DVDVR Message Board

Mayweather vs. Alvarez

goodhelmet

"Near his weight" lol.  Canelo was damn 165 tonight.  Hypothetically speaking, Martinez typically fights at 154-160.  Floyd was 150 tonight.  It's a doable fight if Martinez dropped in weight.  I honestly don't see any true welters outside of Pac or Bradley that would have anything close to a chance with Mayweather, and for what it's worth, I don't think those two guys would at this stage in their careers either.  MAYBE Devon Alexander, and that's a stretch.

Floyd has a grand total of 1 bout at the super welterweight limit since coming out of retirement #2 and that was against the guy whose biggest success came at super lightweight and welterweight. And before that, the other super welterweight bout was against a man whose prime was at welter and below. Are you noticing a trend here?

Anyway, DiBella knows that Martinez's days are numbered. Even he was smart enough to admit that he wouldn't match Sergio with Golovkin. Sergio might fight some subpar tuneup competition before losing to Golovkin or just bow out gracefully. Plus, Sergio hasn't made 154 since early 2009. It ain't going to be easier now that he is rapidly closing in on 40.

• Like 1

Really the only 3 that come to mind are Bradley(who would get outclassed), Martinez and Golovkin, both of whom would need to drop weight.  None of those fights are happening though.

Thank you.

Posted Image

CJ Ross who scored Mayweather Jr. vs. Canelo a draw, was one of the two judges who scored Bradley vs. Pacquiao last year for Bradley. I remember watching that fight live and couldn't believe that verdict.

• Like 1

I thought Alvarez had the right idea first by disrespecting Floyd to try and get into his head. Throw him off and get him all shook. But it never happened and he never fought with any killer instinct. Floyd coasted as usual (give or take a couple of flurries). The first few rounds Alvarez was testing the waters so to speak. Only way you're ever going to beat Floyd is come out guns blazing. I hate to say it, but as much as I hate Floyd I really think there probably is no one who can beat him. He's going to retire undefeated and it's going to drive everyone nuts.

No he won't. He should but he will probably fight way too long like every boxer does and someone will get him.

Question: Is Floyd in the running for greatest boxer of all time?

You can throw his name out there but no one would ever say he is the GOAT
Better question: Has there ever been a bigger divide between the biggest name in boxing and everyone else than right now, possibly including the Ali era? Although that probably stops the instant there's a viable American heavyweight contender.

Shocked there wasn't a thread for this.41 million.Mayweather wins either way.

We probably would've discussed this in the Boxing thread.

Poor Canelo got clowned and exposed as did most of the competition he's faced over the years. 

I told everyone here at work that Danny Garcia was fucking legit but nobody listened.  The build up to Garcia / Maywether will be epic, but Danny isn't good enough to beat Mayweather either.  He's got a puncher's chance but that's about it.

Announcers are marks being worked.  CJ Ross's job is obviously to stir up CONTROVERSY~! with the comission's blessing, generate buzz for rematches and be the target of firey discussions in boxing dirtsheets so that the fight game stays relevant. 

If the comission really did think she was on the take, they'd have censured her or revoked her license after the Bradley / Pacquiao fight.  Angry or otherwise, people are talking about Boxing again and will pay cash money to see the next Big Hope try to beat down Money Mayweather.

Question: Is Floyd in the running for greatest boxer of all time?

You can throw his name out there but no one would ever say he is the GOAT
Better question: Has there ever been a bigger divide between the biggest name in boxing and everyone else than right now, possibly including the Ali era? Although that probably stops the instant there's a viable American heavyweight contender.

I think you would have to go back to 1967-68 WBA heavyweight title tournament. No matter how good and underrated some of those guys were, they weren't Muhammad Ali. And Frazier was still considered a substitute. Tyson at least had Holyfield and you could see they were going to get matched up.

As far as Mayweather being the GOAT goes, neither Mayweather nor his opponants have faced the quality of opposition that Ali and his peers did, but that is a sign of the times.

Boxing is a lot like MMA with all of these microdivisions and title belts and champions that seem to always fight the same slate of five or six revolving contenders. 

Your last great unified champ that fought all comers was Tyson, IMO.  Lennox Lewis was a great boxer but he hit his stride right about the time that real fragementation began in all of the championships and it didn't help that he beat guys past their prime and ducked a few guys that probably could've kicked his ass.

Also, Tyson and prior to that Holmes also had the Middleweight Four as marquee-value fighters even if all four were past their prime by the late 80s, they were all still names.

I should clarify that I meant anyone fighting at any given time regardless of weight class. Because after Floyd is the Klitschko brothers and that's a big drop off.

Your last great unified champ that fought all comers was Tyson, IMO.  Lennox Lewis was a great boxer but he hit his stride right about the time that real fragementation began in all of the championships and it didn't help that he beat guys past their prime and ducked a few guys that probably could've kicked his ass.

Tyson didn't fight Ruddock until AFTER he lost the belt. If he didn't pull out of the Ruddock bout, Buster Douglas doesn't even sniff a world title bout.

Mayweather is the only fighter I can think of that has never had an opponent who was considered worthy of being mentioned as a rival.  He beats everyone so soundly that there isn't even a question about whether or not there will be a rematch.  He just straight clowns on these fools and moves on with his life.  No rematches, no rubber matches, just solemn lefts and sanctified rights.

• Like 1

Tyson didn't fight Ruddock until AFTER he lost the belt. If he didn't pull out of the Ruddock bout, Buster Douglas doesn't even sniff a world title bout.

Douglas had victories over an aging Trevor Berbick and a respectable win over Oliver McCall but yeah, he's not the guy you'd build a money fight on since his conditioning was really suspect.  I think Tyson had the misfortune of being put in the ring with a guy that most people assumed was a pidgeon at the moment in time where Buster suddenly developed the desire to prove something to himself.

Mayweather is the only fighter I can think of that has never had an opponent who was considered worthy of being mentioned as a rival.  He beats everyone so soundly that there isn't even a question about whether or not there will be a rematch.  He just straight clowns on these fools and moves on with his life.  No rematches, no rubber matches, just solemn lefts and sanctified rights.

Mayweather is out of luck in this era that he doesnt have a guy like Tommy Hearns to challenge him or a Duran.  You can only beat the guys they put in front of you and Floyd can still beat them with his eyes closed in fact I cant even think of a guy that can take Floyd down unless he decides to take on someone way too big for him but you wish you could see Floyd try and solve the puzzle that was Hearns being freakishly tall with incredible power or a Ray Leonard with that speed.  Floyd would have Duran quitting by round 10 or so.