DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Am I too late for brussel sprouts recipes? Sauteed in butter and Madeira wine with lardons, guys. Come on.

Coated in olive oil and grilled over an open flame or on a gas grill is fantastic too.

You might think this is off topic, but I submit that it's still preferable to any on-topic discussion of HHH.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Does your remote not have an "off" or "mute" button?

So I'm supposed to mute the TV or turn it off all together because of one insufferable person on commentary? No thanks, I'll just continue to bitch about how much Booker T sucks.

56 minutes ago, Casey said:

So I'm supposed to mute the TV or turn it off all together because of one insufferable person on commentary? No thanks, I'll just continue to bitch about how much Booker T sucks.

Well alright then. But don't say you don't have an option. You can always watch something else if Booker T upsets you that much.

I actually haven't watched most WWE TV with sound for quite a while - my wife isn't that interested in it, so I watch on the TV I use for gaming that has wireless headphones.  Occasionally I'll throw the headphones on for an important match, but other than that, I haven't seen the point in quite some time.

I can't watching wrestling without commentary, it's just really odd to me. I guess I've been conditioned to expect it when watching. Can't watch puroresu without English commentary either, so I guess by that same rule I'm exempt from ever watching lucha too. Which is probably why I got excited when Lucha Underground debuted, it was my first exposure to workers like that.

58 minutes ago, Casey said:

I can't watching wrestling without commentary, it's just really odd to me. I guess I've been conditioned to expect it when watching. Can't watch puroresu without English commentary either, so I guess by that same rule I'm exempt from ever watching lucha too. Which is probably why I got excited when Lucha Underground debuted, it was my first exposure to workers like that.

Oddly, I cannot stomach New Japan with English commentary. JR and Barnett are horrible to me, and although Kelly and Callis are better, they come across way too smarky and self-appreciative for my liking.  I think part of it is that when I started watching Japanese wrestling on tapes (like a lot of people here) we didn't HAVE the luxury of English commentary, so I just got used to the Japanese announcers and it feels odd without it.  Even if I don't speak the language, the passion comes across.

• Like 5

Just now, Michael Sweetser said:

Oddly, I cannot stomach New Japan with English commentary. JR and Barnett are horrible to me, and although Kelly and Callis are better, they come across way too smarky and self-appreciative for my liking.  I think part of it is that when I started watching Japanese wrestling on tapes (like a lot of people here) we didn't HAVE the luxury of English commentary, so I just got used to the Japanese announcers and it feels odd without it.  Even if I don't speak the language, the passion comes across.

I dabbled in Highspots when I was in high school and got some VHS tapes and a DVD of puroresu. Don't get me wrong, I see what you're saying. But I guess I need English commentary to communicate what the story of the match is/their story outside of the ring, otherwise it's just two guys beating the shit out of each other. Which isn't a bad thing when I'm watching something like Sasaki/Nagata from '04. But, yeah, it's probably something I've just been conditioned to need from years and years of watching only American wrestling on TV.

Suppose I'm in the minority here (what's new?) but I don't mind JR & Barnett, actually. I haven't heard Kelly & Callis, I don't think. Off-topic a little bit, but it's mildly infuriating that NJPW has an official English YouTube now, but can't get a proper English page to get their streaming service. Do they even have an app out yet for Xbox/Roku? I want to give them my money, but I also don't want to watch it on my laptop/phone because I'm generally using one of those two things while watching wrestling on my big screen.

6 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Part of the fun of watching Japanese wrestling is the random English word inserted in the commentary. 

" xxx xXxX xXxX xXxX xXxX  brain-bustah!"

This. So much this. Especially with Hansen. xx xXxX xXxX xXxX xXx LARIATOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

------------

I don't mind JR and Barnett.

• Like 1