DVDVR Message Board

2017-18 NCAAF OFFSEASON THREAD

Pete

35 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Allegedly Michigan is working on a so called "lifetime" deal with him.

I honestly think he's doing an okay job. The talent base is getting better every ayear he recruits.

Is it really, though?  Three years in, and I still see no playmakers at WR or RB.  As Alabama has proven consistently, you can be "bleh" at QB if you've got great players at the skill positions.  At Michigan, I still see a bunch of possession receivers and 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust RBs.

The smartest thing David Shaw did after he took over for Harbaugh at Stanford was start recruiting more Christian McCaffery's and Bryce Love's instead of more Toby Gerhardt's.

Mike Gundy is staying at OK State.  Just tweeted out "Cowboy for life! (But only after I had a deal in hand from Tennessee and forced T. Boone to ante up!)" Okay he left that last part out.

Also looks like Mississippi State has surprisingly picked Penn State OC Joe Moorhead as its next head coach.  That's a weird one.  He has no ties to the South, and his only real success at the FBS level conveniently coincided with Saquon Barkley falling into his lap.  Okay then.

What's fascinating to me is that, despite the flurry of SEC hiring over the past few days, Arkansas seems to be in no hurry at all.  Almost like they're waiting on someone specific to be available.

As crazy as it seems, I think there might be some legitimacy to the Gus Malzahn to Arkansas rumors that have been swirling all year.  Obviously won't happen if Auburn wins the SEC and goes to the playoffs, though.

On 11/28/2017 at 9:47 PM, EVA said:

and his only real success at the FBS level conveniently coincided with Saquon Barkley falling into his lap.  Okay then.

That's totally unfair.

He also had Trace McSorely fall into his lap.

---------------

Is there any reason Gus would actually want to move to a less successful program in the same division? It wouldn't even fit the "get away from Saban" idea since they would still play Bama every year and besides he just won the fucking Iron Bowl.

I can't imagine Arkansas is offering the kind of pay raise that makes it logical, it would just be starting over in a lesser spot and now adding Auburn to the Alabama/LSU gauntlet he has to face every year. Unless there's some reason he really hates the AD? Even then, get the fuck out of the West at bare minimum.

Herm Edwards (which my phone keeps correcting to Jerk Edwards) to ASU is official

Apparently the AD is/was Edwards’ agent and folks knew Herm was getting hired for months 

Oh and Herm hasn’t coached in a decade 

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Herm Edwards (which my phone keeps correcting to Jerk Edwards) to ASU is official

Apparently the AD is/was Edwards’ agent and folks knew Herm was getting hired for months 

Oh and Herm hasn’t coached in a decade 

Helo! You play to win the game!!!

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

That's totally unfair.

He also had Trace McSorely fall into his lap.

---------------

Is there any reason Gus would actually want to move to a less successful program in the same division? It wouldn't even fit the "get away from Saban" idea since they would still play Bama every year and besides he just won the fucking Iron Bowl.

I can't imagine Arkansas is offering the kind of pay raise that makes it logical, it would just be starting over in a lesser spot and now adding Auburn to the Alabama/LSU gauntlet he has to face every year. Unless there's some reason he really hates the AD? Even then, get the fuck out of the West at bare minimum.

The rumored reason is that he's tired of being on a neverending hot seat.  I mean, as noted, he just beat Alabama, and I still see Auburn people online who are like, "He can go and we wouldn't be that upset."  For whatever reason, he's just not well loved.  Auburn also just dumped their AD, which means he's looking at a new boss next year, and ADs are like NFL GM's -- they all want "their guy" as coach, so he could theoretically be in an even more tenuous situation.

On the flip side, he's a living legend in Arkansas from his high school days, and at Arkansas, he'd be celebrated for the same kind of mid-level success that has Auburn people grumbling for his job every year.  Even if he wins the SEC title and goes to the playoffs, he knows from his own experience (and seeing what happened to Chizik) that his seat will fire right back up again if he goes 8-5 next year.

All that taken into consideration, it does raise eyebrows when you see Arkansas just chilling in the clubhouse like they know something we don't while the rest of the league is in a hiring frenzy.

All that said, it's not going to happen if Auburn wins this weekend (which I think they will).  As patient as they've been, Arkansas can't afford to wait until January to hire someone, and obviously Gus isn't going to walk away from a shot at the natty.

5 hours ago, EVA said:

The rumored reason is that he's tired of being on a neverending hot seat.  I mean, as noted, he just beat Alabama, and I still see Auburn people online who are like, "He can go and we wouldn't be that upset."  For whatever reason, he's just not well loved.  Auburn also just dumped their AD, which means he's looking at a new boss next year, and ADs are like NFL GM's -- they all want "their guy" as coach, so he could theoretically be in an even more tenuous situation.

On the flip side, he's a living legend in Arkansas from his high school days, and at Arkansas, he'd be celebrated for the same kind of mid-level success that has Auburn people grumbling for his job every year.  Even if he wins the SEC title and goes to the playoffs, he knows from his own experience (and seeing what happened to Chizik) that his seat will fire right back up again if he goes 8-5 next year.

All that taken into consideration, it does raise eyebrows when you see Arkansas just chilling in the clubhouse like they know something we don't while the rest of the league is in a hiring frenzy.

All that said, it's not going to happen if Auburn wins this weekend (which I think they will).  As patient as they've been, Arkansas can't afford to wait until January to hire someone, and obviously Gus isn't going to walk away from a shot at the natty.

This.  Malzahn's seat was as hot as Sumlin's halfway through the season, with a ranked, one loss team.  There's every chance that he could be back there again next year if he doesn't win it all this year.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Dave Doeren has turned Tenn down so the Vols are now talking to Kevin Sumlin

Would be awfully surprised if this happens, which means it probably will.  I think Sumlin can win, but I dunno if Tennessee is the place for that to happen.  He seems like a better fit in the PAC 12 or Big 12 than for another SEC run.  Someplace where giving up 40 points a game isn't that big a deal since you can score 50.

Meanwhile, it's a long way from a done deal, but it's looking like Fisher to A&M could happen as early as this afternoon.  Things are getting a bit ugly in Tallahassee.  I don't see him staying there long term.  Of course, whether he wants to be in College Station is a different matter.

18 hours ago, EVA said:

The NCAA has notified Ole Miss that they'll be handing their penalties tomorrow.

For @Brian Fowler's sake, I hope Harbaugh has Shea Patterson on speed dial, because his voicemail is gonna fill up pretty quick.

You know, his grandfather was a Piston...

On 11/27/2017 at 4:29 PM, Kuetsar said:

And today they fired him. http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21629194/tennessee-volunteers-athletic-director-john-currie-part-amid-tumultuous-coaching-search The article say "parted ways" but it has to be a firing. Can't see him ever getting another chance either. . .