DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Marriage Story has to be the first Netflix movie to become Criterion right?

Roma. 

Marriage Story is the first of a four picture package Netflix licensed to Criterion after Roma. The other three are The Irishman, American Factory and Atlantics.

Twilight Time is doing a major sale, half-off on most titles.

From reading the blu-ray.com message boards, this is apparently an unofficial liquidation sale, as the company has been struggling since their original owner died over a year ago, and the guy currently running the company says they have no new releases planned going forward.

1 hour ago, Southside Jim said:

Twilight Time is doing a major sale, half-off on most titles.

From reading the blu-ray.com message boards, this is apparently an unofficial liquidation sale, as the company has been struggling since their original owner died over a year ago, and the guy currently running the company says they have no new releases planned going forward.

Thanks for the heads up. They have a few old Jackie Chan movies. A Sam fuller. And a couple of giallo that no one else has put out.  

On 4/23/2020 at 2:56 AM, Southside Jim said:

MVD Entertainment is doing a "Midnight Movie" sale.  Looks like lots of Grade-Z crap like Santa Claus: Serial RapistShark Exorcist, ....and Kevin Smith's Yoga Hosers.

https://mvdshop.com/collections/midnight-movie-society-spring-2020-sale

There's a few good things buried in there. Bird with the Crystal Plumage for $8. Blood & Black Lace on Bl for $5!!  But much of the stuff is soul-deadening and there's a lot to look through.  To make it worse a lot of this straight to dvd junk has amazing 70s or 80s looking cover art. The slugs are getting smart.

Here's some of what i found that looked good (keeping in mind my odd standards) and at a good price if you want to cut through the bullshit:

Blood and Black Lace

Bird with the Crystal Plumage

Black Shampoo
Twilight People
Funeral Home
Night Visitor
The Aftermath

Sisters of Death/Scream Bloody Murder
The Unnamable
Nightwish

The Leg Fighters

Mommy/Mommy 2 25th anniversary

Night of Bloody Horror

Satan's Cheerleaders

Even the Wind is Afraid

The Skeleton of Mrs. Morales

What the Peeper saw

and if you want to watch Vanity make out with a tropical sasquatch: Tanya's Island

Edited by piranesi
  • Like 2

Deep Discount has an Olive Films BOGO that expires ... Monday, I think?

And we're five(ish) weeks away from the flurry of Criterion/Arrow/Severin/Vinegar Syndrome sales.

31 minutes ago, nate said:

Deep Discount has an Olive Films BOGO that expires ... Monday, I think?

And we're five(ish) weeks away from the flurry of Criterion/Arrow/Severin/Vinegar Syndrome sales.

Really disappointed this seems to include the reg. QUIET MAN release but not the the SIGNATURE Quiet Man release.

12 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Really disappointed this seems to include the reg. QUIET MAN release but not the the SIGNATURE Quiet Man release.

I read on another forum that they are putting fewer Signature series in these sales.  I'm actually starting to wonder about Olive since their releases seem to be slowing down.

On 4/23/2020 at 2:56 AM, Southside Jim said:

MVD Entertainment is doing a "Midnight Movie" sale.  Looks like lots of Grade-Z crap like Santa Claus: Serial RapistShark Exorcist, ....and Kevin Smith's Yoga Hosers.

https://mvdshop.com/collections/midnight-movie-society-spring-2020-sale

They have the entire "Ultimate Death Match" trilogy, of which I ordered part II because I so vividly recalled seeing the trailer for it on YouTube many times.

Ricky Morton is in III, and I seem to recall that he was telling fans at the time that he was starring in a sequel to "The Wrestler."

Eta: I suddenly want a wrestling movie tournament.  

Edited by nate

On 4/24/2020 at 11:09 PM, jaedmc said:

Am I the only one on here who's stopped double dipping on Collector's Editions?

I was really disappointed with the Shout Factory version of Cobra.  It was the same transfer Warner Video used years ago, just with a new color timing that gave dark scenes a red tint instead of the ditector's intended blue tint.

Beyond that, the extras were pretty useless: the same director's commentary from the laserdisc and DVD releases, interviews with the co-stars who tried to hide how embarrassed they were to be in Cobra, etc.

I almost bought the Arrow release of RoboCop, but when I heard it used the same transfer as the MGM release, i decided to save my money.

Last title I double dipped on was Weird Science, because the original transfer was shit.

Edited by Southside Jim

13 hours ago, Southside Jim said:

Am I the only one on here who's stopped double dipping on Collector's Editions?

I was really disappointed with the Shout Factory version of Cobra.  It was the same transfer Warner Video used years ago, just with a new color timing that gave dark scenes a red tint instead of the ditector's intended blue tint.

Beyond that, the extras were pretty useless: the same director's commentary from the laserdisc and DVD releases, interviews with the co-stars who tried to hide how embarrassed they were to be in Cobra, etc.

I almost bought the Arrow release of RoboCop, but when I heard it used the same transfer as the MGM release, i decided to save my money.

Last title I double dipped on was Weird Science, because the original transfer was shit.

No, not at all.  It's rare nowadays for me to see a movie that I feel the need to double dip on.  There's a few occasions --

1) Original bonus content.

2) A significant upgrade in quality, like DVD to Blu.

3) I will replace the older versions of DVDs back when some were double-sided, if there's a single sided release.

Otherwise, it sometimes seems that "Collector's Edition" is simply code for "it's on Blu Ray now and that's good enough for you".