DVDVR Message Board

SDL is Ruby Ruby Ruby Soho - 11/21/2017

Dolfan in NYC

I said it when she debuted in NXT, and it still rings true now, but man, it brings a tear to my eye to see our hometown girl, waitress, and wrestler Dori/Ruby get called up to SDL. She's living the fucking dream and that's AWESOME. 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Casey said:

I wish I lived in this world where Heidi Lovelace/Ruby Riot isn't better than fucking Paige. And I'm a huge Paige mark. This is extremely laughable to me.

Out was said she was better in every conceivable way. Riot is all personality and look, but she is...not very good on the ring from what I've seen on NXT. That's the only reason I'm contesting  this statement. 

11 hours ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

Bludgeon Brothers would get over huge if this was 1992.  In 2017.... I'm not so sure.

In 1992, they'd have been wearing antlers and cyborg faces.

1 hour ago, MADCAP said:

Out was said she was better in every conceivable way. Riot is all personality and look, but she is...not very good on the ring from what I've seen on NXT. That's the only reason I'm contesting  this statement. 

I like both but I don't see Riot being head and shoulders above Paige. Anyway, can't two "alternative" female wrestlers co-exist without "but she's better!" comparisons? 

• Like 1

It's pedantic of me, but the thing I hate most about the comparison is that the two subcultures/music genres their gimmicks evoke aren't really even adjacent. Ruby's name is an intentional derivation of "riot grrrl" and Paige has a vaguely NWOBHM aesthetic. It's like looking at Judas Priest and Bikini Kill and saying yes, these are basically the same.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

1. Why does Ruby Riot resemble Jerry Only in that picture.

2. When I think of Riot, I think of:

01.jpg

And not B-Show Paige.

I will give Ruby her props and say that at least she looks like the more authentic goth queen since she was hardcore enough to get inked.

I hate the name Bludgeon Brothers, but I like their gimmick of escaped characters from a G'war show on the warpath.  They will make for perfectly fine transitional tag champs until Vince calls up the AoP.

Hopefully, Billy Corgan will have the payroll to pick up Harper and Rowan after they get future endeavored after inevitably dropping the straps to the AoP when they debut.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

It's pedantic of me, but the thing I hate most about the comparison is that the two subcultures/music genres their gimmicks evoke aren't really even adjacent. Ruby's name is an intentional derivation of "riot grrrl" and Paige has a vaguely NWOBHM aesthetic. It's like looking at Judas Priest and Bikini Kill and saying yes, these are basically the same.

She was named after Tom Araya of Slayer in real life. But that's the metalhead in me being pedantic 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Man, I've watched all of the BLACK COBRA movies multiple times and even I haven't touched a marine.

That didn't come our right.

Depending on who you ask, anywhere from 3 to 58 Marines touched Shawn Michaels.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

No matter how much they try, they seemingly cannot dim Rusev's star or destroy his enthusiasm.

I echo the sentiment, Rusev is a national treasure.

Nobody could destroy my enthusiasm either if I was married to Lana.

1 hour ago, Cristobal said:

Has anyone actually watched The Marine movies?

...why?

I watched maybe about a 1/2 hour of the first one. From what I watched it wasn't terrible, just a very generic action flick. I think Cena had some lines that made me chuckle.