DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2017 TV THREAD

RIPPA

I'm reading up on the top TV of 2017. First I'm hearing of it, but there was an incident in The Real Housewives of Auckland where a racial slur was used and the person who uttered it gets absolutely steamrolled while making a weak attempt at an apology.

I wish I could easily find the video. 

I don't know that I'm as high on Godless as others. Granted, I also didn't think as much of MINDHUNTER, either. Both are really good shows, both with their faults.

I think what fell flat for me about Godless was largely Michelle Dockery's character, who seems to be defined less by her choices and more by the men in her life, which is a little weird, given the overall Girl Power! thrust of the show. A pretty stark contrast to Merritt Wever, too (who I couldn't stand on TWD but is a force of goddamn nature on this show). I also didn't care much for the blatant "X meets Y" mash-up aspect of some of the story; the things they pulled from Shane or Magnificent Seven are fairly tired by now. That said, the last episode...hoo boy. That is how you do a finale.

MINDHUNTER just didn't seem pointed enough until it was hit-you-over-the-head obvious not just that things were going to spiral out of control, but how it would happen. The acting is great, but the pacing is all over the place. Maybe they'll get it right with the next season.

During the Mr. Robot finale, they aired a trailer for season 2 of the weirdest show of last season, which I would've bet the house against renewal, Falling Water.  It seems they'll be dialing back the weird, surreal stuff just a little this time around.  But god damn, what a bizarre show.

Watched the first half of the series premiere of the Chi and I need to see the rest. I loved what I saw. A series set in my favorite city, the one I can't get enough of, the good and bad of it? Yeah, I'm all in.

I don't know if this has been brought up but Pedro Pascal is out of season 4 of Narcos and being replaced by Diego Luna AND Michael Pena. I'm not sure if Agent Pena is being recasted or what, but production for the season is underway in Mexico City.

I've finally caved and started an Amazon Prime trial so I can get hopefully get some last-minute shipping done and delivered in time for Christmas. Maybe it's different elsewhere, but here in Canada the only archival title that looks remotely worth watching is Roseanne. American Gods and maybe Marvelous Mrs. Maisel are the only originals really grabbing my attention. Maybe Mozart in the Jungle... 

Those are some slim pickings. This service is in desperate need a hit. 

There's way more than that on Amazon that's worth watching depending on your tastes. Man in the High Castle for sci fi/drama, Catastrophe or Fleabag for comedy, I know some people like Red Oaks, and there's a whole lot more. Then again, these are ones listed in the US, so I'm not sure exactly what Canada does and doesn't have.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

There's way more than that on Amazon that's worth watching depending on your tastes. Man in the High Castle for sci fi/drama, Catastrophe or Fleabag for comedy, I know some people like Red Oaks, and there's a whole lot more. Then again, these are ones listed in the US, so I'm not sure exactly what Canada does and doesn't have.

Yeah, we've got all that. Didn't notice Fleabag at first as they weren't putting that front and center. But I remember it getting positive reviews from people I read. I'll probably add it to the list. 

With these services, we generally receive the same originals as America. But the libraries can vary wildly. 

Trying to catch up on the Tales from the Crypt stuff in the shame pile here and as much as I thought Matt Hardy stole the "YES" inflection from Mr. Deltoid I think he stole even more from John Astin in "Top Billing". 

In other news because me and my buddy's lady friend have been looking endlessly for the Bob Ross Chia Pet, she found the Groot one and we gave in. The Bob Ross Chia Pet being an out-of-stock Xmas gift is actually very heartening for me this year (and because people have bought it; I fucking love Bob Ross. And if you don't, there's the door). 

• Like 1

On 19/12/2017 at 10:54 PM, Craig H said:

Burned through 2 and a half seasons of Catastrophe over the last few days and it’s one of my favorite shows already.

• Like 1

I decided to give “The Orville” a try last night and I’m at episode six already. I adore this show. I tried to watch Discovery but I lost interest. But this feels like Star Trek, it looks like a Star Trek TV show should look, and it gets what makes Trek great. And I love the humor, why not a funny take on the interpersonal parts to go with the serious adventures? And Penny Johnson just seals the deal.

14 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I decided to give “The Orville” a try last night and I’m at episode six already. I adore this show. I tried to watch Discovery but I lost interest. But this feels like Star Trek, it looks like a Star Trek TV show should look, and it gets what makes Trek great. And I love the humor, why not a funny take on the interpersonal parts to go with the serious adventures? And Penny Johnson just seals the deal.

I could not agree more. Someone wrote in one of these threads (might have been the November thread, I am too lazy to look it up) that both Discovery and The Orville are the proof that bad Trek is still good TV. I cannot agree with that statement. Discovery is (for the couple of episodes I watched) boring as fuck. They could not have done a worse job with the setting, the main storyline and the characters. On the other hand the only way that The Orville is bad Trek is that it might not match Gene Rodenberry's vision (even though it's closer to it than any "real" Trek was since TNG).

I think I said that Discovery and the Orville proved the Pizza-ness of Star Trek.
Discovery went downhill from there, sadly. They wrote to THE BINGE, and it made vast swaths of it not matter at all.  There was more character development in a single episode of the Orville than (outside of Burnham) the entire season so far of Discovery.  It's so bad we've resorted to identifying characters by physical aspects because we can't retain their names.

Captain bad eyes

Beardy traitor

The intern

Doug Jones

Stamet's husband?

Stamets was originally just a scientist working on the spore drive, now he's chief engineer?

Meanwhile even Yaphit, Norm McDonald's jokey sfx character, has been fleshed out on The Orville.   Brannon Braga is an executive producer/consultant on Orville, which makes so much sense once you realize it.

MacFarlane's ...influence lessens as the season goes on, and each episode is old-school done-in-one (TM Maggie Thompson)

I'd recommend (** ESPECIALLY so, very Trek)

Ep3 "About A Girl"

**Ep4 "If the Stars Should Appear"

Ep5 "Pria"

**Ep8 "Into The Fold"

Ep9 "Cupid's Dagger"

**Ep10 "Firestorm"

**Ep11 "New Dimensions"

I actually like Discovery fine. Its not classic Trek, but its interesting enough story/character wise. There is an overemphasis on Burnham though I think its completely disingenuous to claim there little to no character development.

Saying all that I do think Orville is the better show though I have to disagree about McFarlane's influence lessening as it went on. There was definitely times in the middle and towards the end of this first half you could feel his tendencies pushing a bit much, just never enough to actually ruin an episode.