DVDVR Message Board

2017 NFL: WEEK THIRTEEN

RIPPA

WTF Giants.

On another note, DeAndre Hopkins is becoming the James Harden of WRs. Not the biggest, tallest, or fastest, but precise with his steps and savvy as fuck with drawing contact and penalties.

http://www.espn.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/68888/deandre-hopkins-gives-texans-boost-with-more-than-just-catches

Nuk has been a blast this season. Fuller too, when he was on the field. Can’t wait to watch a whole season of Watson and Hopkins and Fuller all healthy. And Watt too. And Mercilus. And Clowney. And D Foreman. And ... that’s a lot of injuries.

Man, I'm not a Giants fan in the least, but I can't help but feel bad for the Giants players and their fans. I feel bad for Rippa.

Whoever called them a shitbum organization got it completely right. Fuck the Giants organization and coaching staff and for no one having the guts to say fucking no to any of this. McAdoo should be out of a job.

HUE MOTHERFUCKING JACKSON IS 1-485 WITH THE BROWNS AND HERE WE ARE WHERE HE ISN'T THE WORST HEAD COACH IN THE LEAGUE

Geno fucking Smith. MOTHERFUCKER PLAYED FOR THE JETS, YOU KNOW, THAT OTHER NEW YORK TEAM. What do you mean you have to see what you have with him. HE WAS LITERALLY IN THE SAME-ISH TOWN FOR YEARS. All of this blows my mind.

• Like 3

"Some would say I screwed Eli Manning. Eli Manning would definitely tell you I screwed him. I look at it from a different standpoint. I look at it from the standpoint of Geno Smith did not screw Eli Manning. Davis Webb certainly did not screw Eli Manning. Nor did Ben McAdoo screw Eli Manning. I truly believe that Eli Manning screwed Eli Manning. And he can look in the mirror and know that." - Ben McAdoo in an interview with Jim Ross.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

He'd better hope there are no snowstorms between now and Week 17.  

Well, actually, he may prefer that to the batteries that are probably heading his head's way next weekend. (Oh, wait, checking the schedule they're in Oakland this weekend, so yes, THIS weekend.)

At least with the Tyrod Taylor situation in Buffalo is that you could use the 'can't take a team to the playoff' line based on history.  Even though they were in the damn playoff hunt at the time.  Eli has 2 super bowl rings.   You just don't bench the guy.  

The conspiracy that I enjoyed is the Phil Jackson theory which was he knew would get fired at end of season so he wanted to do something so stupid that he would get immediately.  

Oh and I understand that Eli got fucked royally but can we calm down on the Hall of Fame talk.     Maybe after waiting 5 or 6 years but I don't know

Where was all this righteous indignation for Tony Romo last year?  Not only did he lose his job because of injury, he was a better player than Eli. 

I mean, Eli is good I guess, but there has never been a single moment of his career where I thought he wasn't replaceable.  I don't think there was a single season that I thought he was the best quarterback in his division.  Early in his career I would have rather had McNabb, I would have rather had Romo during his prime, and I'd take Dak, Wentz or Cousins over him right now.  Did he win two Super Bowls?  Yep, but don't act like he wasn't overwhelmingly average at almost every other moment of his career.  He won the Super Bowl in a year where he threw 23 TDs and 20 INTs.  He's thrown 20 or more INTs 3 different times, including a season where he threw 27 INTs to 18 TDs.  They aren't replacing Joe Montana, or John Elway, they are replacing Peyton's little brother.  If his last name was Smith or Johnson or some shit, he would have been benched a long ass time ago.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Where was all this righteous indignation for Tony Romo last year?  Not only did he lose his job because of injury, he was a better player than Eli. 

I mean, Eli is good I guess, but there has never been a single moment of his career where I thought he wasn't replaceable.  I don't think there was a single season that I thought he was the best quarterback in his division.  Early in his career I would have rather had McNabb, I would have rather had Romo during his prime, and I'd take Dak, Wentz or Cousins over him right now.  Did he win two Super Bowls?  Yep, but don't act like he wasn't overwhelmingly average at almost every other moment of his career.  He won the Super Bowl in a year where he threw 23 TDs and 20 INTs.  He's thrown 20 or more INTs 3 different times, including a season where he threw 27 INTs to 18 TDs.  They aren't replacing Joe Montana, or John Elway, they are replacing Peyton's little brother.  If his last name was Smith or Johnson or some shit, he would have been benched a long ass time ago.  

I've also never forgiven Bill Belichick for benching Bernie Kosar.

Romo didn't win two super bowls, didn't have a consecutive starts streak, got hurt, which gave the fans time to fall in love with Dak, and the team were a Super Bowl contender when Tony got healthy again. That's a pretty major difference in situation.

And Cowboys fans never loved Tony the way Giants fans do Eli.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, supremebve said:

At the end of the day, Eli will probably have more rings than McNabb, Romo, Cousins, Dak and Wentz. Maybe even all of them combined lol. He won when it mattered, and that means something.

Just now, Infinit said:

At the end of the day, Eli will probably have more rings than McNabb, Romo, Cousins, Dak and Wentz. Maybe even all of them combined lol. He won when it mattered, and that means something.

And it's not as much that he won those 2 games, it's who he did it against: probably the greatest team of all time. You are probably never going to see a team run the table ever again, at least in our lifetimes. And that other Patriots team was pretty damned great as well.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Romo didn't win two super bowls, didn't have a consecutive starts streak, got hurt, which gave the fans time to fall in love with Dak, and the team were a Super Bowl contender when Tony got healthy again. That's a pretty major difference in situation.

Romo didn't win two Super Bowls.  Romo was still better than him.  Eli was the quarterback of two championship teams, but he was not the reason that they got to either of those Super Bowls.  At Eli's best he was good, never great, but he was good.  Romo at his best could be great.  

Health in the NFL is pretty much a roll of the dice.  Romo was more mobile, was able to extend plays, and took more risks with his body, so he occasionally got hurt (he was generally healthy despite his made of glass reputation).  He can't control that.  Dak was good last year, but he wasn't nearly as good as Romo during his last full season.  Romo played 15 games in 2014 completed 69.9% of his passes, threw 34 TDs, and 9 INTs.  That is better than anything Eli Manning has ever done.  

Why do we have to pretend that Eli was responsible for those two Super Bowls?  Don't you remember how dominant those defenses were?  If you switched Eli Manning with any competent quarterback they would have 2 Super Bowls.  Eli isn't a special quarterback, he is basically Brad Johnson or Matt Hasselback with a better PR department.  We don't have to give the quarterback credit when they aren't the ones responsible for their championships.  He was there, he made a couple of plays, but there were probably 10 quarterbacks who could have done better at the time.  Those teams weren't champions because of their quarterback.  Trent Dilfer won a championship, Jeff Hostetler won one, fucking Joe Namath's bum ass won a Super Bowl...none of those dudes are great quarterbacks.   

Too bad the Tony Romo that got replaced wasn't the guy who played in 2014. He was the one not playing 2016 who had suffered two more collarbrone breaks and a fractured vertabrae since 2014. Can't be more mobile than Eli if you're not on the field. 

As a Derrick Rose fan, I understand that sometimes you have to put the horse down.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

Too bad the Tony Romo that got replaced wasn't the guy who played in 2014. He was the one not playing 2016 who had suffered two more collarbrone breaks and a fractured vertabrae since 2014. Can't be more mobile than Eli if you're not on the field. 

As a Derrick Rose fan, I understand that sometimes you have to put the horse down.

Neither of those injuries were evidence that he was made of glass, they were injuries that would have happened to anyone in the same situation.