DVDVR Message Board

2017-18 NCAAF: GOIN' BOWLING!

Dolfan in NYC

Tomorrow's going to be a busy day for me so, I'll just open this now.  

Looks like it will be: Oklahoma, Clemson, Georgia, and either Ohio State or Alabama.  We'll know for certain at Noon tomorrow. 

Takes will be hot and steamy for the next few days.   The only correct one is: They should expand the playoffs to eight teams. 

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Takes will be hot and steamy for the next few days.   The only correct one is: They should expand the playoffs to eight teams. 

No way. We're down to a team that didn't play for their conference title and a team that got blown out by a 5 loss team. We really don't need to expand things so both of them get in AND more teams that are even less deserving. 

• Like 1

*insert my long held belief that it should be a sixteen team field with all ten conference champs and six at large bids here*

I said it in the other thread, but just to reiterate: tell them both to go screw and give it to UCF.

• Like 3

If anyone cares, 538's projection thing now gives Clemson and Oklahoma >99% chance of being selected, Georgia 98% and then gives Ohio 40%, Bama 28% and if you are looking for a dark horse that definitely won't pay off, USC 20, Auburn 11 and, just for @Ryan Wisconsin 2%.

4 hours ago, Tabe said:

No way. We're down to a team that didn't play for their conference title and a team that got blown out by a 5 loss team. We really don't need to expand things so both of them get in AND more teams that are even less deserving. 

This man is wise.

For all the heated debate, the Bama/Ohio State controversy is basically just an argument over who gets to be turned into glue by Clemson in the 1st round.

The two clear best teams are comfortably in.  The system is working.

I think it comes down to whether you value good wins or not having bad loses more.

I think Alabama is the better team but Ohio had the better season (yes I know about Iowa)

And I reiterate: fuck em both Central Florida didn't lose to anyone.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'd love to see Central Florida get a chance even though it'd probably be ugly.  The thing with these smaller teams is I guess to build a reputation.  If Boise St. didn't lose to Kaepernick that one year I think they might have been playing for the title. 

Yeah but the BCS treated mid-majors way better than this does.

I think they'd actually have a shot at being #4 under that system.

16 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Yeah but the BCS treated mid-majors way better than this does.

I think they'd actually have a shot at being #4 under that system.

Maybe if Central Florida keeps this up next season.  They could start next year in the AP top 25.   They don't have an impressive schedule but they do have North Carolina,  Pitt and Florida Atlantic and then Navy and Memphis in conference.  If they can go undefeated with that schedule hope that some of these teams end up ranked. 

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Maybe if Central Florida keeps this up next season.  They could start next year in the AP top 25.   They don't have an impressive schedule but they do have North Carolina,  Pitt and Florida Atlantic and then Navy and Memphis in conference.  If they can go undefeated with that schedule hope that some of these teams end up ranked. 

I think you're missing the point that the committee is basically all power Five reps and they don't want to let others in.

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

I think you're missing the point that the committee is basically all power Five reps and they don't want to let others in.

I understand that but if a small team builds up a rep and there's a bunch of 2-loss teams sitting around maybe it would put pressure on them. They say they want "the best four team".  Probably not,  I agree with you that it'll probably never happen. 

I wonder where we'd be if Boise St. was still crushing it. 

CFP committee chairman Kirby Hocutt said the 31-point loss to Iowa weighed Ohio State down and the Buckeyes were not close enough to the Tide for the Big Ten championship result to matter.

"As we saw Alabama play week in and week in out, the selection committee believed Alabama was the better football team,'' Hocutt said. "When we looked at Ohio State, when you looked at their résumé it was impressive, but it wasn't enough for the selection committee to place them in above Alabama."

By choosing Alabama over Ohio State for the No. 4 spot, the selection committee had to deem the Tide "unequivocally" better, which allows them to toss the tiebreaker criteria out the window. It is the same scenario that allowed the Buckeyes to get in last year without winning their division and in spite of a head-to-head loss to Penn State.