DVDVR Message Board

Mayweather vs. Alvarez

goodhelmet

The guy pointing out all the celebrities in the crowd is doing it exactly how David Brent would:

"There's Denzel Washington...actor"

"Wayne gretzky...Hockey player...well he was"

"Michael Phelps...swimming"

"...And a rapper....didn't catch that blokes name...but black fella so..."

Not watching it, but this reads like Canelo doesn't even belong in the same ring.

The commentary team just said he was a year or so early for this fight and I agree with that sentiment. You can tell he's hella talented but he's not there yet. I was surprised when I read that he was fighting Money.

He didn't really take the crazy risk you need to in order to get Maywether off his balance. 

It's just that thing we've seen over and over again.  No amount of training or experience...no matter who you've been in the ring with or how much film you've watched or who you've sparred with...can prepare you the first time you're in the ring with him...for the physical sensation of trying to lay a glove on Floyd Mayweather for the first time and having him evaporate at the end of your punch or ride your glove like a surfer riding a fucking wave.

I mean, that has to be a bizarre feeling for someone who is in fact a great boxer and who has easily beaten up incredibly fast men. And those first four rounds or so you've got to be thinking "What the fuck is happening...I've done this before...I do it for like ten hours a day every day...It's not supposed to be this different."

Typical one sided boring Mayweather fight after the halfway point.  The right guy won, but at least Alvarez really tried to press him.  He basically gassed out after round 7.  I will always find Floyd's fights infuriatingly boring though.  Potshot, shoulder roll, potshot, hold. 

That CJ Ross card was baffling.