DVDVR Message Board

2017-18 NCAAF OFFSEASON THREAD

Pete

The NCAA banned the Ole Miss football team from playing in the postseason again next season, and the Rebels also received additional scholarship deductions in the ruling the university received from the NCAA committee on infractions Friday, sources told ESPN.

The Rebels, who were accused of 15 Level I violations, including lack of institutional control, appeared in front of the NCAA committee on infractions in Covington, Kentucky, on Sept. 11-12.

Former Rebels coach Hugh Freeze, who resigned for off-field issues in July, received a two-game conference suspension from the NCAA for failure to monitor his staff. The suspension applies only for head-coaching positions, and there would be no restrictions if Freeze takes a job as a coordinator or assistant.

The Rebels were also penalized by the NCAA with an additional loss of 13 football scholarships. The university, as part of self-imposed penalties that included a bowl ban this season, had already cut 11 scholarships over a four-year period from 2015 to 2018.

NCAA spokeswoman Stacey Osborne confirmed to ESPN that Ole Miss seniors will be allowed to transfer without penalty because of the postseason ban for 2018.

My question with the scholarship bans: I understand they are meant to punish the university, but don't they have the effect of preventing kids from getting scolarships? Doesn't this mean there will be at least 13 kids out there who don't get a D1 scholarship? They should at least make it a thing that for every one taken away from a program that a bonus one is awarded to another D1 program based on academic performance of it's program.

FSU will hire Taggart, as long as Sexton doesn't f things up.  Remember, Sexton is Fisher's agent and let's just say after the last few years, Thrasher and Wilcox aren't big fans of his.  I think it's awesome Odell gets to be the interim coach tomorrow.  Dude bleeds Garnet and Gold!

14 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

True but I can wish. 

Right now the town is weird: half the city is drinking with happiness the other half sadness but I can tell you the Taggart Hype train is already going very strong. 

You in Tallahassee?  We come down for 4 or 5 games a year. I'll buy you a beer next time we are down!

Shea Patterson is going to transfer from Ole Miss

Michigan is the leader in the clubhouse

What is interesting is that only Seniors from Ole Miss can transfer without having to wait a year (due to the bowl ban)

So Patterson - a true sophomore - will have to sit

Why doesn't the NCAA allow any player a free transfer from any program that does something so serious they get a postseason ban? Wouldn't that be as great a deterrent as possible? What program would risk the possibility of losing many of their best players?

5 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Why doesn't the NCAA allow any player a free transfer from any program that does something so serious they get a postseason ban? Wouldn't that be as great a deterrent as possible? What program would risk the possibility of losing many of their best players?

Because it's the NCAA

• Like 2

He was as hot as any mid-major coach 4 or 5 years ago.  But he got into some serious shit with the NCAA, and the program fell off a cliff the last few years.

He won't be out of work too long.  Some SEC school will hire him as an assistant to cheat his balls off for them.

So Auburn managed to keep Gus Malzahn.....at the cost of $7 million a year over 7 years lol.

So get this:  They were hot to can his ass after three seasons of basically being a mediocre 8-win team.  This year, he wins 2 more games than usual -- but has no championships to show for it -- but becasue one of those wins was against Alabama, they sign up to pay him more money than Urban Meyer and Dabo Swinney?  And you know they're going to sour on him all over again when he goes 8-4 next year.

This is why Auburn will be paying people absurd money NOT to be their head coach until the end of time.

• Haha 1