DVDVR Message Board

2017-18 NCAAF OFFSEASON THREAD

Pete

35 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Just a heads up (depending on your viewpoint of the situation) - today is defend Greg Schiano day

If anyone believes he didn't know about Sandusky they are total rubes. He HAD to know. And people saying "he was never sued/charged with a crime" are ridiculous. Do they really think every single person at Ped State would be sued or jailed (as much as I would welcome that)?

Take this with the 848450552686268791710013 lbs of salt because of the source but

Clay Travis is claiming that Jason Witten has told Tennessee that he is willing to retire and take the HC job if offered

Let's start this because a ton of firings/hires are happening. Plus the dumpster fire in Tennessee with the non-hiring of Schiano. 

Plus, I'll just add, now that he's 0-3 against Ohio State, you may or may not hear rumblings calling for Harbaugh's head, but you'll *definitely* hear sometime in the next couple of months how he's interested in a job with *insert NFL team name here*

• Like 1

I'd like to think I hallucinated most of yesterday's nonsense after not sleeping at all Saturday night and spending most of Sunday curled up in a fetal position with the worst headache I've ever had.

I'm at least glad A&M finally got off their ass and fired Sumlin instead of letting the poor guy continue to dangle.  He'd been dead man walking really since before the season started.  The UCLA collapse, combined with losing his starting QB and best defender in that same game didn't help.  Hoping he lands on his feet soon.  He did some good things for the school, even though he needed to go.

I have no clue what to think on the Fisher to A&M possibility.  I keep seeing reports that he's both definitely leaving and definitely staying.  Not sure he's the right fit, but there doesn't seem to really be a viable fallback plan.  I just have horrible memories of the last time A&M stole a head coach from a national powerhouse.

At least they can't make as big a pig's ear out of the hire as Tennessee has.  Probably.

It's less than a lateral move.  A&M's got money and facilities, but the success hasn't been there.  Last time A&M was good for a long period was late 80s/early 90s, playing in an extremely weak SWC.  Part of it has got to be money.  If it happens, then there's probably some underlying issue between FSU and Fisher.  That wouldn't be a surprise with their collapse this year.

• Like 1

FSU is a blue blood by reputation only.  They do not support football financially the same way that other school's with similar name brand value do.  Fisher has spent his entire time at FSU pushing them to spend more on facilities, coaches' salaries, etc., and he has gotten constant pushback from the administration.  To say their relationship is strained would be putting it mildly.  There were people in power at FSU who were ready to be done with Fisher even as far back as when he was still coach-in-waiting under Bowden.

But he's a winner and FSU is still better than most places, so they put up with each other.

A&M is certainly more willing to spend money than FSU, but whether that's enough to compel Fisher to jump into the snake pit with Saban remains to be seen.

Football coaches are the highest paid employees at every big name school with salaries that dwarf the actual professors who, you know, are essential to a college. Any coach who wants more money can grab a spoon and eat my ass.

• Like 4

EVA about summed it up. 

Saban isn't the problem though. Nobody with realistic expectations thinks they're gonna beat Saban at Alabama on a regular basis. Hell, I think Saban has more wins over Alabama than the rest of the SEC coaches combined. You've just gotta stay competitive with him. Sumlin's problem was LSU Auburn and the Mississippi schools

David Bailiff is out at Rice after 11 seasons, including 4 bowls, 2 10-win campaigns (first coach in school history with that tally) and their first outright conference championship since 1957. He'd replaced... wait for it... Todd Graham.

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

David Bailiff is out at Rice after 11 seasons, including 4 bowls, 2 10-win campaigns (first coach in school history with that tally) and their first outright conference championship since 1957. He'd replaced... wait for it... Todd Graham.

Also worth noting that he had 7 losing seasons in those 11 years, including 3 straight culminating in a 1-11 mark this season.

They were either really good (by CUSA standards) or really bad.  Mostly really bad.

Still, he probably deserves some kind of medal for lasting a decade at Rice without being fired or going insane.

21 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The Schiano hiring (or at least rumored hiring) is going about as well as you would imagine

And yes I appreciate the irony of Haynesworth bitching about folks not taking football seriously

As someone who lives in the Washington D.C. metro area, but doesn't root for the football team, Albert Hayesworth is one of my favorite athletes of all time.  He is the single funniest thing that has ever happened to DC sports.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EVA said:

Also worth noting that he had 7 losing seasons in those 11 years, including 3 straight culminating in a 1-11 mark this season.

They were either really good (by CUSA standards) or really bad.  Mostly really bad.

Still, he probably deserves some kind of medal for lasting a decade at Rice without being fired or going insane.

Multiple 10-win seasons at RICE is definitely medal-worthy. They hadn't bowled anywhere since 1961 until Graham showed up.

6 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Let's start this because a ton of firings/hires are happening. Plus the dumpster fire in Tennessee with the non-hiring of Schiano. 

Plus, I'll just add, now that he's 0-3 against Ohio State, you may or may not hear rumblings calling for Harbaugh's head, but you'll *definitely* hear sometime in the next couple of months how he's interested in a job with *insert NFL team name here*

There have been loud rumblings for weeks already. The terrible quarterback play over the last two seasons has people very frustrated. 

And Wilton Speight is transferring. 

7 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Allegedly Michigan is working on a so called "lifetime" deal with him.

I honestly think he's doing an okay job. The talent base is getting better every year he recruits. This season might have been very different without a cheap shot from Purdue. Peters showed some flashes. O'Korn was a disaster.

But 1-5 against Sparty and Ohio ain't gonna get it done.

• Like 1