DVDVR Message Board

Recommend Me Some Import Games

What the topic says.  I'm not unfamiliar with the concept of import gaming and most of the older consoles I've owned over the years have accommodated import gaming and English translation patches, but I've never actually played many import games aside from the various Fire Pro games.  Actually, aside from Fire Pro, my actual experience with import games has been limited to Japanese wrestling games.

Anyway, I'm just bought the Final Mix/International versions of a few of my favorite Square Enix RPG's and it started me thinking that i should probably branch out and try a few imports.  I have no idea what good games are out there that didn't make it to North America.  So, if anyone has some recommendations, post them here.  I'm mostly a fan of RPG's and platformers, though lately I've been playing Parasite Eve and the original Resident Evil game and liked them well enough.

Right now, I have working SNES, N64, PS2, and Gamecube consoles.  The PS2 plays PSX games, of course.  Haven't ruled out eventually getting Sega Genesis or X-Box.  Not a huge fan of next gen consoles and games, but I am thinking I'll buy a PS4 next year for Fire Pro World and the next gen Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts titles.  Right now, PS2 is getting most of my play thanks to PSX shooters and the PS2 RPG's I mentioned above.  I'm a big fan of PSX/PS2 RPG's, so tacking an RPG that didn't get a NA release intrigues me, if there's anything really good out there.  I also really need to check out the Super Robot Wars games.  Never played any of them, but the idea of beating the stuffing out of well-known anime mechs intrigues me.

Thanks.

For SRW games on PS/PS2 there's the entire Alpha series, Original Generations (remake of the GBA games), Original Generations Gaiden and the first part of the Z series that I would recommend.  MX is fine, especially if you like super robots or Zeta MSV, but I didn't like part of the ending.  I would avoid Impact and the Scramble Commander games.

I'd also recommend the Gunbuster game and Sakura Taisen V, even if that's seemingly has been the death nail in the franchise.

• Like 1