DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

The market size has certainly shrunk and yet there are soooo many niche titles and classics being released and getting big restorations, that it doesn't seem likely to go away. Netflix not releasing on physical media is no blow to me. It's just their originals, and if you like their originals you probably already have a sub. And if you don't.... I can't think of many movies I'd want to own that are original to netflix. The new Jack Black polka king movie and The Meyerowitz Stories are worth getting, and I wouldn't mind the Chappelle specials. But there's nothing there that I'm so gaga over that it keeps me subscribed. No one is producing original content that feels vital in a way that makes you want to keep it. Most stuff content on Amazon/Netflix/Hulu feels kind of disposable. Like you watch or binge it once and then it's over. Honestly I've been thinking about letting my sub go and only picking it up when Stranger Things comes back, watching that, and then letting it go again the following month.

Vinyl coming back and having a small market of value shows that bluray/dvd collecting won't go so far away that it'll die. Maybe at some point we're not getting crazy Seijun Suzuki box sets like we're getting now so often, but it'll last. Some how Scream Factory exists selling sets of Power Rangers and old 80's horror. Arrow expanded their market share from just UK to including the US just last year. So for the freak collector, it honestly feels like an amazing time to be a collector. So many hard to find movies getting new life. It's awesome.

• Like 1

As long as WB keeps doing their on demand thing and Criterion keeps being Criterion, it’s all mostly good. 

With Netflix, I use my “please come back, here’s a free month” coupon, watch everything I want to watch, cancel and then wait for the next coupon in six months or whatever. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Shout Factory is putting a new edition of Buckaroo Banzai in May.

Bonus Features

Disc 1 (Blu-ray)

• "Into The 8th Dimension" – A Two-Hour Retrospective Documentary Including Interviews With The Cast And Crew
  • Audio Commentary With Michael And Denise Okuda
  • Audio Commentary With Director W.D. Richter And Writer Earl Mac Rauch

Disc 2 (DVD)

• "Buckaroo Banzai Declassified" Featurette
  • Alternate Opening Sequence (With Jamie Lee Curtis)
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Jet Car Trailer
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Like 1

I misplaced a Blu Ray player, so I went to Wal-Mart, bastion of retail in bum fuck SC.  All they had were those 4k upgrade players. Fuck thatg noise.

On a related note, does anyone know if Shout Factory has a system where I can buy replacement discs from sets?  Disc one of season one of "Many Loves of Dobie Gillis" was in that player.

• 1 month later...

Just went nuts on Amazon. It's been a while so I feel like I earned it

Treasure of the Sierra Madre - went too long with out this. Great performances, great movie.

Grand Hotel - I love films that take place in confined spaces. Whether that's a train, a small room or in this instance - A Grand Hotel. It's one of the great old school Hollywood ensemble pieces. Garbo is deliciously melodramatic. Wllace Beery and Joan Crawford are great together, and you get TWO BARRYMORES FOR THE PRICE OF ONE.

Bram Stoker's Dracula - I got the recent bluray release for under 10 bucks. I've never owned it, but I genuinely love the movie. I was just thinking yesterday that I don't own any of the Godfather films, and if I had to watch a Coppola film I'd choose The Conversation or Dracula first. 

Suspiria -Finally picked up because they just released a new two disc version that wasn't an arm and a leg.

The Crow - I watched this movie so much back in the 90's on VHS that I never bought a DVD upgrade. Saw the bluray was under 6 bucks so picked it up.

Little Ceasar - Edward mother Fucking G. It's been sitting on my wishlist forever and I saw it was 7.50 last night so took care of that.

Boiling Point - I couldn't get a haul without something Japanese. They released Violent Cop and Boiling Point on new blus last year and have been meaning to pick them up. So I grabbed this one.

• Like 1

The packaging on the DVD I have of Dracula is really, really cool. Then you take it out of the sleeve, flip it over and see Bat Dracula's face huge as fuck and are like "WHOA!" It's like if they put the Pazuzu face from The Exorcist on the inside back of that DVD, super creepy. They used the same photo for a cover issue of Fangoria so I was used to it but it's way creepier than even seeing Bat Dracula in the movie. 

I have no idea why I don't own The Crow. I own like five Dave Schow books now and don't have his major screenplay work? 

On 4/11/2018 at 11:59 AM, jaedmc said:

Just went nuts on Amazon. It's been a while so I feel like I earned it

Treasure of the Sierra Madre - went too long with out this. Great performances, great movie.

Grand Hotel - I love films that take place in confined spaces. Whether that's a train, a small room or in this instance - A Grand Hotel. It's one of the great old school Hollywood ensemble pieces. Garbo is deliciously melodramatic. Wllace Beery and Joan Crawford are great together, and you get TWO BARRYMORES FOR THE PRICE OF ONE.

