DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

A lawsuit filed by Marcus "Buff" Bagwell and Scott "Raven" Levy against WWE attempting to open the door for wrestlers to get royalties for appearances on the WWE Network was dropped officially yesterday in an agreement between the lawyers for both sides.

WWE had filed a lawsuit against Levy claiming he had made false statements about a prior lawsuit, where Levy and several other former wrestlers had sued to attempt to get employee status for wrestlers claiming they were not independent contractors. In that case, it was
thrown out due to the statute of limitations from when the deals were in place to when the lawsuit was filed having expired. Levy, on a Chris Jericho podcast, had apparently said that Vince McMahon had paid off a judge.

The agreement was made between lawyers that both lawsuits were to be dropped. However, in the settlement agreement, WWE retained the rights to refile the lawsuit against Levy if he were to ever sue WWE again on any contractual matters.

After recent depositions by WWE of Bagwell and Levy, their lawyers opened up settlement talks regarding dropping of the case.

Levy and Bagwell were represented by Klint Bruno and Matthew Peterson of Chicago and William H. Clendenen Jr. of New Haven. The WWE was represented by Jerry McDevitt of Pittsburgh, Jeffrey Mueller of Hartford, and Jonathan Tropp of Stamford.

https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/bagwell-raven-wwe-royalties-lawsuit-dropped-agreement-reached-247651

On 12/7/2017 at 1:37 PM, RIPPA said:

Well now I am confused since the part I posted was literally what Dave wrote in the Observer.

I didn't see what Dave wrote, but on the radio show, it was stated that WWE officials learned about the match when it was announced to the public.  Maybe that was incorrect and Dave corrected himself when he went into print.

After recent depositions by WWE of Bagwell and Levy, their lawyers opened up settlement talks regarding dropping of the case.

Lol, guess those depositions didn't go so well.  I'm now really curious as to why.  I've always felt like claiming CTE after the fact is an even thornier issue for wrestlers than it is for football because wrestling generally has less rigorous testing than the NFL and, unlike pro football, most guys worked elsewhere for a lot of years and a lot of different promotions before being signed to the WWE and then went back to the indys after working WWE.  If I had to guess, I'd think ECW had a lot more to do with trauma to Raven's brain than his tenure with the WWE did.  Also, I'm can easily imagine a guy like Levy or Buff not making the best impression on a jury.  I'm guessing a good attorney could discredit someone like Buff, or just paint him as a sleazeball out for a payout.

Not an attorney, but I do have some background.  Getting the case dropped and getting Levy to essentially agree never to refile seems like a very one-sided win for Vince.

Would be a bold move to try and fill the MCG for a wrestling event. 

They havent sold out the last few tours so it would need to be something pretty special - Both brands for sure. Bryan's comeback match? Nakamura v Styles. Lesnar v Braun. Cena going for the record maybe?

It would have to be a WrestleMania level event.

1 hour ago, L_W_P said:

Would be a bold move to try and fill the MCG for a wrestling event. 

They havent sold out the last few tours so it would need to be something pretty special - Both brands for sure. Bryan's comeback match? Nakamura v Styles. Lesnar v Braun. Cena going for the record maybe?

It would have to be a WrestleMania level event.

Would it need to be filled? Does it need to be such a huge Wrestlemania event?

Biggest issues gonna be time difference, can't do it in winter as Australian Rules has lock on the ground from mid March to October (AFL fixture shows only Queens Birthday round where the ground is free Fri to Sun and big if on both Melbourne weather to remain dry and ground allowing less than 24 hours to take down structure before big game on the Monday.

Ground pretty reluctant to have non cricket events from October till Boxing Day also.

Unlikely to tail onto Tribute for Troops tour given how long away from families at wrong time of year.

Australia Day long weekend. Have the Rumble there. Piggyback off the Australian tennis open across the road.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Would it need to be filled? Does it need to be such a huge Wrestlemania event?

Biggest issues gonna be time difference, can't do it in winter as Australian Rules has lock on the ground from mid March to October (AFL fixture shows only Queens Birthday round where the ground is free Fri to Sun and big if on both Melbourne weather to remain dry and ground allowing less than 24 hours to take down structure before big game on the Monday.

Ground pretty reluctant to have non cricket events from October till Boxing Day also.

