveport, Louisiana.

That's like getting paid with your own money.

All they care about is 36 Years now. 

Army faces SDSU in the Armed Forces Bowl. Navy is playing in the Military Bowl (on it's own home field) vs Virginia. Obviously the real bowl game for both is this Saturday. I say throw out the playoffs and declare the winner of the game (and the Commander in Chief's trophy) the national champion, GO ARMY, BEAT NAVY!!!

I will put this here since it is about a bowl game

FSU's Derwin James has declared for the draft and won't play in the Walk-Ons Independence Bowl (whose name cracks me up)

There are some doozies out there this year:  

CHERIBUNDI TART CHERRY BOCA RATON BOWL

QUICK LANE BOWL

MILITARY BOWL PRESENTED BY NORTHROP GRUMMAN (which sounds like you get put on a government watchlist just by watching)

COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFF AT THE ROSE BOWL GAME PRESENTED BY NORTHWESTERN MUTUAL (I look forward to Keith Jackson - or whoever - getting all of that out)

My favorite: 

BAD BOY MOWERS GASPARILLA BOWL

• 2 weeks later...