DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

The weekend movie club I'm a part of is coming up, so I asked for any suggestions.  One of the pals asked for "Maniac."  I know he meant 1980's film, but, damn dude, you've watched it countless times and have your own copy.

So, I'm making a "Maniac" theme.  "Maniac" (1934), "Neon Maniacs," and either "Maniac Cop" 1 or 2.  Probably 2.

• Like 1

I've been wanting to buy a set of Marilyn Monroe movies for a long time, but kept thinking someone would put together some nice editions. One of the brightest stars in American history, you'd think they'd put a out something a little more exciting than just a cardboard box and some discs. Will totally get Some Like It Hot when it comes out.

Magnificent Ambersons is an obvious must own.

In EQUALLY important news: MVD REWIND announced DOUBLE FUCKING DRAGONS ON BLU RAY

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=23790

• Like 1

So I hit that sale up. Got 6 for 66. Hail satan.

Hitchcock's The Wrong Man

The Demon Seed(in which a robot tries to impregnate Julie Christie)

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolfe?

Auntie Mame(I've never seen it, but I watched the trailer and I like that vibe.)

Out of the Past (Jacques Tourneur directed Robert Mitchum vehicle - all about that idea)

Wait Until Dark (a classic. I don't have enough Audrey Hepburn in my collection.)

• Like 2

Man do I love Wait Until Dark. Harry Roat from Scarsdale remains one of the greatest villains of all time. It would be great to see in the cinema again as long as they kept the original gimmick of turning out all the lights in the theater at the end, especially at the Art out here which doesn't have those lights in the floor like modern theaters.

• Like 3

That sounds awesome. 

Deep Discount with the buy 3+ get an extra 15% off sale. I was hoping for that to hit this past weekend. May end up blowing all my fun money on blurays now. DAMMMMNNNNN IT.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like each passing release month from Criterion starts to remind me that my movie tastes really are buttcheeks, because I've been so disinterested in large parts for the past several new discs.

I'll get the Stanwyck/Fuller film for sure. But, as I've mentioned before, Criterion hasn't put out a much lately that's made me count down the days for a sale. 

I know for me, I'm way more interested in the other specialty labels. Arrow coming to the states for sure has taken up a large amount of my bluray allowance. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Took advantage of the Deep Discount 15% off entire order sale so I could stock up for October. 

First off got What Have You Done to Your Daughters? which is the thematic follow up What Have You Done To Solange? which is maybe my favorite giallo. This one is supposed to be a more poliziotteschi hybrid, but I'm cool with that. Apparently Farley Granger is in it. Weird.

Then I got Return of the Living Dead. I'm hoping Scream Factory does a sale in October so I can get Part 2 for slightly cheaper than what it is right now. 

After that is my first Vestron: the Warlock collection. This has all three movies but I pretty much only got it for the first one. the first Warlock is FUCKING awesome. It's such a tight, exciting movie. Julian Sands is a great villain, surprised they haven't cast him up for one of the million superhero flicks. I love the weird witch science to hunting him. It's fucking awesome and I recommend it to anyone if they're looking for something to watch this Halloween.

And lastly the new(only, surely?) bluray of POPCORN. I watched this dozens of times as a kid. And as a collector I've become more interested in grabbing all the silly shit I used to obsess over at the video store.

• Like 2

I went in on a pair of Criterions (45% off anyway + 15% off = better than Barnes & Noble): Elevator to the Gallows and Samurai Spy.

I was extremely disappointed that I've only just learned of Le Cercle Rouge (Gian Maria Volonte!), to find out that it's out of print.  Feck.

• Like 1

I just got an alert that a package arrived at Casa de Natedogg.  And in this package may just very well be, in addition to Arrow's Blu of Landis' "Schlock" ....

NINJA ZOMBIE!

A couple of links for your perusal:

http://bleedingskull.com/ninja-zombie-is-coming-soon/ (includes a trailer of sorts, since this 1992 film has never been released until now)

https://ninjasallthewaydown.wordpress.com/2016/03/26/ninja-zombie-1993/ (the review that sold this film to me)

Be jelly, haters.

• Like 2

Ronin Flix put up the second edition of Giallo In Venice up the other night for those who are interested. The first edition sold out pretty quickly so no telling what this one will do. I grabbed a copy as a blind buy. It's got a reputation as a pretty graphic giallo, both in gore and sexual content. I figure if it isn't my cup of tea it should hold its resale value.

Severin Films is putting out a limited edition box set for The Blood Island collection.  Limited to something like 3500, it includes Terror is a Man, Brides of Blood, Mad Doctor of Blood Island, and Beast of Blood.  I only really want Beast of Blood, but - while all the other films are also being released separately - it's only available exclusively with this box set.

Fucking sucks, but I'm a sucker so I'll probably order it.

Due October 30th.

Hey, I've got a DVD of Beast of Blood if you wanna snag it instead. I think it's a boot but isn't too bad (as I recall -- I never got through the whole thing. In fact I don't think I got through half an hour of it). 

Speaking of Severin they did a CRAZY deluxe set for Anthropophagus (AKA The Grim Reaper) that actually came with a plush doll of George Eastman that has detachable guts! 

EDIT: It's actually a legit release from Alpha New Cinema that has bonus features (an interview with Celeste Yarnall, commentary by Sam Sherman, trailers). 

• Like 1