DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

If you were going to be a moron and create a new football league, the logic choice for you big name free agent is Kaepernick.    That will get attention.  The problem is that if you are creating a football league to appeal to overly sensitive Trump snowflakes then that is the worst idea possible.   

And if the market is so ripe for a new football league, explain to me how the Arena football league that has existed for over 20 years goes from about 10-12 teams to 6 in one year with two teams being owned by the same people :lol:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OSJ said:

Vince is a millionaire,  not a billionaire,

Actually, he's back to being a billionaire again.  He's apparently worth around $1.6 billion now.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Hell, just base it in the South, be ultra patriotic and violent, and let That Guy in the White House attend or promote a few games, and there ya go. 

An endorsement from the President would be the surest sign this will fail.  Just ask Luther Strange and Roy Moore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, OSJ said:

the most talented players are in the NFL making great money. Your next most talented guys are in the CFL and doing okay.

This isn't untrue, and I'm not trying to make any point with respect to the XFL here, but I feel it undersells the gap a little.  From a 2014 SI article:

For perspective: Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan took home $42 million last year, enough to cover the salaries of every CFL player.

20 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

An endorsement from the President would be the surest sign this will fail.  Just ask Luther Strange and Roy Moore.

It's a little different, though. In an election, there's multiple sides voting against each other. If.... someone.... endorsed Vince's new league, all they'd need are his followers (or whatever you want to call them) to watch and they'd do fine. All the league would be competing against are other shows airing at the same time and the NFL, obviously, instead of against people who might outnumber or oppose their views and that motivates them to get out and do something about it.

All I'm saying is that there are actually people who have stopped watching the NFL because of the protests and all that other shit. Hell, if this starts up tomorrow and is ultra patriotic and violent, there's a good 20-30 people within my social circles that would for sure support this. They'd watch it, while sharing posts on Facebook about how "kneeling during the anthem is a crime and please sign this petition to tell the NFL to grow a pair and punish these guys".

If we're being realistic, Vince should go the opposite way and open up his own racing league since NASCAR is losing popularity. I'm sure he has Bob Holly on speed dial on his flip phone.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Casey said:

It's a little different, though. In an election, there's multiple sides voting against each other. If.... someone.... endorsed Vince's new league, all they'd need are his followers (or whatever you want to call them) to watch and they'd do fine. All the league would be competing against are other shows airing at the same time and the NFL, obviously, instead of against people who might outnumber or oppose their views and that motivates them to get out and do something about it.

All I'm saying is that there are actually people who have stopped watching the NFL because of the protests and all that other shit. Hell, if this starts up tomorrow and is ultra patriotic and violent, there's a good 20-30 people within my social circles that would for sure support this. They'd watch it, while sharing posts on Facebook about how "kneeling during the anthem is a crime and please sign this petition to tell the NFL to grow a pair and punish these guys".

If we're being realistic, Vince should go the opposite way and open up his own racing league since NASCAR is losing popularity. I'm sure he has Bob Holly on speed dial on his flip phone.

Do try to cultivate a better social circle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

If you were going to be a moron and create a new football league, the logic choice for you big name free agent is Kaepernick.    That will get attention.  The problem is that if you are creating a football league to appeal to overly sensitive Trump snowflakes then that is the worst idea possible.   

And if the market is so ripe for a new football league, explain to me how the Arena football league that has existed for over 20 years goes from about 10-12 teams to 6 in one year with two teams being owned by the same people :lol:

You have to remember that this is Vince.  How many times has he signed people and run angles for the shock value?  We could make a list a mile long.  Which is exactly why he will sign Kaep.  The promoter in Vince will do it and Steph will nod her head in agreement telling Vince great things about their social media engagement.

Because hey, wins, losses, and crowd sizes do not matter.  It is all about those social media metrics.

I so want to see this now given the current state of the WWE.

If Vince wants to start up an alternative sports league, just do an American Ninja Warrior/American Gladiators knockoff. Production costs on that type of show is pretty cheap, and you can always get Crossfit and weekend warrior types to try out if you offer a decent cash prize. They can even tap into all the folks they have signed to the Performance Center who will never make it on to NXT, use some of them as professional competitors against the contestants. Both men and women can compete. It's the kind of mindless fun competition-based programming networks love to show during the summer. Heck, set up all this at the PC. Someone will sign up just to get a paid trip to Orlando.

We'll get another football league that will fail, clearly. It'll be entertaining to watch it implode, but it's such a waste of time and resources. But the McMahon grandkids won't ever be strapped for cash, so what does it matter.

A football league has no chance of working unless it's bringing something completely new to the table that is so unlike the NFL that it's nearly a different sport.  People do not and will not watch second rate product it doesn't matter what the politics are.  

I'd rather watch the wrestlers do goofy things like explore haunted houses or appear on Iron Chef.  

Lapsed fanbase? Check.

Go up against giant monopoly? Check.

I've got a foolproof plan. They should headquarter in Nashville and run weekly PPV's. 

What could possibly go wrong?

And really, I think all the huffing about NFL fan boycotts is equal to #cancelwwenetwork. 

• Like 3

The NFL fan boycotts are probably more real than people are giving credit to, whether its enough to make the NFL advertisers nervous I don't know, but there are people that legitimately stopped watching NFL this year due to the politics/kneeling.

That being said, a major production lower tier football league will never work on a national level because we already have college football for those that want an alternative to the NFL. People are loyal to their schools and what not so college football is safe forever, but I don't see people getting emotionally invested in a third league. Arena Football et al have been around forever but it only works because the players are making 30K a year and they keep overhead to a minimum, which isn't what Vince is known for. So I can see Vince exploring it, then realizing only fourth level cable channels are interested and realizing the finances just don't line up.

Anecdotally, I can say I heard over Thanksgiving about people no longer watching, including the local VFW no longer showing games.

The funny part is I know people on the left who have also given up watching, due to the violence/CTE etc.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

How about a room full of snakes?

I know it's wrestling an' all, but:

1) Why didn't the Ultimate Warrior die or somesuch?

2) Why did he blow it all off to join Hogan in feuding with Slaughter & co?

It has to be said, that was a fucking weird year for WWF.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, България завинаги said:

I know it's wrestling an' all, but:

1) Why didn't the Ultimate Warrior die or somesuch?

2) Why did he blow it all off to join Hogan in feuding with Slaughter & co?

It has to be said, that was a fucking weird year for WWF.

1) Rubber cobras usually aren't venomous. Maybe Warrior's roids countered the cobra's venom. I dunno.

2) Presumbaly, the Jake/Warrior feud would have resumed after Summerslam if Warrior wasn't fired.

1991 was a pretty weird year. I was more bothered that Jake was going to be on a Survivor Series team with the guy that killed Damien a few months earlier. Maybe Earthquake killing Damien is what pushed the evil back out of Jake.

9 hours ago, hammerva said:

Are you kidding? Vince would sign Kaepernick to play for the Baltimore Blacks, and pit them against the Charlottesville Supremacists or some shit.

23 minutes ago, We Are The Robots said:

Are you kidding? Vince would sign Kaepernick to play for the Baltimore Blacks, and pit them against the Charlottesville Supremacists or some shit.

Well based on what happened in Baltimore during the season who is the babyface team :D