DVDVR Message Board

Most Obnoxious Celebrity that You've Met

OSJ

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

No, the real jerk was right next to his booth and that was Walter Koenig. He had no one at his booth and do my friend was telling Walter that he's a big fan and all Walter could do was keep interrupting to ask if we wanted to buy a headshot. My friend eventually asks if he can take a picture with him and Walter rolls his eyes and goes, "fine." 

Ask him to say Nuclear Wessles. 

4 hours ago, OSJ said:

The flipside was Brinke Stevens, as cool a person as you can imagine.

My life is incomplete because I am a horror maven that has never met Brinke Stevens or Linnea Quigley.

I got to drink beer with Kane Hoddar when he was in town for WizardCon in DC a couple years back, though.  That dude has never met a stranger.  Totally awesome and Holy Fuck the stories he told about being a Horror B-Movie celeb were fucking awesome.

I can't think of too many horror "celebs" I've met in the past who were terribly obnoxious except for maybe Savini.  I suppose you can't afford to piss off too many fans when your acting career is tidally locked to a single genre.

Had a merch table next to Virgil in New Orleans at Wrestlecon and he was pretty cool. Watching him work was a thing of beauty.

Paul London threatened to kick my ass once because I interrupted a conversation between him and Kenny Dystra. I had booked Kenny for an autograph signing and just asked him if he would come back to the table for a minute. 

Met a ton of wrestlers and UFC guys and no one really stands out as mean or nasty. Some were warmer than others but no one was a douche. 

The worst was WCW's Gorgeous George. Worked a table for a friend and he had brought Gorgeous George in. Just a horrible person, kept spitting in a cup, would loudly mock people that looked weird and charged some guy $20 to read his short story and then told him it was stupid. 

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

My life is incomplete because I am a horror maven that has never met Brinke Stevens or Linnea Quigley.

I have been hugged and kissed on the cheek by both, eat your heart out, bro. Same with Lucy Taylor, and if you don't know who Lucy Taylor is, you need to Google her stat.

4 minutes ago, OSJ said:

I have been hugged and kissed on the cheek by both, eat your heart out, bro. Same with Lucy Taylor, and if you don't know who Lucy Taylor is, you need to Google her stat.

There are no words for how much I hate you right now.

• Haha 1

Let me add a couple of MLB players to the list of douches, and no, surprisingly enough Curt Schilling isn't one of them because I've never met him; Wade Boggs and Jack Clark on the other hand... I forget the year, but Phil Plantier was a rookie sensation the first cycle through the league until pitchers figured him out, and  bunch of us were gathered at the visiting team exit at the old Kingdome (remember that piece of shit?); anyway Phil comes out as nice as can be signing as fast as he can for one and all. Boggs and Clark come out and literally drag him away with Boggs saying loudly "Those people live here, they're not important!" and Clark just saying "C'mon rook!" Fuck both both those assholes. The next time they were in town I heckled Clark so unmercifully he tried to have me thrown out of the game, but I wasn't saying anything obscene, just truism's like "How's the car collection?" and "I hear there's a kid in Pawtuckett about to take your job!" Yeah, I'm a vicious bastard.

15 minutes ago, J.T. said:

There are no words for how much I hate you right now.

If it's any consolation, I've never met Michelle Bauer. 

I missed my chance to meet Linnea this year :(

Oh BTW, I also got to say hi to Away and Chewy from Voivod after they played with Napalm Death in Chicago. They were at the bar at Reggie's and I showed them my Piggy tribute shirt which they dug. My friend got a picture of me with Away and later on he handed me an autograph he'd got for me on the sly in the classic Away calligraphy.

A friend of mine who has worked and been on some panels at Dragoncon a few times has told me about running into Tom Savini at a few of the VIP bars at the event.  Apparently he's a bigtime boozehound and his temperament changes based on how sauced he is.

I'd heard all kinds of stories of Al Jourgensen being an asshole but he and the rest of Ministry spent a lot of time hanging out and talking to people after I saw them in 2003 and was a really nice guy.  He probably wasn't using heroin at the time.

On 11/25/2017 at 10:55 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Speaking of musical "celebrities", I'm into very small bands but some of them are celebs to me, at least. The first shows I ever went to were a three-day jaunt following Deceased, Nunslaughter (RIP Jim Lasagna), Corpsevomit, and Hatred with a buddy of mine driving. Deceased were so fucking nice they let us sleep on their hotel room floor.

