DVDVR Message Board

NJPW World Tag League 2017

Raziel

Full card up, so it looks like someone from CHAOS is getting the NEVER shot at WK, since I figure either Goto or Ishii will pin, or at least go balls out brawl with Suzuki to set that up.  

I'm guessing that the Elgin/Cobb/WM 8 man team is going to set up a WK match, or at least be really interesting considering Rowe's very loud and blatant "Fuck Mike Elgin"'s the past few nights.

I would rather see a fresh tag title match with LIJ, but Gedo seems to care about having all his belts defended on the biggest show of the year.  And if Sanada and Evil are tied up in the tag title match, it also puts Bushi in the position of not having a match outside of maybe a spot in the Rumble.  

Not that Bushi is the most important guy in the world, but he's been booked pretty respectfully this year, so I can't see him not having a good spot at WK.  Maybe Fale kills him dead, though, and that's the explanation for him not having a match.

But I think a big garbage match blowoff to the KES/GOD/WM feud, maybe a ladder match,  makes a lot of sense at WK based on the way they've booked those teams and the need to be respectful all all those guys, who Gedo clearly thinks well of, even if I'm kinda done with them.

4 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

Full card up, so it looks like someone from CHAOS is getting the NEVER shot at WK, since I figure either Goto or Ishii will pin, or at least go balls out brawl with Suzuki to set that up.

I feel like Goto, with Shibata in his corner—maybe even getting involved to counter Suzuki-gun interference—is the way they’ll go. 

• Like 1

I think... both? As in, you watch enough of a thing, and the narrative pattern becomes relatively clear. But it's a satisfying pattern for now, even if most of the Dome itself seems very predictable as well. (Like, Naito's winning, right? That's the story. But it's a story that needs that conclusion to really work. And then Okada not being on top totally disrupts the status quo, and hopefully next year is a bit wilder.)

-Kenny absolutely being the face against Jericho now--and BC not saving him (although I know there were narrative reasons for most)--feels like another step towards a schism. But then I've been typing that all year, so... Regardless, this angle helps the match, I think. Jericho can control, some brawling, a few big high spots, and Omega with a firey v-trigger comeback run is all better than a "top this, best-in-the-world" exhibition.

-Small thing, but I feel like Cody's doing a better job of seeming legitimately outclassed by his opponents, and that gap between his projection and reality is the space in which good heel character can grow. It really helps that Kota's perfectly suited to playing opposite that, a sorta quiet weirdo with an endlessly impressive arsenal and skillset.

• Like 2

agree x 3. normally i suck at guessing winners of the longer tournaments.

part of me thinks that Jericho might be in it for a little longer, maybe taking the Bullet Club while Omegabuxxx hive off as faces. i think at least Gedo is smart enough to realise that the storyline  just dropping dead after the match does nothing in the long run. think their match will be good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EVA said:

I love that Jericho isn't in Bullet Club but still figured out a way to get his own variant of the Bone Soldier shirt out of this deal anyway.  This man does not leave money on the table.

And his shirt will be at Hot Topic soon.

I was just at my mall for the first time in forever for family pictures. I hate the mall. I don't know why I liked it as a teenager. Walked past Hot Topic and thought about going in to get a Bullet Club shirt, saw all the same garbage that was there 15 years ago or whatever, and then just kept on walking.

There are a dozen wild fantasy booking scenarios I’d love to indulge, but I think WWE would see any use of Omega as helping him and New Japan disproportionately. (But yeah, it would be cool as hell. There’s something to be said for staid, steady booking, but a good surprise is pretty fucking good.)

1 minute ago, Beech27 said:

There are a dozen wild fantasy booking scenarios I’d love to indulge, but I think WWE would see any use of Omega as helping him and New Japan disproportionately. 

Who says he has to run it past the WWE, he asked innocently?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cubbymark said:

As someone who isn't a fan of Omega, I may have marked out a little too much for Jericho's beatdown. But you gotta hand it Chris, he keeps reinventing himself.

It really is amazing. That kid from Smokey Mountain, the early Japan stuff, white meat babyface in ECW and when he first got to WCW. The all-time great brat heel run, the repeated complete character changes without ever losing a sense of continuity in WWF/E. And now here we go with another new Jericho.

Plus that beatdown was awesome.

• Like 1