DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is Getting The Rights to Broken Matt - 11/27/2017

Dolfan in NYC

36 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Has anyone in recent history suffered an injury at a worse time than Balor? I can't think of anyone, Roman comes close, but he bounced back, Finn was the fucking champion and he's never even had a shot at getting back the belt that he never really lost.

Here's the deal with Bryan: 

1.) He was being given the Zack Ryder treatment vs Kane. They were booking him running away with Brie in fear and the fans were starting to turn on him. You can go back and watch those episodes of Raw and see how bemused he was to be getting the Cena reaction.

2.) He was going to be sacrificed to Brock at Summerslam.

3.) Vince had already decided that Roman was the guy. Bryan had moaned to him that he wanted to be the guy instead, but I think they would have gone through the motions at least one time more. Bryan only got the title in the first place to heat up Orton for the title unification and Batista after all. Vince was never fully getting on board.

The answer, like Mark said, is Sting in 1990. The recent answer, I'd argue, would be Dolph. We all can't stand the guy right now, but he was super over with the double turn and the AJ/Big E act and he never came back from that. 

I'm not at all convinced that Balor had a rocket strapped to him. He was the fortunate beneficiary of coming along right at the time of the draft and when Roman had his wellness policy violation. I half think they were putting the title on him because the Demon paint matched the red of the new belt.

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I'm not at all convinced that Balor had a rocket strapped to him. He was the fortunate beneficiary of coming along right at the time of the draft and when Roman had his wellness policy violation. I half think they were putting the title on him because the Demon paint matched the red of the new belt.

Pardon my Irish prejudice ;-), but I don't think Finn had the rocket from Vince, but I fully believe that he's skilled enough and charismatic enough to carry the big strap and "the rocket" will develop organically .

6 minutes ago, OSJ said:

Pardon my Irish prejudice ;-), but I don't think Finn had the rocket from Vince, but I fully believe that he's skilled enough and charismatic enough to carry the big strap and "the rocket" will develop organically .

I've heard that, once you reach a certain age, that kind of thing tends to trail off.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Here's the deal with Bryan: 

1.) He was being given the Zack Ryder treatment vs Kane. They were booking him running away with Brie in fear and the fans were starting to turn on him. You can go back and watch those episodes of Raw and see how bemused he was to be getting the Cena reaction.

2.) He was going to be sacrificed to Brock at Summerslam.

3.) Vince had already decided that Roman was the guy. Bryan had moaned to him that he wanted to be the guy instead, but I think they would have gone through the motions at least one time more. Bryan only got the title in the first place to heat up Orton for the title unification and Batista after all. Vince was never fully getting on board.

I always thought #1 was due to Bryan's body failing him and they wanted him to see if he could work through it with one of the safest workers on the roster while giving their top babyface group some big names to work with. If Bryan was healthy, I always assumed the Backlash main event was Bryan/Batista and then Payback would have been Bryan/Orton. You run Bryan/HHH one more time and then you sacrifice Bryan to Brock when The Authority has nowhere else to turn to get the belt off of Bryan. Not sure what you do with the Shield as the Wyatts were in a feud with Cena but I'm sure they could come up with something.

Roman was getting rather good reactions in 2014, it was believable that he would be the guy. Roman's 2014 was marred by a bad timing injury and then Daniel Bryan returning at the Rumble in an effort to regain the title he never lost. If Daniel Bryan stays healthy AND Roman stays healthy I think the Rumble 2015 turns out to not be a huge disaster.

Just now, Brysynner said:

I always thought #1 was due to Bryan's body failing him and they wanted him to see if he could work through it with one of the safest workers on the roster while giving their top babyface group some big names to work with.

Given their background in Team Hell No, a Kane feud made a lot of sense, actually, and the match that they had at Extreme Rules (right?) was set up exactly as it should have been to make Bryan look dominant. It was the build that was the issue.

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

Given their background in Team Hell No, a Kane feud made a lot of sense, actually, and the match that they had at Extreme Rules (right?) was set up exactly as it should have been to make Bryan look dominant. It was the build that was the issue.

The build was set around the fact they didn't want too much physicality with Bryan as they were trying to see if he could go on a very limited basis (at least how I am remembering it). Also they only had Batista booked through April due to film commitments so I would think they go Batista/Bryan to get one more main event out of Batista, especially since Big Dave's agreement involved winning the Rumble, winning the belt at Mania and dropping it to Orton at Backlash. This still allows him to main event Backlash. Again not sure what the plan for the Shield was if Bryan stayed healthy.

I think the Bryan injury actually worked out better for everyone who wasn't Roman Reigns. Hunter got to be active a bit longer, Batista got to have fun, Orton got to have a righteous complaint that he never got a one on one rematch for the title he lost, Seth Rollins got much needed heel turn, Dean Ambrose got the needed direction as a upper midcard babyface, John Cena got another title reign, Brock Lesnar got to look even more monstrous by killing Cena to win the title, Daniel Bryan got to return, fuck up WWE's plans again and got to start of the string of really good Roman Reigns singles matches.

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Heck I don’t think there is a single person on the Smackdown roster that is being booked like they deserve a Mania title shot

KO could be a viable challenger if they can build on his feud with the McMahons, but then we'd likely be headed towards more KO vs AJ. And nobody really wants that.

Probably time for that Orton heel turn. Or just throw Cena at AJ and watch the snowflakes fly. 

49 minutes ago, Roman said:

I've heard that, once you reach a certain age, that kind of thing tends to trail off.

Edge and Christian get around this problem by strapping one on. 

2 hours ago, Phantom Lord said:

I knew Elias was something special in NXT. But good lord, last night he probably had his best match ever. That should have been the main event to end RAW. Can't believe they ended RAW with the Kane/Braun stuff.

Dude is amazing live. He's not trying to be a face at all, but he's so entertaining that it's happening anyway. 

11 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

KO could be a viable challenger if they can build on his feud with the McMahons, but then we'd likely be headed towards more KO vs AJ. And nobody really wants that.

Probably time for that Orton heel turn. Or just throw Cena at AJ and watch the snowflakes fly. 

Not KO vs AJ maybe...but how about AJ vs Sami?

3 minutes ago, Victator said:

Orton vs AJ is a match I really want that is viable and fresh. I want to see Nakamura vs Kenta, but that is probably just me, 

I'd like to see it. I don't think they had a singles match in Japan, but their tag interactions were always fun. (But it ain't happening.)

19 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

I'd like to see it. I don't think they had a singles match in Japan, but their tag interactions were always fun. (But it ain't happening.)

I saw a really good tag match in Noah. They had great chemistry. I think Kenta could save 205. But you know poop in one hand. 

2 hours ago, Shibata Is My Homie said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see Asuka join team Paige and being the mastermind behind the "invasion". Asuka would be so much better as an ass- kicking heel.

As someone who dug heel Asuka, I could get with this. 

6 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I don't think that's accurate at all.

You have betrayed yourself with the speed of your rebuke.  So was it goth girls or punk girls that did it for you in high school?

• Like 2