DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2017 MOVIE THREAD

Curt McGirt

Good Time is bat-shit crazy. It's like an hour and fourty minute anxiety attack, but in the best way possible. Those of you who live in big cities will probably be somewhat immune though. Also, if you ever wanted to put a stake in Robert Pattinson's heart, hold back because his role here might change your mind. 

Oh, and Necro is in it, who I identified by the lisp

31 minutes ago, Control said:

Watching Zatoichi the Fugitive and Tokuzo Tanaka was no slouch behind the camera. Knew a thing or two about framing shots and dynamic camera movement.

I told you months ago that movie was fucking awssome!  It is my favorite movie in the franchise!

Why are you just now getting to watch it?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I told you months ago that movie was fucking awssome!

Why are you just now getting to watch it?

Well, you weren’t wrong, but I got 25 Zatoichi films and all the time in the world.

• Like 2

You got the Zatoichi Criterion Boxed Set?

ARGH~!

I collected some of the reissued films on DVD after IFC Films re-released them when Samurai Saturdays was still a thing, but I'd still like to get my hands on the Criterion Collection..

• Like 2

Bought it on the last Barnes and Noble 50% sale and used a $30 coupon which wasn’t supposed to work but did. 

Next goal is the LW&C set.

anyway, opening credits to Zatoichi and The Chest of Gold are among greatest ever.

• Like 2

Wasn’t planning to watch another but my dog is asleep on my chest so I’m couch-bound.

next is either Chess Master or Fight Zatoichi Fight.

This one is pretty stellar though. Ichi just killed three dudes while sitting down having a smoke.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Control said:

Wasn’t planning to watch another but my dog is asleep on my chest so I’m couch-bound.

next is either Chess Master or Fight Zatoichi Fight.

This one is pretty stellar though. Ichi just killed three dudes while sitting down having a smoke.

You're not talking about the dragonfly scene from Zatoichi On The Road are you?

Oh, you're watching Chest of Gold! 

I fucking hated Jushiro, the whip wielding douchebag bad guy in that movie. 

He is right behind Yasaburo Kashiwazaki from Samaritan Zatoichii on my list of Best Zatoichi Villains That Got What Was Coming To Them..

The move that Zatoichi to finish off Kashiwazaki with was fucking sick!

10 minutes ago, Control said:

But that’s Wakayama, innit? You can sure tell that dude knows how to use a sword in real life.

Yep.  That's Wakayama.  I tried my best not to hate Jushiro because that's actually Ogami Itto, but Wakayama being an awesome actor made it hard.

And yeah, that kenjutsu work is no fucking joke.  Kenji Misumi and Tokuzo Tanaka made it a point cast guys like Wakayama and Jushiro Konoe who were not only decent actors, they had legit sword skills.

Hard to find fault with Chest of Gold. That last fight scene was something. 

Also, Jushiro is a little different, since Ichi’s rival is often down-on-his-luck ronin who is otherwise decent but Jushiro is just a straight-up piece of shit.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Control said:

Hard to find fault with Chest of Gold. That last fight scene was something. 

Also, Jushiro is a little different, since Ichi’s rival is often down-on-his-luck ronin who is otherwise decent but Jushiro is just a straight-up piece of shit.

Zatoichi's antagonist split the difference between the two archetypes. 

Sometimes he'll be up against someone like Lord Akazuka in Zatoichi Challenged who is an honorable man bound by his code to uphold the will of corrupt officials or sometimes he will be pitted against the dregs of society like ruthless gangster Yasaburo Kashiwazaki or the psychotic chess expert, Jumonji.

If you get ANY. CHANCE. to see Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri in the theater, take it. Not a single damn film this year is gonna top that. And you will cry as much as you will laugh, I promise. 

On the other hand, if you have a chance to rent The Bad Batch... don't. Just don't. 45 minutes in and I still didn't know what the fucking movie was about, or even that Jim Carrey was playing a mute wanderer. I put a halt to it after I cheated and went to Wiki, read the rest of what was going to happen and said "holy fuck this movie is just awful".

EDIT: Also, for us Wire fans out there, Three Billboards has the return of Lester Motherfucking Freamon in the flesh. So there's that as another hook...

Last night The Wife and I got ribs from a roving BBQ truck in Toledo, took them home and ate them while watching The Big Sick. The ribs were awesome. The Big Sick was even better than the ribs!

If Kumail Nanjiani can't write his own ticket after that film then something is seriously wrong in la la land

James

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:30 PM, Control said:

anyway, opening credits to Zatoichi and The Chest of Gold are among greatest ever.

I dug Chest of Gold out of the archives and took it to work with me to watch it and figure out what you were talking about.

Yes, the Bond tribute opening credits to Chest of Gold were indeed fucking awesome.  I forgot all about those.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, J.T. said:

I dug Chest of Gold out of the archives and took it to work with me to watch it and figure out what you were talking about.

Yes, the Bond tribute opening credits to Chest of Gold were indeed fucking awesome.  I forgot all about those.

I trust this wasn't a wasted experience, then.

21 hours ago, Control said:

I trust this wasn't a wasted experience, then.

Nope, not wasted.  it turned into a double feature and I watched Zatoichi Challenged right after that.

Then I had about an hour or so to get some Watch Dogs 2 in before the football game.