DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2017 TV THREAD

RIPPA

If you have any interest at all in watching Netflix’s GODLESS, I’d recommend you do it quickly before it gets too spoiler out there, as more and more people find out what a good show it is.

The ending of a certain episode punched me in the gut as hard as it could last night.  I did not see that coming.

The “Sabrina the Teenage Witch” series that had previously been in development at The CW has moved over to Netflix. Originally planned as a companion series to the other Archie Comics series “Riverdale,” The CW had been developing the “Chilling Adventures of Sabrina” adaptation for the 2018-19 TV season, but the series will instead air on the streaming platform with a 20-episode order.

Netflix hijacks the Riverdale bandwagon.

If I didn't already have Netflix, this news would infuriate me.

Watching the Batman 66 episode with the Archer (Art Carney).

it turns out the guy playing “Crier Tuck” is Doodles Weaver, the comic who was part of Spike Jones’ troupe. Turns out he is also Sigorney Weaver’s uncle. 

And Archie Moore has a cameo in part 1 as a candy machine owner. 

And Sam Jaffe is in part 2.

A couple of thoughts on some shows I finished this weekend:

LOVE on Netflix is brutal. I'm not talking about the quality, but the way that relationship unfolds over two seasons. By the end of Season 2 I was shaking my head at the TV in disgust. I know addiction is a nasty thing from personal experience, but I couldn't help it.

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend went from a quirky and awkward/cringe show (but still really funny and good) at the beginning to, somewhere in the middle and the end of Season 2, borderline dark and depressing. The season finale was especially sad. I'm kind of bummed I can't find an official way to watch the first few episodes of the new season, since I believe Xfinity on Demand only has episode 3 to the newest one. I'll figure something out.

I'm watching a few episodes of Black Mirror that I skipped over last time I watched this series, in preparation for the new season. HOT TAKE: San Junipero kind of fucking sucks.

FUTURE MAN on Hulu is probably the dumbest thing I've found myself enjoying in a long time.  

The whole thing just cracks me up imagining all my stupid video game characters I've created over the years dealing in the real world and, I mean, I'm all in for anything Eliza Coupe.

4 hours ago, Casey said:

LOVE on Netflix is brutal. I'm not talking about the quality, but the way that relationship unfolds over two seasons. By the end of Season 2 I was shaking my head at the TV in disgust. I know addiction is a nasty thing from personal experience, but I couldn't help it.

There is absolutely no reason for either of them to be together, they are such badly matched people. Mickey may be an addict, but Gus is a straight up piece of shit. Such a fake ass nice guy with zero redeeming qualities.

1 minute ago, elizium said:

There is absolutely no reason for either of them to be together, they are such badly matched people. Mickey may be an addict, but Gus is a straight up piece of shit. Such a fake ass nice guy with zero redeeming qualities.

So it's exactly like real life is what you're saying.

28 minutes ago, elizium said:

I think he's very desperate to be loved and doesn't understand much about being able to love yourself without being dependent on another person to love him. Love is a brutal show. Gus needs to get on OK Cupid or something because trying to change Mickie into someone that's a good match for him or hoping that Mickie changes on her own isn't going to happen. It will look like it's going to happen and his heart will get broken. I'd really like to see each character learn more about what they need and find people that fit them better.

Gus is just really dumb when it comes to relationships. I don't think he's a piece of shit or that he's a fake nice guy. He's just hopeless.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Casey said:

I'm watching a few episodes of Black Mirror that I skipped over last time I watched this series, in preparation for the new season. HOT TAKE: San Junipero kind of fucking sucks.

This was a case of all the hype surrounding it making it really tough to live up to expectations and I wasn't terribly thrilled with it either.  I think the hype centered on "omg 80s aesthetic and lgbt love story representation" and overlooked the episode not actually being that good.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I think he's very desperate to be loved and doesn't understand much about being able to love yourself without being dependent on another person to love him. Love is a brutal show. Gus needs to get on OK Cupid or something because trying to change Mickie into someone that's a good match for him or hoping that Mickie changes on her own isn't going to happen. It will look like it's going to happen and his heart will get broken. I'd really like to see each character learn more about what they need and find people that fit them better.

Gus is just really dumb when it comes to relationships. I don't think he's a piece of shit or that he's a fake nice guy. He's just hopeless.

I agree with all this.  Gus is one of those people who has been kind of a loser and milquetoast his whole life so whenever he gets in a position where things are going potentially well for him relationship-wise or professionally he doesn't know how to handle himself and goes overboard.  He was also very inconsistently written in season 1 where he'd gravitate between being a decent guy and then becoming a Woody Allen esque neurotic caricature to suit the plot.  As toxic as their relationship is I also liked the show in how earnest it portrayed the types of relationships some people get into.

• Like 2

Yeah, I agree with all of that. I looked at some of his consistency in season 2 as a form of growth, similar to what they've done with Richard on Silicon Valley. In fact, both characters are somewhat similar. One is learning to stand up for himself in relationships or learning how relationships work while the other is learning how the corporate world works or how relationships with co-workers or co-founders work in that corporate world.

And in growing, they're both gravitating more towards being dicks at times, Richard especially. At least with Richard, in the second half of the last season, you could see him start to gravitate back towards being a good guy and realizing he was too much of an asshole. Each character needs to find some kind of balance.

Netflix decided to go ahead with House of Cards final season, but Kevin Spacey will not be a part of the show.  Show will now focus on Robin Wright's character.  Kevin Spacey's character is going to be written out.  Rumor is he dies offscreen.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/12/04/568361068/house-of-cards-will-get-one-more-season-starring-robin-wright

6 hours ago, elizium said:

Yeah, I got that from the first episode and stopped watching.

Knigtfall on History Channel was pretty good.  It has enough bullshit and actual historical fact in equal measure to make the show interesting and somewhat educational.

You may be disappointed if you really like Vikings, though.  This show is nowhere near as bloody as that one, at least not in the first episode.