DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

15 hours ago, Control said:

Can we not embed tweets anymore?

Anyway, Dawn of the Discs is claiming that Johnnie To’s THE HEROIC TRIO is coming from Criterion.

I saw this on my FB feed (from City On Fire, a film site I HIGHLY RECOMMEND)  and then some commenters trying to crap on the news, saying they won't believe it until Criterion puts out a statement.  Social media is the dirt worst.

• Like 1

I've always felt Phenomena is unfairly dismissed. It is gorgeous, totally bizarre, has some genuine suspense, Donald Pleasance and a young Jennifer Connelly are fine in it, and a fantastic soundtrack as always -- including "Flash of the Blade" by Iron Maiden which is pretty cool to just play out of nowhere. 

It also has this killer poster that I have a mini version of that came with the DVD (a split Inferno/Phenomena release) which is framed along five other of those insert cards on my wall: 

Phenomena (film) - Wikipedia

• Like 2

I think Phenomena’s rep was hurt by the chop job US release cut, Creepers. There’s probably a significant number of people who only saw it missing 1/4 of the full film and with a lot of rotten score and soundtrack alterations. 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 12:34 PM, Control said:

I just love how Jennifer Connelly can control insects and it’s almost completely irrelevant to the plot.

Any movie that can somewhat accurately be described as having a Deus ex Monkena will always be loved by those with a heart.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

John Waters is a real blind spot for me.

I’m actually not a big fan of SHAFT (I know, I know, but I think Pam Grier’s contemporaneous films are much better), but the great cover has me considering the purchase anyway.

• Like 1

I would suggest watching Pink Flamingos, Serial Mom, and A Dirty Shame. In that order. Then go back and watch Hairspray, Cry Baby, and Polyester. In that order. THEN go and watch Cecil B. Demented and everything else. 

...I still haven't seen Desperate Living so that's my blind spot

• Thanks 1

Used the Criterion sale to upgrade my copy of The Piano, which I really need to rewatch sooner rather than later.  Also grabbed the 4K Kane, and DAMN is that a beefy piece of work.  It's pretty darn nice as far as their offerings go, arguably would have been worth full price, though I can't remember the last time I actually paid full price for a video game, movie, or album (actually I do; it was Fallout 4 plus the Season Pass - that explains much). 

• Like 1

If we're talking Stallone, COBRA just got a nice Shout Factory release 2-3 years ago that is currently on sale at Amazon for 13 bucks. https://www.amazon.com/Cobra-Collectors-Blu-ray-Sylvester-Stallone/dp/B07J33Q4D8/

Could be something left on their MGM deal, which I think they're still doing... can't remember if the Amazon purchase has affected that or not.

Alllllllllso I decided to get in the Shout Select sale. Picked up:

The Burbs

Matinee

Wildcats

Used Cars

Nothing but Trouble

Suburbia

Valley Girl

I haven't watched Nothing But Trouble, in years, but I used to rent the VHS and just run it over and over when I was a kid. Such a weird movie that I know lots of people hated.

• Like 1

Dude I LOVE Nothing But Trouble. The only copy of Starlog I bought as a kid went into detail about Valkenvania, as it was then called, so of course I had to see it. It's brilliantly bent. Chevy Chase and Demi Moore probably hate it worse than anything but who cares. 

Also, I am definitely picking up that Cobra BluRay. Shame that Sly doesn't have an interview on it but I'm sure the rest of them talk about him a lot. 

On 3/21/2022 at 8:09 PM, jaedmc said:

If we're talking Stallone, COBRA just got a nice Shout Factory release 2-3 years ago that is currently on sale at Amazon for 13 bucks. https://www.amazon.com/Cobra-Collectors-Blu-ray-Sylvester-Stallone/dp/B07J33Q4D8/

Yes but that doesn't have the uncut version. VS is teasing a release with an uncut version. Maybe it's not but it'd be cool. The Shout release is good but I would upgrade for sure.