DVDVR Message Board

SDL is The Tragic Death of The Ascension - 11/28/2017

Dolfan in NYC

14 minutes ago, OSJ said:

I have to admit that I'm enjoying Jinder more and more just because he irritates certain people so much. Certainly not the first time that Vince has presented us with a roid-monkey with limited ring ability as the champion. Come  to think of it, I liked Superst*r Billy Graham too...

Not even in his dreams has Jinder cut a promo half as good as Superstar Billy Graham's worst.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Jinder is such a great heat magnet. They're giving a guy who smarks universally hate -- roided up, came up in the WWE's system and has no indie cred, "eh" in terms of ring work -- a huge push. It's working in terms of angering the people who make the most noise at events, but the network, etc. Is it a draw or not? I don't really care one way or the other. But it has been a while since there has been a person who is hated this much. 

If I remember the latest WWE Conference Call, the WWE and the WWE Network were doing extremely well under the timeline of Jinder's reign to include their numbers from India. So Jinder didn't hurt business. Now you could question if the numbers would have been even better had they put the belt on AJ earlier but it might be hard to prove that it would have done better under Styles

14 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

After seeing the Singh bump on the cobra clutch slam in slow motion, I was afraid we were going to get the Susie Spirit injury from GLOW.

The full match is still up on YouTube.  Any dudes that want to indulge their inner ghoul should go there to watch the video.

DO NOT POST IT IN THIS THREAD~!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, clintthecrippler said:

Does anyone know what won Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic in the Observer that year? It must have been something incredibly morbid if showing four straight minutes of graphic injury replays presented with Faces of Death-style voiceover and narration didn't win it.

84: Mulligan fake heart attack angle

85: Mike Von Erich

86: Gino Hernandez

• Like 1

4 hours ago, username said:

If I recall correctly the network numbers in India were down after Jinder's reign, and SD's ratings have been up every week since he dropped the belt... so obviously he's done great work getting the crowd to legit hate him.

They went down because everyone went to bars to watch Jinder matches together. You can't watch his matches solo or sober.

If you add attendances at sports bars for that time you have an all time champ attendance record.

LOL at "not having indy cred' as being one of the reasons people hate Jinder. Jinder fucking sucks. There's a gang of dudes who don't have "indy cred" that are awesome. Aside from NXT, what indy cred does Breezango have?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Greggulator said:

Jinder is such a great heat magnet. They're giving a guy who smarks universally hate -- roided up, came up in the WWE's system and has no indie cred, "eh" in terms of ring work -- a huge push. It's working in terms of angering the people who make the most noise at events, but the network, etc. Is it a draw or not? I don't really care one way or the other. But it has been a while since there has been a person who is hated this much. 

To expand on what I said, there's plenty of roided up looking dudes in WWE, a bunch of guys on the roster came up in WWE's system, they don't have indy cred, and their ring work isn't the best and fans don't hate many of them. People don't like Jinder because their intelligence is being insulted by having a jobber inexplicably rocket strapped to a World title. He's an uncoordinated goober whose main attributes to promo work are a mean face and screaming into the mic. People don't forget that just before being inserted into a chance to win a World title shot that he was a jobber or that he's the 3MB guy. They see a guy who was pushed over anyone else for what wound up being no reason at all because the guy didn't even go into India as the champ. 

This isn't a "smark" thing. This is something that's bad for business. The only positive I would assign to Jinder is that he isn't a heel trying to be cool or that still panders to fans, but he is a heel partly because he has the appearance of a foreigner which is the most low hanging fruit to go after. It's not particularly difficult. Even still, if I were to say anything nice about the guy, it's that while being a heel he doesn't pander to fans.

I'll say he's still hated because he sucks more than anything else. The description of him as a dude from 2000 WCW is accurate.

The point I was trying to make wasn't that Jinder doesn't suck, it's that the hate for him is so overblown that people post things like this:

On 11/29/2017 at 12:00 AM, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Jinder really needs to switch to a finisher he can actually do properly on a regular basis.

When the crazy bump was very clearly not Jinder's fault at all. A couple of posts up it was "every babyface he worked with came out looking worse" when that argument can literally only be made for Nakamura. It certainly can't be made for Styles - he's the champion now and he wasn't before.

It isn't that Jinder is worthy of praise, I just don't think he deserves all the vitriol.

• Like 1

I guess I appreciate that he's worked hard to live up to an impossibly abrupt push, but I'm still in the "Jinder is a channel changer" camp. He can't even juice right: The gyno, bacne, and rapid hair loss... I mean, it's nitpicking, but if your look is basically all you have, don't fail so badly in that regard. (I also have less than zero interest in a "boo the foreigner" gimmick, but that's not his fault.)

As usual, he full blame has to go to the writing/booking and how one is ultimately presented. If they had spent even three months with the "new" Jinder running amok through the roster, his elevation would have been much more palatable. As it is, the fans see a roided-up member of the late unlamented 3-Man Band in the the World Title picture and quite rightly shit all over it.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, OSJ said:

As usual, he full blame has to go to the writing/booking and how one is ultimately presented. If they had spent even three months with the "new" Jinder running amok through the roster, his elevation would have been much more palatable. As it is, the fans see a roided-up member of the late unlamented 3-Man Band in the the World Title picture and quite rightly shit all over it.

Meh, I like that it basically happened out of nowhere. Three months of him running amok before winning the title would've just dulled the reaction. He's not a deserving champ and knows it, so he cheats like a motherfucker and gets lucky every now and then. Hell, it even plays into SDL's "land of opportunity" mantra quite nicely. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

When they go full Shield and reunite 3MB to get Jinder over, remember I called it first

Drew's arm was injured for almost all of that too

Man, 2016 Heath Slater was awesome. Dude was over as all Hell and I figured he'd at least get s midcard title run.