I also hung out in a hotel room with some of Deceased the first time I saw them, though I didn't end up sleeping there.  We had some mutual friends who had ridden down with them and invited me to hang out with the band the rest of the night.  King Fowley has even less of a filter IRL and Les is an incredibly nice guy who would remember me every time I'd run into him again years later.

• Like 1

Can't think of a really negative celebrity experience.  Funniest one was Undertaker trying to set up a friend of mine who was going through a nasty divorce with various Divas (they knew each other pretty well, which is why I met him).  His selling points were "they're hot, rich, and dumb as shit."

10 hours ago, Robert C said:

Can't think of a really negative celebrity experience.  Funniest one was Undertaker trying to set up a friend of mine who was going through a nasty divorce with various Divas (they knew each other pretty well, which is why I met him).  His selling points were "they're hot, rich, and dumb as shit."

Wait, what?  When was this?  And did your friend have any luck with any of the Divas?

16 hours ago, ivpvideos said:

Met a ton of wrestlers and UFC guys and no one really stands out as mean or nasty. Some were warmer than others but no one was a douche. 

I've met plenty of UFC guys over the years and all of them have been really nice.  It is crazy how often you run into fighters over a fight weekend.  If you are in the same city as a UFC fight and just hangout around the arena, you'll probably meet a few of them.

I'm always amazed by how many athletes either project much larger than what you'd think or much smaller than what you'd think.  I met Wanderlei Silva once and had no idea how he was able to cut down to 205, he looked massive.  I met Marcus Davis, and had no idea how he wasn't fighting at lightweight instead of welterweight.  If Marcus Davis walked in the room, you wouldn't notice at all.  If Wanderlei Silva walked in the room, everybody would stop and wonder who the hell that big guy is.  Another group of people who can project larger or smaller is NFL running backs.  I may just be remembering this wrong, but I swear I'm bigger and taller than both Leroy Hoard (I met him when he was playing and I was a 165 lb. 15 year old) and Rudi Johnson.  Both of those dudes are listed at 5'10" but I'm at least as tall as both of them if not taller and I'm 5'8" on a good day.  Neither of them looked to be over 205-210, but that is harder to tell.  Clinton Portis on the other hand, while not tall, projects much larger than his listed 205 lbs.  If you had to pick a fight with one of those dudes, Portis would be the absolute last one you'd choose.  

The most obnoxious celebrity encounter I've ever had is with the rap group Tha Alkoholiks and Xzibit, and it was me and my cousins being obnoxious not them.  So we had a family reunion in Chicago, and ended up staying in the same hotel as Tha Liks and they were really cool guys.  So one of my cousins, let's call her Mandy, is the queen of terrible decision making.  We were all hanging out and being goofy teenagers, and all of a sudden Mandy comes up missing.  She is not in her room, in her dad's room, or any other place we can think to look.  We were looking for her for about an hour and a half before my cousin, let's call him Brandon, says, "I bet you she's with those rappers."  So, we decide we are going to go to their room and see if she's there.  OK, so there are about 6-8 of us, and we go bang on one of their doors.  Xzibit, who is maybe about 2 months from dropping "Paparazzi", opens the door looking like he's been sleep for an hour and is extremely worried about what all these people are doing at his door.  We ask him if he's seen "Mandy," and he's looking at us like, "I don't know who that is, and I hope I don't have to fight all of you over this woman I don't know."  He's clearly telling the truth, and we say, "sorry to bother you," and he pretty much laughs and says, "I hope y'all find her, I thought y'all were about to beat my ass."  As soon as we get back to the room we've been hanging out in, Mandy is sitting by the door looking at us like, "where the hell have you guys been?"  Now that I'm thinking about it, I wouldn't be surprised if this all happened within a week or two of me meeting Leroy Hoard.

• Like 2

Greg the Hammer Valentine. Complete tool. He was brought in to work an indie show I was filming. The promoter had a cable access show that ran locally and when he brought in a name wrestler he would usually ask them if they would mind taping a couple of 10-second promos for us. It was simple hey I'm "insert name of wrestler" and you're watching "insert name of show" and then maybe throw in a catch phrase or whatever. Pretty much every other wrestler he ever brought in agreed to do it, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, the Motor City Machine Guns, Angelina Love, Nikolai volkoff etc etc.

