DVDVR Message Board

2017-18 NCAAF OFFSEASON THREAD

Pete

16 minutes ago, sabremike said:

If you are talking from a moral standpoint I totally agree but the idea that he's a horrible coach baffles me. The guy made Rutgers a credible program while he was there so he's not a bad coach. Do people judge Sabin for his NFL flop? If people hate this hire because of his Ped State past I 1000% agree. If it's because they don't think he can coach I totally disagree.

Ray Rice made Rutgers relevant for a hot minute, but Schiano had a losing record there in his 8 seasons without Rice.  Never won a Big East title, with or without Ray Rice.  Posted exactly ONE Top 25 finish in 11 (ELEVEN!) seasons there.  Posted a losing conference record in 2 of his last 3 seasons at Rutgers.

Under Schiano, Rutgers was, at best, a middle of the road team in a middle of the road conference.  His reputation as a good coach is one of the more baffling developments of the last 10 years of college football.  Basically, he lucked into landing a generational talent at running back and then coasted off the one good season he got out of him for years until the idiot Tampa Bay Bucs signed him and saved him from getting inevitably fired.

Hell i would be happy for about 90% of that city to be blackballed from sports period.  Just find it odd that now people are arguing about this.  Especially people from Ohio State.  Not like this was hidden under the radar

Like EVA said,  Rutgers was never better than the 3rd best team in the Big East.  And that was when the Big East was just two or three teams at that's it.  Maybe I am statistically incorrectly but it seems overall that Rutgers was no better than a South Florida  at the time.  

Tennessee has cancelled the press conference they had scheduled tonight due to the protests

It is unclear if it is just they are hoping they will go away or if the deal with Schiano feel through

19 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Well hiring Schiano isn't the best idea at all, there are two major problems with their argument:

1.  I don't get why they are trying to connect this with the Penn State situation.   I mean the list of people who covered up for Paterno is long as hell.  Is this some way a jab at Alabama?

2.  Apparently the name Bruce Pearl just disappeared from Volunteer history because if it wasn't for guys like Pitino he would one of the scummier head coaches in years

Basically, Tennessee fans know this is a god awful hire, so they're rallying around the "Schiano is a pedo enabler" flag in hopes that UT will back off due to the bad publicity and hire someone better.

It's actually kinda sleazy in its own right, exploiting real tragedy just for the sake of hopefully hiring a better coach.

5 minutes ago, EVA said:

Ray Rice made Rutgers relevant for a hot minute, but Schiano had a losing record there in his 8 seasons without Rice.  Never won a Big East title, with or without Ray Rice.  Posted exactly ONE Top 25 finish in 11 (ELEVEN!) seasons there.  Posted a losing conference record in 2 of his last 3 seasons at Rutgers.

Under Schiano, Rutgers was, at best, a middle of the road team in a middle of the road conference.  His reputation as a good coach is one of the more baffling developments of the last 10 years of college football.  Basically, he lucked into landing a generational talent at running back and then coasted off the one good season he got out of him for years until the idiot Tampa Bay Bucs signed him and saved him from getting inevitably fired.

Rutgers went to seven bowls with him, and won five. Without him, in the entire history of the program, they've been to one (which they did win) and that was the year after he left, with the team he built.

What he did at Rutgers was flat out spectacular, including the recruiting. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Rutgers went to seven bowls with him, and won five. Without him, in the entire history of the program, they've been to one (which they did win) and that was the year after he left, with the team he built.

What he did at Rutgers was flat out spectacular, including the recruiting. 

If you consider mediocre spectacular, sure.  There are a zillion bowls.  We make a joke about it all the time, now suddenly it's some measuring stick of greatness?  Nah.

The PapaJohn's.com Bowl is not where legends are made.

6 minutes ago, EVA said:

If you consider mediocre spectacular, sure.  There are a zillion bowls.  We make a joke about it all the time, now suddenly it's some measuring stick of greatness?  Nah.

At a program that literally never qualifies for bowls, it is. You are severely underestimating how bad a program and job Rutgers is.

5 minutes ago, EVA said:

For literally the most hopeless D1 program on the entire east coast and possibly the country? Yes, that's a real accomplishment.

8 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

As evidenced by them almost immediately becoming the worst team in the power 5 after he left?

