DVDVR Message Board

Most Obnoxious Celebrity that You've Met

OSJ

Not wanting to derail the important stuff in the Sexual Harassment thread. I thought it might be fun to create this thread: Who are the most obnoxious celebrities that you've interacted with? Can be a pro athlete, actor, comic-book creator, politician, whatever. If you name a politician, keep it to their behavior NOT their politics or I will become upset and ask DEAN! for my ban hammer back. 

I've honestly never had a real negative interaction with a celeb. Jerry Lawler kinda blew me off I guess, son he shook my hand while literally not stopping walking and I don't think said a word. But that's not that bad, really.

Some friends of mine met Stanley Tucci, and he basically cut then off before they even finished saying hello "go fuck yourselves" or something to that effect.

I guess it's because I'm sort of an E-lister in real life that I've met literally dozens of celebs from pro athletes to hollywood types to a few pols. Let's see, I've told these stories before, but Mickey Mantle and Eddie Mathews (two of my childhood heroes), were a pair of silly old drunks who blew off talking to the fans that had paid to meet them while trying to look up the dress of the reporter sent to cover the event.

Linda Blair: One of my early crushes, met her when we were in our forties and she was still hot as hell (damn, I'm glad Kathy doesn't read this board), anyway she was full of herself, standoffish, and radiated an attitude of entitlement as opposed to the other media guest at this convention, Tom Savini, who is as nice a man as you would ever want to meet. The capstone was when Blair threw a hissy-fit in the main room screaming about having to use the same bathroom as the "common people".  

Oh yeah, mentioned the Gaylord Perry story before, just a typical nasty redneck.

There's more, lots more, but let's see what y'all have...

I've only ever met one celebrity in the wild (Mojo Nixon, who was super cheerful and fun).  At cons, I've met people who seemed a little ambivalent or tired after the con grind.  The only one who seemed to actually, actively resent talking to fans was Bruce Boxleitner, and he wasn't overtly rude but very tersely polite and clearly wasn't happy to spend a day getting told how important Tron and Bab5 were to younger generations.

I've mentioned my dad's limo business and how I managed to meet a bunch of celebs through his good graces that way. Almost all of them were cool and nice, but Miles Davis was the big exception. Just a complete asshole who wound up stiffing dad on several thousands of dollars in services for good measure. Amusingly, his wife Cicely Tyson was an absolute sweetheart.

• Like 1

I've never met a major celebrity, although my sister has a story about chewing out Bruce Willis on the phone...she was in college in Philly back in the late 90's when Willis was making movies there on a regular basis and long story short he was trying to bang my sister's roommate and she had to tell him to stop calling the apartment...

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I've mentioned my dad's limo business and how I managed to meet a bunch of celebs through his good graces that way. Almost all of them were cool and nice, but Miles Davis was the big exception. Just a complete asshole who wound up stiffing dad on several thousands of dollars in services for good measure. Amusingly, his wife Cicely Tyson was an absolute sweetheart.

I believe there was a documentary or interview where someone asked Miles to describe what it was like to be married to Cicely. 

His response: "Bitch."

Oh Miles, you crazy character.

OSJ is a AAA-lister on DVDVR. If I met him, I bet he'd let me pet his cats and tell me about meeting horror icons and send me on my way before ranting on here about me and my foolhardy moxie.

• Like 2

Bubba The Love Sponge. Had dinner with he and his family back in '10. His family was really cool, especially his mom, and he's not a bad guy(discounting the whole Hulkster sex tape kerflufflle). Maybe he's not obnoxious and I just felt like bragging I had dinner with him one time. Fuck, I don't know. Heh.

8 hours ago, Ryan said:

OSJ is a AAA-lister on DVDVR. If I met him, I bet he'd let me pet his cats and tell me about meeting horror icons and send me on my way before ranting on here about me and my foolhardy moxie.

You could pet any of the cats except Sumuru, she's a mean little thing who will rip your eyes out as soon as look at you, in ten years, I'm the only one who can pick her up without grave consequences. Pretty much anyone who visits is in for a day of stories (some of them even true), and gets sent along with a bunch of books. ;-)

Oh, here's a weird one, the guy was being pleasant as all get out after we were introduced and found out we graduated (or dropped out of) rival schools the same year and still managed to be more appalling than any of the people who were actually nasty. I refer to the late, unlamented El Duce of the Mentors. My buddy was the only booking agent in Seattle that would have anything to do with them and dragged me to a party based on "meet the new band I'm working with". Okay, probably another Zeppelin tribute band or another BTO knock-off twenty years too late, what the hell... No it turned out to be the Mentors and within five minutes of being introduced El Duce was telling me he could now buy an extra couple of fifths of MD 20/20 a week as he had stopped buying toilet paper as his old lady knew what her tongue was for. What a lovely human being.

I spent an evening with Tom Savini at a Rocky Horror convention. Have no idea why he was booked. Found him to be a bit of a creeper. Barry Bostwick has been a delight each time I've met him. Richard Elfman (Director of the Forbidden Zone and founder of the Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo) is amazing with how much energy he constantly has, and he's an excellent cook. 

A friend of mine that frequented the horror cons said Robert Englund was a bit of a dick and Tom Savini was both an asshole and a cokehead. How she knew about the latter I do not know except she did partake back in the day, so maybe she could just tell. The only one I went to I didn't get any autographs or anything (not my style), but Dee Wallace Stone really, really looked like she didn't want to be there while she was signing. Joe Bob Briggs seemed to be cool because he was walking around and talking to anyone and did a hilarious commentary for I Spit On Your Grave. And that guy is TALL. I'm talking like an easy 7'. 

