DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Blue Underground is coming out with a three disc, 4K restoration Blu Ray of The House by the Cemetery on January 21st. 

https://deadentertainment.com/2019/10/17/read-the-fine-print-on-blue-undergrounds-the-house-by-the-cemetery-4k-blu-ray/

Sadly two discs are just that little kid screaming and pounding on a door for six hours.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't sure where to put this.  Figured it was safe here.  During a recent deep dive into my movie hobby/habit, I think I may have discovered cinema's first reboot.

"The Magician" [Le magicien] (1898), d: Georges Méliès; a 1 min short of a magician conjuring objects from a plain wooden box.

"The Magician" (1900), d: Edwin S. Porter; a 1 min short of a magician performing assorted tricks of conjuring for the camera.

5 hours ago, nate said:

I wasn't sure where to put this.  Figured it was safe here.  During a recent deep dive into my movie hobby/habit, I think I may have discovered cinema's first reboot.

"The Magician" [Le magicien] (1898), d: Georges Méliès; a 1 min short of a magician conjuring objects from a plain wooden box.

"The Magician" (1900), d: Edwin S. Porter; a 1 min short of a magician performing assorted tricks of conjuring for the camera.

Georges Melies created the genres of cinema I enjoy most.

• Like 1

I'm getting a region-free blu player in the mail soon.

Where is a good place for good releases that aren't in the US?  I'm looking at Arrow, Eureka, and Umbrella*, but I'm also interested in getting my hands on some Japanese film and releases of stuff like "Spookies" or some such.

*These look like the overseas equivalent of Criterion, Shout/Scream Factory, and Kino Lorber for the most part, minus some national specific releases that I'm not entirely interested in.

My family got me the Godzilla Criterion set for my birthday. The book is HUGE. Like coffee table book in dimension.

But it's fucking beautiful. Can't wait to marathon these movies with my kids.

• Like 3

I would like to use this spot to keep an eye on Black Friday deals going around.

I know Vinegar Syndrome and Severin are doing 50% sales for that weekend.  I feel almost positive that Warner Archive will run a "4 for $44" sale.  I feel certain that Kino runs a site wide sale for BF too.

Barnes and Noble's Criterion sale (and maybe the Arrow one too) run until the first of December.

And I found this catch-all site that has Best Buy, Target, etc.: https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/black-friday-2019-store-ads-best-buy-target-sams-club-walmart-and-more/

I also check this thread out at DVDTalk: https://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bargains-74/

Hope this is helpful.

• Thanks 1

I don't know if anybody remembers this one, but Severin Films found the apparently lost negatives or whatever of the grisly '90s slasher Skinner (Ted Raimi, Tracy Lords, Ricki Lake; directed by Ivan Nagy of Heidi Fleiss notoriety) and put it out on BluRay. I too had forgot that film existed but definitely remember renting it on VHS. Nasty little piece of work. 

I saw that a little while back.  I'm debating adding it to the upcoming Black Friday half off thing Severin does, or waiting until their "Halfway to Black Friday" in June.  I've got Dream Stalker/Death by Love, Paganini Horror and Nightkiller down currently, but I want to add one more out of three other choices.

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I don't know if anybody remembers this one, but Severin Films found the apparently lost negatives or whatever of the grisly '90s slasher Skinner (Ted Raimi, Tracy Lords, Ricki Lake; directed by Ivan Nagy of Heidi Fleiss notoriety) and put it out on BluRay. I too had forgot that film existed but definitely remember renting it on VHS. Nasty little piece of work. 

I had only read reviews of it on The Unknown Movies Page, then never thought about it until the recent announcement of the Blu-Ray release.  About a month ago, it was added to Amazon Prime, which is cool because I wasn't going to use a blind buy on it. I've seen comparisons to Henry and Silence of the Lambs ("Buffalo Bill skins his fifth!") but Raimi is so weird and goofy as Dennis Skinner that it definitely veers into black comedy territory. This is also probably the most character work Traci Lords had to do as the one that got away. Half her character's body is scarred up and she has to stay doped up to deal with the agonizing pain while tracking down Skinner. It was fun as hell though.