Unlikely to tail onto Tribute for Troops tour given how long away from families at wrong time of year.

Australia Day long weekend. Have the Rumble there. Piggyback off the Australian tennis open across the road.

I understand your words but I have almost no idea what any of them mean. :lol:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Australian Rules has a "lock" on the arena from mid-March to October.

October until December (26th), that arena is reluctant to have non-cricket events.

So, if I'm reading that right - supposedly they're reluctant to have events from March to December that aren't cricket or something.

What I want to know is - why was the original Global Warning show in 2002 in August if all that is to be believed?

The original Global Warning was held at Etihad Stadium. A 55-60k capacity arena with a roof.

Its a secondary stadium for Australian Rules and is used for other major events like concerts.

Since then WWE have used the tennis centre at Rod Laver Arena. They get 10-15k on their annual show there.

NXT last year was at the smaller arena in the tennis centre and was about 3/4 full.

They should have this event at Etihad again (55-65k with floor seating) unless they go all out and book a Mania level event to fill the MCG with 90k plus.

Ah, okay, fair point. Is 55-60K even possible for a PPV level event in Australia? I'd argue WWE is more popular and a better live show (in-ring wise) than it was in 2002, but I'm just some guy on the internet. If they could feasibly get that many in the Etihad Stadium, I think they should do it. That's way more in attendance than for an event like SummerSlam gets annually in the US, right? I'm positive it is.

At the right time of year, with the right card and pricing, absolutely. 

Let's not forget the crowd they got at Etihad for Holm/Rousey either. They also managed to get 73k to Guns N Roses at the stadium in February too.

I feel like Vince wouldn't be as flexible as UFC were when it comes to the time difference either.  A show on a Monday morning here (probably even with the public holiday) isn't doing much. Anything outside of that late December-February timeframe is way too unpredictable weather for an outdoor show.

Profitability would be interesting. A current Australian Rules team tenant requires about 26-28k to break even. 102k is total stadium capacity but would assume with stadium configuration/entrance, probably knocks it down to about 75-80k. It's also noted by economists that there's probability of the AUD reaching 90c USD in the coming year (currently at 75) so perhaps a wait and see issue there too.

WWE/UFC cooperation could be worthwhile for both parties whilst Whittaker is champion. If that were the case, a Holm/Rousey rematch could be the biggest draw the show has. (Although if held during the tennis, I think you could get decent money out of Bernard Tomic being taken to Suplex City).

I think 50k is realistic with the right card and profitable all things considered. If they have it at the G it would look awfully empty though. Maybe a bomb threat forces it to the tennis centre?

3 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

At the right time of year, with the right card and pricing, absolutely. 

Let's not forget the crowd they got at Etihad for Holm/Rousey either. They also managed to get 73k to Guns N Roses at the stadium in February too.

I feel like Vince wouldn't be as flexible as UFC were when it comes to the time difference either.  A show on a Monday morning here (probably even with the public holiday) isn't doing much. Anything outside of that late December-February timeframe is way too unpredictable weather for an outdoor show.

Profitability would be interesting. A current Australian Rules team tenant requires about 26-28k to break even. 102k is total stadium capacity but would assume with stadium configuration/entrance, probably knocks it down to about 75-80k. It's also noted by economists that there's probability of the AUD reaching 90c USD in the coming year (currently at 75) so perhaps a wait and see issue there too.

WWE/UFC cooperation could be worthwhile for both parties whilst Whittaker is champion. If that were the case, a Holm/Rousey rematch could be the biggest draw the show has. (Although if held during the tennis, I think you could get decent money out of Bernard Tomic being taken to Suplex City).

I think 50k is realistic with the right card and profitable all things considered. If they have it at the G it would look awfully empty though. Maybe a bomb threat forces it to the tennis centre?

Etihad Stadium.

2 weeks after the Grand Final.

Sunday at 12 noon Melbourne time (same time Raw started the last few weeks)

Build the whole show around John Cena trying to break Flair's rrecord against Roman Reigns.

Undercard would have a Charlotte/Becky v Sasha/Bayley tag and Asuka taking on Bazler w/Rhonda or something.

Buddy Murphy gets an IC title shot.

Some combo of Nak/Aj/Owens/Zayn.

Joe v Strowman.

All in. 65k+ and make it a 2nd Mania type event. Travel the world with it each year.