DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

16 hours ago, piranesi said:

Kino getting a jump on everyone with a Noir sale and a "going out of print" sale:

https://www.klstudioclassics.com/list/view/code/noirvember-2019

https://www.klstudioclassics.com/list/view/code/november-2019-sale

I'm probably holding of until one of Kino's mid-year "all titles" sales next year (there's a huge selection of new titles due out in 2020 that I have my eyes on), buuut I had to order "Report to the Commissioner" this go-around, since it's on the OOP block.

• 2 weeks later...

The first BF casualty goes to Best Buy.

Captain Marvel blu

Spider-man: FFH blu

Us blu

Aquaman blu

Batman: Hush blu

Batman: Gotham by Gaslight blu

Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles blu

John Wick 3 blu

$53 and change

Waiting for the Vinegar Syndrome sale. I already pre-ordered so I know I'm getting Tammy and the T-Rex and the Angel box set + the two big surprises.

Sifting through the blu-ray.com deals in the mean time might lead to some rando buys.

Sandlot and Valerian are only 4 bucks....5000 Fingers of Dr. T is under 8. May pull the trigger on those. Got a little left over birthday cash.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nate said:

Spookies, dude.

Motherfucking Spookies.

And, @piranesi... Vice Academy 1-3 set.

Quick pro tip.  Tell the kids that there just wasn't any money for presents this year and then tell them that some wonderful charity saved the day by donating a bunch of blu rays directly to us.  Then sit them down to watch Zombie 4 and remind them that this is a miracle and they need to be grateful or Fat holiday Red man will kill them in their sleep.

• Haha 2

I seriously saved my ass off from June for this Black Friday, and I'm glad I did.  Across Vinegar Syndrome, Severin, Warner Archive, Best Buy, a last-second Barnes & Noble Criterion scoop, Wal-Mart, plus a couple of random online label sellers, I ended up with 35 films on the way.

The breakdown:

Aquaman
Assignment Terror
Batman: Gotham by Gaslight
Batman: Hush
Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Being There
Blackenstein
Brightburn
Captain Marvel
Carny 
The Children
Cold Pursuit
Death by Love
Deathrow Gameshow
Dream Stalker
Happy Death Day 2U
In the Mood for Love
John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum
Justice League vs. The Fatal Five
Leviathan
Nightbeast
Once a Thief
The Outfit
Spider-Man: Far From Home
Spookies (slipcover #2)
The Suckling
Us
Vampire Cop
Vice Academy
Vice Academy Part 2
Vice Academy Part 3
Viva Knievel!
Viy
X-Men: Dark Phoenix

... and my Christmas review movie.

I think I'm done ....

This is the first time I've ever sprung for something from VS that was just released rather than waiting a year when you can find them for 1/2 off the slipcover price.

But they really need to be rewarded for Tammy & the T-Rex and Spookies. This was 100% a "keep doing this!" purchase.

Note: Yes, this is me trying to justify dropping $28 for a 2-disc special edition w/ newly commissioned artwork of...Spookies...when I still won't shell out for the Criterion Bergman box.

Edited by piranesi
  • Like 2

Any purchase of "Spookies" is justified, full stop.  If this thing isn't up for a Rondo award when those roll around, I can't even imagine what could top it (and that's just going by the review from Mondo Digital).

20 hours ago, piranesi said:

Note: Yes, this is me trying to justify dropping $28 for a 2-disc special edition w/ newly commissioned artwork of...Spookies...when I still won't shell out for the Criterion Bergman box.

• Like 1

I'm supposed to be having the steel book of that awesome new RoboCop Arrow Blu and a 15 disc, 28 film Abbott and Costello Shout Select box delivered today.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm supposed to be having the steel book of that awesome new RoboCop Arrow Blu and a 15 disc, 28 film Abbott and Costello Shout Select box delivered today.

I got the DVD A&C set.  It's easily one of the best purchases I made; such a good set, even the junk is fabulous.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, nate said:

I got the DVD A&C set.  It's easily one of the best purchases I made; such a good set, even the junk is fabulous.

The funny part though is I think I now literally have 8 different discs that have Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein on it.

4 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The funny part though is I think I now literally have 8 different discs that have Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein on it.

Me too.

"Have", as in present tense.  Can't don't want to get rid of them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2019 at 9:55 PM, Control said:

I had a $10 Gift certificate for Criterion for being an early subscriber to the channel, so I used that and the 50% sale to buy the essential Jacques Demy collection for about $60. Christmas shopping for the wife done in record time! 

This was a genius bit of planning on my part.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got ZERO movies for Christmas.

However...I did win Fantasy Football this year and got a little fun cash. Probably going to get my first all region player. So excited. the list of foreign discs I want is massive.

Happened by Half-Priced Books and got a new copy of Us for nine bucks. HAven't seen it, but I would have paid nine bucks to see it theaters if I had the time when it was released.

I also found HARD TICKET TO HAWAII so my sleaze collection is growing:

Image result for hard ticket to hawaii

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Did Cannon even have British distribution in the '80s? 

They did. Lifeforce was huge on video over here. Which I'm sure had nothing at all to do with the video cover:

Spoiler

lifeforce_poster_01.jpg

• Like 1