DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Starting at 10:10ish Eva Marie provides a defense that professional wrestling should be considered a sport and that the wrestlers are athletes. Somehow I never expected Eva Marie to be defending pro-wrestling as a sport but 2017 has been one helluva year

11 minutes ago, Log said:

What’s that all about?

Covington was going at it on Twitter with Kenny Florian for something he said on UFC Tonight and he brought up Florian getting fired from somewhere for having plagerized an article and he ended up bringing CM Punk into it for no reason in Colby Covington typical fashion.

Random little blurb from Meltzer in the new WON

It looks like there are plans to do more Raw & Smackdown tapings in the same building in 2018. For example, Phoenix will have both shows on 2/20 and 2/21. It makes it difficult to get tickets sold for Smackdown at normal prices, but live gates are not nearly as important and you can get bodies in the building by offering tickets for both events at one event prices. It’s really about it having bodies for television, and you save on the production end because you only have to set up once instead of twice, and it cuts down on travel and is easier for all involved in production

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:21 PM, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

I guess Jushin Thunder Liger isn't hip to the Twitter.  Dave Meltzer retweeted this

Liger is a man after my own heart.  One thing I cannot stand is a cold meal, especially during this time of the year.

Lol.

I dunno what the context is.  For some reason, Meltzer's arguing with people on Twitter over whether Hulk Hogan or El Santo will be more famous after both die (Santo died 33 years ago).  I try not to pay too close attention to Dave's Twitter beefs.

El Santo was voted like the 5th greatest Mexican of all time in a poll several years back. Not greatest athlete, not greatest entertainer, greatest Mexican period. In terms of cultural relevance him and Rikidozan crush any American wrestler ever by a margin so big that merely calling it gigantic would be an understatement.

4 minutes ago, sabremike said:

El Santo was voted like the 5th greatest Mexican of all time in a poll several years back. Not greatest athlete, not greatest entertainer, greatest Mexican period. In terms of cultural relevance him and Rikidozan crush any American wrestler ever by a margin so big that merely calling it gigantic would be an understatement.

Yeah, Dave mentioned that.  Santo was 4th in the poll and had been deceased for 10 years at that point.

31 minutes ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Lol.

I dunno what the context is.  For some reason, Meltzer's arguing with people on Twitter over whether Hulk Hogan or El Santo will be more famous after both die (Santo died 33 years ago).  I try not to pay too close attention to Dave's Twitter beefs.

The other day he was arguing with someone back and forth over who is more popular -- John Cena or Conor McGregor smh...

Watched the Stan Hansen/Sgt. Slaughter Bunkhouse match from AWA and thought it was really short and underwhelming.

Also watched a Stan Hansen/Vader as Leon White match from AWA TV and thought it was really underwhelming too.

I also have the Bockwinkel match from WrestleRock '86 and a Hennig match from May '86.

What's the general thought on Hansen's AWA run?

His 80's - 90's AJPW runs were epic as was his WWC run in Puerto Rico from the 80's. Was looking forward to this AWA stuff, but am underwhelmed so far.

Edit: A long Hansen/Slaughter feud could have been fantastic at the time. Given proper time and a well built lengthy feud, they could've produced some quality bloody brawls.

In defense of the Vader match, Vader seemed like he was just breaking into the business. Their later matches such as the NJPW and the wild brawl in the NWA were far superior.

Just finished watching the Bockwinkel match and it was pretty underwhelming too. Hansen doesn't seem like he's going all out in these matches and he's on the end of a lot of offense and not nearly getting as much in as he usually did in AJPW. Also the finish didn't help.