DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 122: Bisping vs. Gastelum (11/25/2017) - Shanghai, China (Mercedes Benz Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

13 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

He's retiring in March so it's not like he is a prospect you're expecting to have on roster for the next several years. And it's not a comeback fight. HE JUST FOUGHT THREE WEEKS AGO! If he decides to fight at the O2 in March, I doubt this has an affect on the ticket sales. He has been the most consistent draw in the UK since UFC 70 through career highs and lows.

On this show, he was the most over foreigner so I'm guessing people did pay to come see him after Anderson dropped off the card.

That's absurd because the U.S. commissions have sanctioned all types of people. For fuck sakes, New York has sanctioned Antonio Margarito AND Michael Bisping who both have two good eyes between them. Hell yeah, this would get sanctioned.

In a decade plus of knowing Michael Bisping, he would be the last guy I would expect to have a confidence issue. Now the misguided confidence may be a big issue, but that hasn't stopped him before.

The fight wouldn't be sanctioned by any legitimate commission worth its salt.  It got sanctioned because the fight was in China where UFC was self-regulating and there was no athletic commission in place. 

Man, this is a whole lot of hand wringing over Michael fucking Bisping. Dude wanted the fight, took the fight, and got paid. Guy wants a little bit of bigger bank account before he retires and he's healthy enough to fight? Then fuck it, let him fight, and that's what they did.

Dana, Ari, and no one else put a gun to Bisping's head and said, "Yo, we're cashing in the IOU we gave you when you got that title fight against Rockhold, DYWTBAFF?!" If he was so fucked up from losing to GSP then he wouldn't have been out there.

Plus, what's this shit about "any legitimate commission worth its salt"? Didn't know Vile One was in his 60s. If you give that much of a shit about shady commissions and the shady shit they do, then why dedicate so much time to the sport and not spend that time protesting the commission or with doing anything else? If you keep giving them your money and time, if you keep writing about UFC, then they're going to keep on doing what they've always done. 

• Like 1

From what I understand, Bisping's paybase for this fight was $500,000 and all signs point to him being paid more to step in on short notice.

It's kinda sucks that it takes almost 30 fights in the organization for someone to be in the driver's seat of their career in terms of making money. I mean I remember when Bisping not too long ago had to confront John Makdessi in the elevator of the fighter hotel about not being paid by a sponsor (IIRC UFC 186) that Makdessi was either part owner or responsible for getting fighters to rep that brand. Bisping was going to whoop Makdessi's ass, and Makdessi and his folks avoided Bisping (and a few other folks who didn't get paid but Bisping was the only one who spoke up directly) like the plague. 

Bisping has always been the company guy even when it didn't pay that much. Now when it does and he is in the twilight of his career, I certainly don't expect that to change one bit.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Don't worry, it'll be on FS2 in no time

Do Fight Pass exclusive shows air on Fox Sports channels? I've never seen one. Or are you talking about the compilation shows?

7 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Dunno, I don't follow too regularly anymore, but it seems like most Fight Night cards end up there. I had no idea it was Fight Pass exclusive for that matter.

Yeah, the FS1 (or FS2/FXX/FX when applicable) and the old PPVs air frequently on those channels but I've never seen the Fight Pass stuff on there. Now it does make sense that the PPVs end up on Fight Pass after 30 days or w/e, but Fight Pass content (specifically whole shows) airing on any of the Fox Sports channels don't make sense. In clip show form for the KO or Submission highlight shows, I don't think there would be an issue since Zuffa owns the content and it's not undercutting either platform.

On 11/25/2017 at 3:17 PM, The Natural said:

I didn't get back in time with how quickly the main event ended...

...First time MIchael Bisping's knocked out cold since THAT 1- 2 by Dan Henderson at UFC 100, right?

On 11/25/2017 at 7:23 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

TBH that flying forearm could very well be the 2 in that combination.

Mandatory:

[IMG]

Image result for hendo bisping ko