Bram Stoker's Dracula - I got the recent bluray release for under 10 bucks. I've never owned it, but I genuinely love the movie. I was just thinking yesterday that I don't own any of the Godfather films, and if I had to watch a Coppola film I'd choose The Conversation or Dracula first. 

Suspiria -Finally picked up because they just released a new two disc version that wasn't an arm and a leg.

The Crow - I watched this movie so much back in the 90's on VHS that I never bought a DVD upgrade. Saw the bluray was under 6 bucks so picked it up.

Little Ceasar - Edward mother Fucking G. It's been sitting on my wishlist forever and I saw it was 7.50 last night so took care of that.

Boiling Point - I couldn't get a haul without something Japanese. They released Violent Cop and Boiling Point on new blus last year and have been meaning to pick them up. So I grabbed this one.

Weird, because I just recently ordered the Crow too.

One thing that I've found difficult to acquire .... adequate shelving.  I'm going to have to bite the bullet and make my own.  Or commission one.

Picked up Criterions of Silence Of The Lambs and Night Of The Living Dead, and a Blu-ray version of Major Dundee(actually it's the Italian version called Sierra Charibba) because of my soft spot for anything Peckinpah.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Making my own shelving was super cheap and super easy. Highly recommend it if you have the time/tools. 

Do you have any suggestions for resources (mainly blueprints)?  I mean, if you have time.  I'm becoming more and more apt to just do this myself, as the years have gone by.

Depends on what you want to do. I made this shelf with planks from Home Depot. I didn't use any screws or electric devices, but you could and make it a hell of a lot quicker and faster. It's joined together via mortise and tenon.So the three vertical boards have basically pegs cut out on their ends.Those pegs go snuggly into holes cut on the top and bottom horizontal boards. Then I chiseled out dados to slide the shelves in. You could skip this and make your life easier by just screwing the shelves in putting in shelf tabs.Then I stained it so it would have this gray drift wood look.I did this because I wanted to build matching furniture for our living/dining room. So while I love it, I also recognize this is not the most cost or time efficient for most people.

DBkNOZ1VYAATcQ8.jpg

An even CHEAPER solution that can yield great results is what this guy did:

He's not the only one to do this, and I've seen many variations of this style on youtube. 

All you need is the 2x4s cut to your desired height. Use some L Brackets and attach them your chosen wall. Then get some 1 inch strips to hammer on to the 2x4s. DVDs don't fall through the gap because they rest against the back wall.

You can stain/paint it to match your room any way you want. I didn't do this because my wife wanted me to take up our entire living room wall with a shelf. She's always right.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I went to one of the local record stores being a buzzard looking for leftover RSD picks (I am definitely not the guy waiting on the chow line to plunk down my dollars for that shit) and found DVD copies of The Beyond, which I have only had bootleg copies of, and Eastern Promises. The Townes Van Zandt album I wanted to buy had to go back in its hole because I don't feel like wanting to stick a gun in my mouth tonight. Watching a zombie child have its dome destroyed by a pistol will be far more rewarding. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on your love of niche labels, CR5218 gets you 30% off all Code Red titles at Screen Archives.  I've gotten Code Red releases for Shakma (which seems ideal for @piranesi to review), Nail Gun Massacre, Cut-Throats 9, Moonshine County Express (John Saxon!), Hands of Steel (John Saxon!), Dead Pit, and Beyond the Door.  I didn't see Black Gestapo, which is unfortunate.

Shipping kinda sucks, but again, niche releases.  Sale ends May 9th.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm crossposting to the Grindhouse and Collectors threads:

Vinegar Syndrome is having a "Halfway to Black Friday" Memorial Day sale, 50% off everything (except the most recent releases).  They've got a remarkable amount of exploitation available.

Sale ends Monday, I think. Maybe Tuesday.  Starts tomorrow.

Severin is producing a big time blue for The Changeling. I figured that movie would get a bluray release but I can't believe Severin is the one doing it. Will totally get it, great film: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=23379

Also Arrow announced some upcoming stuff, which includes Gilliam's Tideland: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=23385 

The big one for me in that list is "What Have They Done To Your Daughters?" It's a psuedo-sequel to "What Have you Done To Solange?" which is one of my favorite Giallo's ever. Will probably get Street Mobster to bolster my Japanese film collection.

On 4/23/2018 at 3:02 PM, nate said:

I have gained approval to do a DVD shelving system like the one @jaedmc showed me.

It's. Fuckin. ON.

Awesome, would love updates on how it goes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaedmc said:

Awesome, would love updates on how it goes.

Well, I got all the materials.  I'm in the process of measuring, sanding and varnishing.  Work and the 9 yr old have been vying for my time, so it's been a weekend-by-weekend thing.