A couple of people refused but were nice about it saying they didn't want to do it or they couldn't do it for a contractual reason. Greg the hammer on the other hand was just openly hostile about it it started screaming at me when I politely introduce myself and asked about it. I quickly said okay sorry for bothering you and walked away, at which point he called me a dick head and told me not to come back and bother him.

I'd write it up as a one-off thing but all the wrestlers who worked with him that night hated him too ( hescreamed at the guy he was teaming with after their match for supposedly messing up the finish of the match) and when the promoter brought him back in a year and a half later he was insufferable a second time.

20 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

I'd heard all kinds of stories of Al Jourgensen being an asshole but he and the rest of Ministry spent a lot of time hanging out and talking to people after I saw them in 2003 and was a really nice guy.  He probably wasn't using heroin at the time.

I met Al after a show once and he was perfectly cool and pleasant, even though he was understandably beat. I complimented the Blackhawks jersey he was wearing, so that might have warmed him up (this was during the team's dark years too). Thrill Kill Kult opened for them and they were all great.

Pretty much every interaction I've had with celebrities has been alright. Only weird one was Mira Sorvino. She was really friendly, but was insistent that she came up with the idea's for Pan's Labyrinth and Inglorious Basterds. I can't remember what she said about Basterds, but she claimed that she had a journal that she lent Guillermo del Toro during Mimic that had the basic ideas that eventually became Pan's.

Jim Jarmusch is a saint. Also, really self-deprecating about his own movies.

3 hours ago, elizium said:

Pretty much every interaction I've had with celebrities has been alright. Only weird one was Mira Sorvino. She was really friendly, but was insistent that she came up with the idea's for Pan's Labyrinth and Inglorious Basterds. I can't remember what she said about Basterds, but she claimed that she had a journal that she lent Guillermo del Toro during Mimic that had the basic ideas that eventually became Pan's.

"Hey is that your journal?"

"yes. That is my journal."

"can I borrow it?"

"of course! Here. Enjoy my journal."

yep. That checks out as a normal ineraction any number of adults might have.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, piranesi said:

"can I borrow it?"

"May I draw a giant penis in it?"

There FIFY in more keeping with the thread.

1 minute ago, OSJ said:

There FIFY in more keeping with the thread.

Based on the thread this one spun off of:

"Sure, you can borrow it."

"Oh, by the way, I have a photobook of me doing coke with Malay prostitutes from the year 1988. I have a fairly large penis as you will see. Fair exchange?"

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, piranesi said:

"can I borrow it?"

You can't expect entertainers to live by the normal social codes of us normals.

1 minute ago, elizium said:

You can't expect entertainers to live by the normal social codes of us normals.

What are you talking about? I lent my dream diary to my boss just last month.  It is weird that he just quit after his new web comic about me in the fifth grade being late to gym class because my bike was suddenly made out of bread went super viral...

I wonder....

• Like 1

The only bad celeb interaction I have had happened before the person was a celeb. Growing up my best friend's little brother was best friends with Brad Arnold of 3 Doors Down.  So I have known Brad since he was about 12.

Skip ahead to the mid 90s,3 Doors Down is playing local clubs,bars and house parties. So a buddy asked me to see if they would play at his annual Halloween House Party. They agreed but wanted "Beer,at least an ounce of smoke and an 8 ball"

Well we got them the beer and the ounce,but not the 8 ball and Brad and Todd threw a fit. 

Skip ahead to the late 90s I have moved from the MS gulf coast to the Golden Triangle area of TX. I am driving to work and hear Kryptonite on the radio. Was shocked that 3 doors down had gotten a record deal,mostly cause out of all the bands from the MS gulf coast area 3 Doors Down was the worst of the bands.

Skip ahead to 2000,I am on the MS Gulf Coast visiting family for X-mas. The previously mentioned best friend calls me the day after Xmas asking if I wanted to go hang out. We end up at a car wash in Escatawpa MS. See a purple Prowler flying down the street. It parks at the car wash. Brad stumbles out. We walk over to talk to him. He mutters something "No I don't have CDs on me you gotta goto Gautier to get them." My buddy looks at Brad and said "Brad it is Randal's older brother I just wanted to say hi!" Again Brad mutters "No the CDs are at the record store in Gautier" And keeps on pumping quarters into the vacuum machine. I look down and see what I assume is fresh track marks on Brad's arm. Finally Brad gets back into the prowler and drives off. Never using the vacuum.