Oh, I DID almost get to have dinner with Bill Moseley and Sid Haig with a connection I had but it wasn't to be

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

A friend of mine that frequented the horror cons said Robert Englund was a bit of a dick and Tom Savini was both an asshole and a cokehead. How she knew about the latter I do not know except she did partake back in the day, so maybe she could just tell. The only one I went to I didn't get any autographs or anything (not my style), but Dee Wallace Stone really, really looked like she didn't want to be there while she was signing. Joe Bob Briggs seemed to be cool because he was walking around and talking to anyone and did a hilarious commentary for I Spit On Your Grave. And that guy is TALL. I'm talking like an easy 7'. 

Oh, I DID almost get to have dinner with Bill Moseley and Sid Haig with a connection I had but it wasn't to be

Having indulged myself once upon a time, I hardly hold anyone's drug or alcohol use against them (unless they're an asshole when under the influence). Bill Moseley is cool as fuck, we were on a midnight panel at World Horror SF and I was to read the infamous "corn on the cob" scene from Edward Lee & my novel Goon*, I handed the passage to Bill saying, you do redneck better than I ever could and he brought the house down. 

* If you don't know what the "corn on the cob" scene refers to, buy the book on Amazon you cheap bastards. Oh yeah, I am not about to reproduce it here, RIPPA would ban me for life. I'll just say this, it's worse than anything you can imagine, much worse...

Only celeb experiences I have ever had were at comicons. Only disappointing one was Adam West and Burt Ward about 4-5 years ago. Paid 120 bucks to get a photo with them, both stared straight ahead and never said a word to me. Best ones were Stephen Amell and Dirk Benedict. Both very friendly and talkative. 

13 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

Only celeb experiences I have ever had were at comicons. Only disappointing one was Adam West and Burt Ward about 4-5 years ago. Paid 120 bucks to get a photo with them, both stared straight ahead and never said a word to me. Best ones were Stephen Amell and Dirk Benedict. Both very friendly and talkative. 

If I was Dirk Benedict I would be happy all the time too. Likewise, if I was Burt Ward I imagine I would spend a lot of time staring straight ahead not saying a word.

• Like 3

I spent 4 years on and off doing catering at a good sized arena. A majority of the time a big act came through myself and a few others would be responsible for setting up their dressing rooms and occasionally waiting on them should there be some big banquet or whatever.  My boss usually put me and another guy on dressing room detail because we were always nonplussed by anyone's celebrity status (and because I often didn't know who most of these people were as they didn't play music or do stuff I cared about).  We weren't supposed to talk to the performers unless they asked us for something so most of my interactions were pretty neutral.  Carrie Underwood and Allison Kraus are the ones I can remember offhand as being especially nice.  The members of various big name performers' backing bands have always been incredibly nice folks as well.  Typically I found tour managers, promoters, personal assistants, and other such people to be much bigger assholes than any celebs themselves.

The only celebs I actually went somewhere to meet were Chuck Palahniuk and Bruce Campbell at book signings.  Both guys were class acts, especially Bruce who had been signing for several hours by the time my number came up.

2 hours ago, piranesi said:

If I was Dirk Benedict I would be happy all the time too. Likewise, if I was Burt Ward I imagine I would spend a lot of time staring straight ahead not saying a word.

C'mon, the man was in Robot Ninja for chrissakes...

in Miles Davis' own autobiography he is a self-admitted total asshole. sometimes when they're like that it's better that they're assholes when you meet. not if they stiff you though.

tour managers are paid to be assholes. they have to make split second decisions all the time so they just appear curt and unfriendly. never had many good dealings with them as a promoter or a musician touring (we don't have one, or I am it) but I get why they are like that.

most obnoxious was probably the guitarist from Interpol. was doing an assignment on a package tour they were on with The Datsuns, Polyphonic Spree, and The Thrills, and the photog. hadn't shown so I was doing double duty. he took my camera off me mid-soundcheck and only gave it back afterward. didn't want pics around of them not in their sophisticated suits. fine - ask then!

I honestly don't think I've ever met a celebrity other than a few sports people (who were all fine). This is what happens when you live in Alberta.

Was Miles Davis just generally a jerk? How would that rate against Sun Ra being actually crazy and firing people from his band by just leaving them behind when the band left town? Like literally just flying out of Europe and leaving a dude at the hotel.

Speaking of musical "celebrities", I'm into very small bands but some of them are celebs to me, at least. The first shows I ever went to were a three-day jaunt following Deceased, Nunslaughter (RIP Jim Lasagna), Corpsevomit, and Hatred with a buddy of mine driving. Deceased were so fucking nice they let us sleep on their hotel room floor. Later on at a fest I got to meet the members of Nasty Savage who were all super cool and talked/hung all day long in the parking lot. Then Metalucifer showed up and me and a friend got photos and even a short broken-English conversation out of frontman Gezol (also of Sabbat, of course). So, score one for the underground metal scene! 

• Like 2

Literally the closest thing I've ever known to a celebrity was Arik Cannon the pro wrestler, long long ago before his PBR days. He's incredibly nice. Colt Cabana was really nice at the time too. Only other chance I'd get to mee celebs up here would be a random Packer player if I frequented bars or if someone was visiting home like a Tony Shalhoub or the few others from the area. My friends used to both work at an upscale dog grooming/whatever place in Green Bay and met plenty of random players that way over the years. Oh and my friend's GF's sister dated Antonio Freeman for awhile. He has a bunch of his old clothes. They're enormous. He wasn't even that big.