DVDVR Message Board

2017 NCAAF: WEEK 13

Dolfan in NYC

Sparty is sooooo bad today. They are winning 16-7 vs Rutgers here in front of about 20,000 people. Just nothing but stupid mistakes, against any other B1G team they'd be down by at least 14. How the hell are they ranked #16? How the hell did they beat Ped State?

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

Sparty is sooooo bad today. They are winning 16-7 vs Rutgers here in front of about 20,000 people. Just nothing but stupid mistakes, against any other B1G team they'd be down by at least 14. How the hell are they ranked #16? How the hell did they beat Ped State?

Weather. Plain and simple. Their two biggest wins this year both came with the kind of absurd weather that evens out athletic advantages. They play Michigan or Pedo on a mild, clear day, they get their ass kicked.

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Looking at Alabama's schedule and wins and the fact that they won't play in the SEC title game,  you would think that was their exit from playoff contention. 

Need upsets in at least 2 out of 3 of the Big12, B1G, and ACC title games to have a shot.  Crazier things have conspired to get Bama back in the title picture before, though.

Let's see.   Winner of Georgia and Auburn is in?  that's one spot.   Is the winner of Clemson and Miami in?  Oklahoma is in with a win.  Badgers are in with a win.   Would the committee put a 2-loss Ohio St. team over Alabama?   They might.  That Mercer game looks ridiculous even by SEC standards. 

7 hours ago, EVA said:

Need upsets in at least 2 out of 3 of the Big12, B1G, and ACC title games to have a shot.  Crazier things have conspired to get Bama back in the title picture before, though.

I'm not sure the ACC would help that much. Miami would have a bigger win by far than anything Bama has this year, plus the ND* victory, the same record, and a conference title.

*Admittedly less impressive now

I think their absolute best bet is Auburn winning and WVU shocking the Sooners and Ohio winning (which actually the Buckeyes are going to be the favorites) and then hoping the committee doesn't fall in love with Ohio.

If the Bucks romp Wisconsin, that won't help much.

Miami has the worst loss of any top team, and they lost a game due to one of those hurricanes, which means they don’t have the fabled “thirteenth data point.”  I think it would at least be a serious discussion among the committee between Bama/Miami, even if that is probably the least likely of the three to be most immediately helpful to the cause.

This just needs to be said: if a D1 school can go through a season undefeated and not make the playoffs then the whole thing is a farce. Just make D1 the 5 power conferences and create a new subdivision for everyone else if this is how things are going to be. And I don't want to hear this horseshit about strength of schedule. If a team in the NFL has a shitty schedule and runs the table do they get excluded from the playoffs for a multiple loss team who had a strong schedule? And there's also the fact that power 5 schools won't play mid/upper mid major schools unless they are home games for the p5 schools.

Literally the only thing comparable to it I can think of is Bill Snyder at KSU.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's scum, he's proven even without the Pedo State stuff to be a terrible person... But judging this purely on his coaching merits, it's the best hire Tennessee has made in a generation.

LOL @ you guys trying to dap this guy up for beating Ball State in the International Bowl.  What an accomplishment.

If he was getting to big bowl games and taking down big-time opponents, I'd be willing to hear it.  But dude played in 3rd-tier bowl games that only exist because of Too Many Bowls against mid-major and barely-.500 major teams.  It's meaningless.

If there were a zillion bowl games because ESPN demanded it 20-30-40-50 years ago, Rutgers would've gone to some shitty bowls then, too.

5 minutes ago, EVA said:

LOL @ you guys trying to dap this guy up for beating Ball State in the International Bowl.  What an accomplishment.

If he was getting to big bowl games and taking down big-time opponents, I'd be willing to hear it.  But dude played in 3rd-tier bowl games that only exist because of Too Many Bowls against mid-major and barely-.500 major teams.  It's meaningless.

If there were a zillion bowl games because ESPN demanded it 20-30-40-50 years ago, Rutgers would've gone to some shitty bowls then, too.

As evidenced by them almost immediately becoming the worst team in the power 5 after he left?

24 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Rutgers went to seven bowls with him, and won five. Without him, in the entire history of the program, they've been to one (which they did win) and that was the year after he left, with the team he built.

They went to 3 straight bowls after his left (2012, 2013, 2014)

But I assume that will still fill under your HE RECRUITED THEM!!! theme

And they went to 6 bowls under him - not sure which one you are giving him credit for to get to 7