DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I've scored so I just went hard on the Arrow Easter sale. 

The Big Clock - a great Ray Milland/Charles Laughton noir

HOUSE Box Set. Because why get just one?

Maniac Cop - Which I get confused with Psycho Cop, but this is the one  with Tom Atkins and Bruce Campbell

One. Two. One. - a dvd of a Mania Akbari film. Haven't seen it yet, but she's an incredible artist.

Tout Va Bien - I have a lot of Goddard films but not this one. This is the one with Jane Fonda and a strike at Sausage Factory.

Pieces - Now that I'm getting more leeway from the family on horror films throughout the year I've gone crazy building that part of my collection up this is a must.

Sister Street Fighter - This goes with the Shout Factory Street Fighter set I got, and now I've fully upgraded my old DVD box set that had all of these films. I'm an addict.

Dekalog - I decided on this instead of the Criterion release. From what I understand this is a better release and one of the reasons why I got the new region free player.

Dead End Drive In- because I've never seen it and it takes place in one of my favorite places. The fucking Drive In

The Apartment - I've been trying to get this for forever, but the Twilight Time release went OOP and then so did the US Arrow release. Now it is mine.

Lots of shit coming down the pipe including RAD it Vinegar Syndrome. That'll be for the big big May sale. I'm probably saving up for that.

Severin has THE STRANGE VICE OF MRS. WARDH coming and a fucking package that includes a shirt. I feel like if I'm going to get it, I have to get the shirt. Anyway it stars EDWIGE FENECH who is awwwwesome.

Mill Creek is putting two more of the Andy Sidaris Savage Beach movies. They both of Buff Bagwell (In Day of the Warrior he basically dresses like Tatanka)and Julie Strain - so clearly must haves.

And Film Movement is putting out a box set of 4 Alastair Sim movies. https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=26650

So much shit. Gonna need a job soon.

• Like 3

On 4/9/2020 at 5:12 PM, jaedmc said:

It's been a while since I've scored so I just went hard on the Arrow Easter sale. 

The Big Clock - a great Ray Milland/Charles Laughton noir

HOUSE Box Set. Because why get just one?

Maniac Cop - Which I get confused with Psycho Cop, but this is the one  with Tom Atkins and Bruce Campbell

One. Two. One. - a dvd of a Mania Akbari film. Haven't seen it yet, but she's an incredible artist.

Tout Va Bien - I have a lot of Goddard films but not this one. This is the one with Jane Fonda and a strike at Sausage Factory.

Pieces - Now that I'm getting more leeway from the family on horror films throughout the year I've gone crazy building that part of my collection up this is a must.

Sister Street Fighter - This goes with the Shout Factory Street Fighter set I got, and now I've fully upgraded my old DVD box set that had all of these films. I'm an addict.

Dekalog - I decided on this instead of the Criterion release. From what I understand this is a better release and one of the reasons why I got the new region free player.

Dead End Drive In- because I've never seen it and it takes place in one of my favorite places. The fucking Drive In

The Apartment - I've been trying to get this for forever, but the Twilight Time release went OOP and then so did the US Arrow release. Now it is mine.

Lots of shit coming down the pipe including RAD it Vinegar Syndrome. That'll be for the big big May sale. I'm probably saving up for that.

Severin has THE STRANGE VICE OF MRS. WARDH coming and a fucking package that includes a shirt. I feel like if I'm going to get it, I have to get the shirt. Anyway it stars EDWIGE FENECH who is awwwwesome.

Mill Creek is putting two more of the Andy Sidaris Savage Beach movies. They both of Buff Bagwell (In Day of the Warrior he basically dresses like Tatanka)and Julie Strain - so clearly must haves.

And Film Movement is putting out a box set of 4 Alastair Sim movies. https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=26650

So much shit. Gonna need a job soon.

Sweet haul.

On 4/7/2020 at 2:44 PM, odessasteps said:

If you were a criterion charter subscriber, they emailed a $10 code for their store. 

Are you talking about the one months ago? Because if there's a new one, I didn't get it. ?

5 minutes ago, Control said:

@jaedmc what’s the model of region free blu ray player you’re using? I’m looking into going region free myself.

This lil dude: https://www.220-electronics.com/sony-bdp-s1700-region-free-blu-ray-dvd-player.html

If you buy it from that webpage you have to add 40 bucks to make it region free for bluray otherwise it's just region free for DVDs.

I bought it from the same companies Ebay page: https://www.ebay.com/itm/232556431648

And I didn't have to add the 40 bucks so 105 flat. Why that is...I don't know, but multiple people have done it on the blu-ray.com forums and it's the same item just cheaper. The ebay route doesn't get you a free HDMI cable so be prepared to get one of those if you don't already have 15 of 'em.

The player...feels cheap because it is. It's a tiny little sucker and the remote feels dinky. The user interface isn't super appealing either. So there's nothing slick or sexy about it aesthetically, but it does exactly what I want it to do which is play any disc I want. So I don't care that much.

• Thanks 1

I’ve wanted to see this film for a long time, so hopefully it gets a region 1 (or A?) release or I buy that cheap region free player.

https://arrowfilms.com/product-detail/the-mad-fox-blu-ray/FCD1996

7b16a40d-601f-43b7-90c1-5d1507b5305d.jpg

edit: I discovered Unobstructed View, which is a Canadian distributor for Arrow, but they don’t list the region for their blu rays...

Edited by Control

It struck me recently that Meiko is in at least four series--Lady Snowblood (2), Wandering Ginza Butterfly (2), Female Prisoner Scorpion (5), and Stray Cat Rock (5)--and yet I've only seen one of her films.

Anything y'all can tell me about this one:

760137334781.jpg