DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2017 MOVIE THREAD

Curt McGirt

I know most of it (again) will be over in the Comic Book sub-folder but I will just mention in general that the Disney/Fox talks are back on and supposedly a deal will be done by next week

17 hours ago, J.T. said:

ATTENTION ODESSASTEPS~!

The Abominable Dr. Phibes and Dr. Phibes Strikes Again are on heavy rotation on Comet.

Just dled and rewatched Abominable for the first time in probably 20 years last week. Still as gorgeous and creepy as I remember it. Growing up it was one of my dad's favourites, so it got a lot of play around my house.

• Like 1

Strikes Again is still in my pile of shame. I grabbed the two-on-one DVD when our local video store was going out of business along with Demons (meanwhile, talk about shame, I didn't grab ANYTHING from their insane foreign library and I will forever kick myself for that. Apparently some douchebag who didn't know what Zatoichi was snagged the entire box set to flip it online; if I was behind the counter instead of my friend who checked him out I would've strangled him). 

Watching Kind Hearts and Coronets on TCM and they showed the British version, which includes the use of the N word as part of "ernie, meenie, money, mo." 

----

At the beginning of Bell Book and Candle, there's a Kinsey Report joke. Wasn't expecting that. 

I did an inadvertant Brie Larson double feature this weekend.

First up was KONG: SKULL ISLAND.  I went into it with zero expectations, as I am just so fucking done with all this IP extended universe bullshit.  I basically just told myself I'd watch it until it got too stupid for me to bear, which surely couldn't be more than 30 minutes.  But then I kept watching and watching and watching.  This movie SHOULD NOT WORK but somehow manages to walk a very narrow tightrope while juggling a lot of different tones without falling off into absolute stupidity.  I feel like this is the movie that the JURASSIC WORLD films wish they were.   And Samuel L. Jackson gets a better villain to play than anyone in the Marvel universe so far.

Jordan Vogt-Roberts' direction here gives me some hope for the METAL GEAR SOLID adaptation he's working on.  I love those games, but they are a mess of wildly different tones in their own right.  KONG proves he can make that work, though.

On the flip side,  it's not a great sign for Tom Hiddelston's career as a leading action man that John C. Reilly stole this movie from him.

Then I ended up watching Ben Wheatley's FREE FIRE, which was also super fun, but in a completely different way.  It's basically 30 mintues of buildup to a gun deal that goes wrong and then an hour of the most hilariously inept, feeble gun fight you'll ever see.  Afterwards, I was surprised to see how many top critics completely missed the boat on this one and dismissed it as a 90's Tarantino/Ritchie wannabe, when it seemed pretty obvious to me that it was a direct lampooning of those movies.  Pretty much anytime a character is on the verge of coming across as cool or capable in any way, you can be certain something bad is about to happen to them.

• Like 1

I was ready to hate that movie and wasn't digging the initial exposition. I had just finished watching every Toho Godzilla movie made for the first time (I am a nerd!) and really didn't dig the 2014 US Godzilla. So my bias was working against it. Then Kong destroyed and all was good. Hiddleston was given next to nothing of interest in that though, so it's really not on him so much as a weakness of the script. And yeah, John C. Reilly was un-fucking-real in it. Kong was one of the best pleasant surprises I've had watching a movie in a long time.

One of the things I liked best about it is that understood they were making a matinee thriller and kept it blessedly short. No trying to stretch it to 2:15 or whatever. They got in, showed off the effects, told a quick story and got out.

Kong: Skull Island was great and my daughter went 100% apeshit during the end credit scene along with everybody else in the theater.

6 hours ago, Oyaji said:

really didn't dig the 2014 US Godzilla.

It definitely suffered from too many humans talking and not enough monsters smashing stuff in the first act but as soon as Godzilla breathed atomic fire, all was right with the world.

I thought the quality of opposition in the movie was a bit weak, but you can't just drop Ghidora or any of the traditional space monster opposition in there with no backstory.

I mostly agree, so I'm expecting the next one with the heavy hitters to be a lot better. Plus, it was weird they went with saviour Godzilla so quickly when it took the Japanese like 20 years to get to that point. Cultural differences and America's Godzilla is far more generic than the initial metaphor for nuclear proliferation. 

I fucking loved Kong Skull Island. It was one of the most pleasant surprises I've seen in years. And not going to lie, I teared up a couple times for John C. Reilly.

It helps that his character was a huge Cubs fan.

If anyone doesn't have the Alien movies, the six film Blu-ray/digital hd collection is Amazon deal of the day for $28.

You can actually get the entire Allen/Predator combined series for about $60 on Blu-ray.

Don't know if it helps but I got a pack with 1-4 and a shitload of bonus stuff from a buddy of mine for the grand total of $10. It has to be a little older now so even if you aren't gonna get friend rates it should be cheaper. Also Walmart has all of those for sale in a big pack right now (might be the same one Amazon's selling), but I didn't check the price since I own them already. 

And of course I know you were making a joke. Funny Rusev

EDIT: Speaking of funny, you know what I didn't rewatch off that set? Give you a single guess! 

For those that are interested - the "Semifinalists" for Best Foreign Film Oscar

The Foreign Language Films advancing to the next round are:

Chile, A Fantastic Woman, Sebastián Lelio, director;

Germany, In the Fade, Fatih Akin, director

Hungary, On Body and Soul, Ildikó Enyedi, director

Israel, Foxtrot, Samuel Maoz, director

Lebanon, The Insult, Ziad Doueiri, director

Russia, Loveless, Andrey Zvyagintsev, director

Senegal, Félicité, Alain Gomis, director

South Africa, The Wound, John Trengove, director

Sweden, The Square, Ruben Östlund, director

Basically the nominees will come from this list of 9

I've only seen On Body and Soul.  I didn't think much of it, but take into account it was the 21st of 22 movies I watched at the Toronto Film Festival this year, at which point I'm pretty much like "Another 2-hour foreign film, kill me now."

Loveless and The Square are on my to-watch list.

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Losing it watching Black Dynamite right now. CAPTAIN KANGAROO PIMP~!

"Anaconda Malt Liquor: Brewed In Piedmont, Georgia."

Man, it sucked they cancelled the animated series. The ratings weren't great, but I sense the feud between Carl Jones and McGruder spilled into that and Aaron probably made a power move to get Adult Swim to choose between either Black Jesus or Black Dynamite. As a fan of both shows, it would suck if that was the case. Maronzio Vance, who was a writer on the Boondocks when Carl and Aaron fell out, said Aaron cancelled his audition for Black Jesus because Aaron knew Maronzio had worked on Black Dynamite (which predated Black Jesus by a couple of years) w/ Carl who hired him for the Boondocks. Oh, Hollywood pettiness.

Well, at least I have the live action movie.

"The militants turned startled!"