DVDVR Message Board

Mayweather vs. Alvarez

goodhelmet

Typical one sided boring Mayweather fight after the halfway point.  The right guy won, but at least Alvarez really tried to press him.  He basically gassed out after round 7.  I will always find Floyd's fights infuriatingly boring though.  Potshot, shoulder roll, potshot, hold. 

That CJ Ross card was baffling.

FFS. It's a fucking masterclass in the sport, only meatheads find it boring.

I'm by no means a meathead.  I've been watching boxing for 25 years.  Floyd's style is fucking boring.  Chris goddamn Byrd was more exciting to watch.  Juan Manuel Marquez is a masterclass tactical fighter, and still manages to rise above "paint drying".

I'm by no means a meathead.  I've been watching boxing for 25 years.  Floyd's style is fucking boring.  Chris goddamn Byrd was more exciting to watch.

25 years and you don't appreciate his talent? I can't see how it's boring. Not at all.

I definitely readily acknowledge his skill, that doesn't mean I find him exciting.  I've only questioned one decision win in his whole career, and that was the first Castillo fight.  I will always give him credit when he wins, it's just a chore to get through.

I'd be more entertained if during the postfight interview, all the people Floyd has beaten would do a Nexus/Horsemen/nWo style beatdown. 

But Floyd's amateur "box for points" dance around is boring. But the judge who scored it a draw must have gotten sick of watching "Dancing With the Stars".

Alvarez was far too flat footed, timid even. 

• Like 1

I thought Alvarez had the right idea first by disrespecting Floyd to try and get into his head. Throw him off and get him all shook. But it never happened and he never fought with any killer instinct. Floyd coasted as usual (give or take a couple of flurries). The first few rounds Alvarez was testing the waters so to speak. Only way you're ever going to beat Floyd is come out guns blazing.

I hate to say it, but as much as I hate Floyd I really think there probably is no one who can beat him. He's going to retire undefeated and it's going to drive everyone nuts.

I thought Alvarez had the right idea first by disrespecting Floyd to try and get into his head. Throw him off and get him all shook. But it never happened and he never fought with any killer instinct. Floyd coasted as usual (give or take a couple of flurries). The first few rounds Alvarez was testing the waters so to speak. Only way you're ever going to beat Floyd is come out guns blazing.

I hate to say it, but as much as I hate Floyd I really think there probably is no one who can beat him. He's going to retire undefeated and it's going to drive everyone nuts.

You are spot on.  I don't see anyone at that level.  Showtime is clearly trying to throw Danny Garcia to the wolves already.  The Boxing Cold War prevents any of the other good fighters at or near his weight from fighting him.

The Boxing Cold War prevents any of the other good fighters at or near his weight from fighting him.

Such as........

Because you can't mean someone like Mike Alvarado.

Martinez almost lost to Martin Murray and Golovkin isn't even on the radar. The Cold War isn't stopping any sellable fight other than Pacquiao.

I don't think those fights are necessarily "sellable", I just mentioned those fighters as being good fighters at or near Floyd's weight. 

Based on the post fight presser, they are REALLY trying to push Garcia as the next guy.  This is a big mistake I think.

Martinez almost lost to Martin Murray and Golovkin isn't even on the radar. The Cold War isn't stopping any sellable fight other than Pacquiao.

I don't think those fights are necessarily "sellable", I just mentioned those fighters as being good fighters at or near Floyd's weight.

Floyd is a welterweight who just fought at a catchweight. Those guys aren't welterweights.