DVDVR Message Board

2017-18 NCAAF OFFSEASON THREAD

Pete

Unfortunately they have the ghost of Jim Tressel's firing looming around them.  If the story is true that Urban knew then it is really hard to say he should be stay but the guy fired from knowing about players selling merchandise and autographs doesn't

• Like 1

Oh trust me, the OSU fanbase still thinks Tressel did no wrong in that affair.  And so far the general reaction of the fanbase to this issue has been - "So what?  Meyer didn't do it and it's a police matter."

Obviously, Meyer's lying to the press issue presents a different angle - which, in fairness, is slightly less of an offense than Tressel lying to the NCAA.

Honestly, the biggest thing with the Meyer issue (not that the issue alone is something to be dismissed, mind you) is that right now is OSU is ALSO being scrutinized because of the issues with the swim team, Dr Strauss and Jim Jordan. So it's kind of a perfect storm for those who hate Ohio State.  (A gloriously beautiful storm...but I digress.)

Still and all, Urban Meyer always lands on his feet.  He'll probably have a nice little vacation and will be back before Ohio State plays a meaningful game - or else he fakes another heart attack if there's no way to wiggle out of it.  Whichever.

I don't think he'll be fired or resign.  As of now, there's no direct evidence that he knew/covered it up, and a lot of well-to-do people's lifestyles depend on him, so they'll circle the wagons and keep him insulated from any such evidence.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EdA said:

Oh trust me, the OSU fanbase still thinks Tressel did no wrong in that affair

I'm an Ohio State fan, but more than that I'm someone who thinks that the NCAA is completely and totally unjust.  So, no I don't think Tressel did anything wrong.  I think following the NCAA rules is much worse than breaking the rules he broke.  

• Like 1

What makes me laugh my head off is the people twisting themselves into pretzels in trying to justified how Mayer's wife knew about this most recent incident but didn't tell her husband, while in the same breath talking about how there super close and talk about everything.

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

What Sweatervest did really doesn't compare to either the malfeasance or incompetence of Urban in this.

Well, Urban and Tressel are both horrible human beings so...kinda similar. 

And at least Urban hasn't lied to the NCAA (about this, anyway)...yet.  But I still fully expect another fake heart attack before the month is out.

2 minutes ago, EdA said:

Well, Urban and Tressel are both horrible human beings so...kinda similar. 

And at least Urban hasn't lied to the NCAA (about this, anyway)...yet.  But I still fully expect another fake heart attack before the month is out.

How is Jim Tressel a horrible human being for not turning in players who sold and/or traded their property?  You really want to know what the problem is with all of these college sports scandals.  The entire industry is built on lies, so what is stopping these guys from telling one more lie?  These dudes go into high school kids homes and sell them a bill of goods so they pick their school instead of the 100+ other schools.  I don't know why we expect anyone who makes millions of dollars to convince kids to break the bodies for free to have a moral compass.  Everything about college sports is immoral.  Jim Tressel lying to let Terrell Pryor and company make a slight profit is downright saintly in comparison to the system that exists only to make sure they can't profit off of their talent.

• Like 3

Oh, no question the NCAA is a cesspool.  Ergo, I am not a fan.

If honestly you believe Tressel lied to the NCAA SOLELY out of the virtuousness of his heart then I can't help you.  This is a man who ran a dirty at Youngstown State before jumping to Ohio State, he knew the rules and how to bend them.  He was merely protecting himself - the same as he did his entire career.

Tressel was the same sort of flim-flam man Meyer is, he just thumped the Bible to project a Ned Flanders persona instead of being full-on scuzz.  

Still and all, we can all agree - Tressel's actions can't even touch the bottom or the barrel crap Meyer has pulled in ignoring spousal abuse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EdA said:

If honestly you believe Tressel lied to the NCAA SOLELY out of the virtuousness of his heart then I can't help you.  This is a man who ran a dirty at Youngstown State before jumping to Ohio State, he knew the rules and how to bend them.  He was merely protecting himself - the same as he did his entire career.

Nope, I don't believe he lied to the NCAA because of virtuousness.  I think someone who does a job that is built on lying is probably someone who doesn't mind lying.  I don't care if people lie to the NCAA, because whatever the lie is probably less harmful than telling the NCAA the truth.

I mean coaches treating players like shit under the disguise of "tough love" isn't really new.  Hell just look at guys like Mike Leach and Bobby Knight.   But what killed both of them was how their tough love became physical being Knight choking a player and Leach putting a player with a concussion in a dark sweatbox

The Big 10 needs to get their shit together based on the last couple years.

This Maryland press conference is going about as well as expected.

Placing the blame entirely on the training and medical staff. Coaches couldn't have done anything. But they are adding more water breaks!

To say the local media is displeased at the moment is an understatement

(Of course a good chunk of the fans aka alums are all THIS IS ESPN'S FAULT! THEIR STORY WAS BIASED! NONE OF THIS WOULD BE HAPPENING OTHERWISE!!!!)