They sustained at pretty much the same level as Schiano's later years under Kyle Flood.  They didn't crater until they took a dramatic step up in competition from the Big East (which had even devolved further into it's AAC -- aka Conference USA 2.0 -- form by then) to the Big 10.  

Also Schiano's record pre-Ray Rice

12-34

W/ Ray Rice

26-13

Post Ray Rice (aka the HEY COME TO THE SCHOOL RAY RICE DID! PLUS WE WERE RANKED THAT ONE YEAR!!!!)

30-21

And Kenny Britt and Devin McCourty also were there to overlap with Rice)

I don't think it can be overlooked how badly the 2007 Rutgers team bellyflopped either.  Coming off a Top 20 finish in 06, they brought back a LOADED team (especially on offense) and got as high as #10, but as soon as Big East play started, they fell on their faces and finished with a losing conference record.

Ray Rice rushed for 2,000 yards and 25 TDs that year, and Schiano still managed to finish 5th in his conference.

I heard from a reliable source of mine that Tennessee had at least been vetting Alabama DC Jeremy Pruitt earlier this week, so he's a name to watch.

Although the Tennessee AD just defended himself by saying he only vetted Schiano as far back as Rutgers and, in fact, had no idea he was ever even AT Penn State.  So either he's lying or I feel like they're going to be re-vetting EVERYBODY real soon and not making any quick decisions.

To put Rutgers Football in perspective: they had 3 non conference games this year, all at home. They lost to Washington, beat a Morgan State team who were among the worst teams in all of FCS and would've struggled to beat a good high school and lost to Michigan... Eastern Michigan. I think the only reason they exist is so Temple has someone to look down on.

2 minutes ago, EVA said:

I heard from a reliable source of mine that Tennessee had at least been vetting Alabama DC Jeremy Pruitt earlier this week, so he's a name to watch.

Although the Tennessee AD just defended himself by saying he only vetted Schiano as far back as Rutgers and, in fact, had no idea he was ever even AT Penn State.  So either he's lying or I feel like they're going to be re-vetting EVERYBODY real soon and not making any quick decisions.

He has to be lying. Either that or he's totally incompetent and has no business running a grocery store much less a major college athletic program.

I feel like I need to reiterate this:  

I want NO GOOD THINGS IN LIFE to come to people who enabled sexual assault, so I'm not shedding any tears for Greg Schiano, but.....where were all these conscientious Tennessee fans when THEIR OWN football program was accused by 8 women of covering up their sexual assaults at the hands of football players?  Where were the calls for Butch Jones' job when he reportedly called a UT player "a traitor" for helping one of the women?  I don't recall hearing from them then.

I wonder why not?  Probably because in 2015, they thought Butch Jones was a good coach who was going to win them a championship.

It just seems icky to me that you've got a fanbase blatantly exploiting a tragedy just because they don't think Schiano is the guy to win them some damn games.

12 minutes ago, EVA said:

I feel like I need to reiterate this:  

I want NO GOOD THINGS IN LIFE to come to people who enabled sexual assault, so I'm not shedding any tears for Greg Schiano, but.....where were all these conscientious Tennessee fans when THEIR OWN football program was accused by 8 women of covering up their sexual assaults at the hands of football players?  Where were the calls for Butch Jones' job when he reportedly called a UT player "a traitor" for helping one of the women?  I don't recall hearing from them then.

I wonder why not?  Probably because in 2015, they thought Butch Jones was a good coach who was going to win them a championship.

It just seems icky to me that you've got a fanbase blatantly exploiting a tragedy just because they don't think Schiano is the guy to win them some damn games.

I also still can't figure out why anyone thought Jones was good. He basically maintained what Kelly built twice, and CMU was clearly going in the wrong direction when Jones left.

So their fans are just like the ones at every other major university in that all they care about is winning games? Big time college football is covered in slime in just about every way, about the only schools who aren't are the service academies.

• Like 1

Elsewhere on this unprecedented SEC carousel, the chatter is that Ole Miss will make interim coach Matt Luke it's permanent head coach.  Which is actually....a pretty smart move on their part.  He did a respectable job navigating this tough season, and with so much uncertainty regarding NCAA sanctions still hanging over that program (and so many better jobs available on this spin of the wheel), it's not like there were going to be any great candidates beating down their door for a job.

Let him play caretaker for 2 or 3 years, and if it works out, great.  If not, you're in a better spot to hire a good coach.