Guerillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa) - 10 - Block B Winner

Killer Elite Squad (Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr) - 10

War Machine (Hanson & Raymond Rowe) - 10

Tomohiro Ishii & Toro Yano - 8

Trent Berreta & Chuckie T - 8

Michael Elgin & Jeff Cobb - 8

Togi Makabe & Henare - 2

David Finlay & Katsuya Kitamura - 0

World Tag League Final: Fukuoka Convention Center, Fukuoka Japan.

MAIN EVENT: 2017 World Tag League Final Match

Los Ingobernables de Japon (EVIL & SANADA) (Block A Winners) vs. Guerillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa) (Bullet Club) (Block B Winners) - (EVIL - Everything is Evil > Pin - Tama Tonga)

SEMI-FINAL:

CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada & Will Ospreay) vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon (Tetsuya Naito & Hiromu Takahashi) - (Takahashi - Time Bomb > Pin - Ospreay)

Roppongi 3K (Rocky Romero, Sho & Yoh) (CHAOS) vs. The Elite (Kenny Omega, Nick Jackson & Matt Jackson) (Bullet Club) - (Omega - One Winged Angel > Pin - Romero)

Kota Ibushi & KUSHIDA vs. Bullet Club (Cody Rhodes & Marty Scrull) - (Scrull - Small Package - KUSHIDA)

CHAOS (Hirooki Goto, Tomohiro Ishii, Toru Yano & YOSHI-HASHI) vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki, El Depserado, Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr.) - (Goto - GTR > Pin - Desperado)

Best Friends (Trent Beretta & Chuckie T) (CHAOS) vs. Juice Robinson & Sami Callihan - (Baretta - Strong Zero > Pin - Callihan)

Bad Luck Fale (Bullet Club) vs. BUSHI (Los Ingobernables de Japon) - DQ via Low Blow

Michael Elgin, Jeff Cobb & War Machine (Hanson & Raymond Rowe) vs. Bullet Club (Hangman Page, Yujiro Takahashi, Chase Owens & Leo Tonga) - (Rowe - Fallout > Pin - Tonga)

Togi Makabe, David Finlay, Henare, Hirai Kawato & Katsuya Kitamura vs. Satoshi Kojima, Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Yuji Natata, Manubu Nakinishi & Jushin "Thunder' Liger. (Kojima - Lariat > Pin - Kawato)

*FINAL

Much more of an open feel without all the WK headliners in but that is counteracted by it feeling completely second-rate. My guess is an EVIL/SANADA vs. KES final though I think for a better match I'd go EVIL/SANADA vs. Cobb/Elgin or War Machine - there's no point telegraphing the WK result by having KES lose in a final, and you could actually generate some steam by having some booking options rather than closing it down in a predictable fashion. Feel like I say the same thing every year though and this year doesn't really even have the WTF factor of Billy Gunn working it. Could have gotten an All Japan team in, could have gotten some Mexicans in, but no, gotta have Nagata/Nakanishi and Makabe teaming with a barely-recovered Henare. Sigh. Worst part of the New Japan year for me.

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I bet lowest points on the block go to MiSu/Iizuka because Iizuka is gonna fuck up every match he's in

Ishii/Yano is an interesting pairing. Where's Ishii been at recently, anyway? 

Ishii's been kicking ass all year in singles. He's part of CHAOS with Yano so it isn't such an odd pairing... they're like the Brainbusters of the faction to Okada's Flair.

Ishii has had a great year.  Strong showings in the US title tournament and the G1. Also just had a high profile match challenging Naito for the WK shot, even though the outcome was 100000% predictable.

I hope he doesn't get left out of a big singles match at WK (which pretty much just means the NEVER title, at this point), because he's earned a featured spot.

Ishii's the best bride's maid in wrestling, which is awesome--and still weird as hell, considering where he started--if perhaps a bit disappointing if you're a fan who really wants to see him... "do" things. Because his higher profile angles and matches are pretty much always about the other guy. So if a satisfying narrative needs progress, change, etc., then Ishii of recent vintage could seem a little stagnant, or maybe even a little invisible when he's not serving as a foil for whomever needs putting over, but that's just the nature of his spot. (And the nature of New Japan's rather strictly tiered booking.)

7 hours ago, sevendaughters said:

Ishii v Keith Lee from Rev Pro last week is definitely worth a look if you're into that sort of thing.

Uh, YEAH. You had me at "Ishii" and putting "Keith Lee" after that sealed it like it was welded. If that ever shows up in full post it because watching just clips are gonna tear me apart. 

-There were two nearly inseparable friends I knew in high school: one was very much a jam-band bro, the other a Juggalo. So I guess what I’m saying is Death Juice makes all the sense in the world to me. A tiny bit surprised they won, but Juice is over enough to make it feel immediately appropriate.

-Goto getting the clean fall over MiSu means he’s challenging for the NEVER title at the Dome, doesn’t it? Put Shibata in his corner—and let him cut off some interference with just one kick—and you’ve got a nice moment, I suppose.

-Chaos approved!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It took exactly one suplex party for Jeff Cobb to get over with Korakuen.  

I'm glad Chuck is making friends in the back, because he looked totally out of place in his debut match and none of the Best Friends stuff got over in the ring at all.

God, that was insane, wasn’t it? Getting a chant with less than one minute of ring action. And it wasn’t just the suplexes. Dude got to no-sell a couple Ishii forearms, then drop him with one. I can’t remember the last time Ishii did that for someone.

Forget where I read it, but someone said Cobb looks like Toru Yano if he was designed by Jack Kirby and now I can't unsee that shit.

Gotta love Kitamura selling the Awful Waffle like pure black death. That was great. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3