DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

3 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

One day we'll be back on CRTs with our VCRs and region-free DVD players.

I still own a VCR. It works. I've still got an old cathode ray telly as well. TVs used to weigh quite a lot back then, when big tellys had caught on but flatscreens hadn't.

Still got plenty of VHS over here too. Of course I can't use my player, but. Cassettes too (and vinyl, duh)

Now if I couldn't use the literal thousands of CDRs I have there will be a problem, and you'll be reading about it in the paper when it happens... in the local crime section, because I will officially lose my shit.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Has anyone else noticed the worrying trend on Amazon of only selling certain DVDs to Prime members? Tried to order Hostiles and I, Tonya this weekend and wasn't allowed ?

It's one way to lose custom I guess...

On 10/8/2018 at 10:08 PM, jaedmc said:

Is the sequel any good? Loved the first one.

It fell really flat IMO. Big fan of Taylor Sheridan but this is the first film he's done which I didn't love. It's worth a watch but pales in comparison

I thought it was only the sale price that went to prime members, I didn't know you couldn't get the dvd at all. I have prime and I got really frustrated once when I tried to buy a bluray that was super cheap and they told me I could only get it for that price as an "add-on". Like I had to buy more to get it for 8 bucks otherwise I could buy just it for 20. 

Since this thread is where we've been lamenting Filmstruck, everyone should be aware that Fandor (another art/indie/international) streaming service that is really good (if not a real replacement for Filmstruck) is offering a great deal right now. They say it's "for Filmstruck subscribers" but I don't think they actually bother confirming that.

For a year of the service the sale price is $24.99.   $2/month for a huge collection of obscure art movies is pretty great. Lots of good docs. and world cinema. Not a lot of classics.

This article will take you to the right place.

https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/fandor-filmstruck-discounted-subscription-1203015530/

I think I have all the Criterion's I'm interested in owning, but while reviewing the in-print releases, I was wondering, what are the shittiest* movies in the Collection? 

As far as qualifying that question, I don't know if I'm looking at overall reviled film, or if I'm looking for the worst movie relative to the rest of their releases.

*In before someone says "Salo".

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, nate said:

I think I have all the Criterion's I'm interested in owning, but while reviewing the in-print releases, I was wondering, what are the shittiest* movies in the Collection? 

As far as qualifying that question, I don't know if I'm looking at overall reviled film, or if I'm looking for the worst movie relative to the rest of their releases.

*In before someone says "Salo".

The easy answer is Armageddon. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Remember me saying I ordered from Kino Lorber, oh, seven months ago or so? How cool is it that for the holidays they end up sending me a freakin' 111 page, glossy, full-color CATALOG in the mail? Who does that anymore? Anyway, just for that a couple things might be going on my Xmas list... and one if them might just be a BluRay player.

• Like 1

Kino Lorber is such a good company.  Their choice of releases are full of some really good stuff.  I keep pestering the fuck out of them on Facebook about getting the rights to "Ghost in the Invisible Bikini" and instead of blocking me or whatever, they kindly pat me on my head and say "we'll see", AND ONE DAY THEY'LL DO IT DAMMIT.

... they will ...