DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

Okay, so my willpower held out long enough for the Kino Sale. Got....nine movies.

War Gods of the Deep - Unseen. Vincent Price has an underwater kingdom that includes an army of "Gil Men". Easy blind buy.

White Lightning - Unseen. After seeing Joe Bob Briggs' How Rednecks Saved Hollywood, I decided to start growing that part of my collection a little. Realized outside of Boogie Nights I have zero Burt Movies. Shameful.

Tales of Terror & Premature Burial - I LOVE the Corman-Poe Cycle, so I'm working on getting all those.

Let the Corpse Tan - Unseen. The directors made one of my faaaaavorite films The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears, so I'll buy whatever they make.

Le Doulos & Bob Le Flambeur - Like the Godzilla set, these two were on my list for a long time. I didn't discover them until just before or just after they went OOP on Criterion, so I'm really happy to finally get them

The Children's Hour - They took it about as far as they could go in the early 60's. I think Shirley Maclaine and Audrey Hepburn are great in this. I'm usually indifferent to James Garner, who usually plays the cool and unshakable, but he has a really nice scene of vulnerability that surprised me.

The Vikings - Unseen. One Eyed Viking Kirk Douglas vs. Bearded Tony Curtis with Janey Leigh and Ernest Borgnine. I'll probably watch this first.

• Like 2

I'm resisting the urge to spend $75 on Out 1 from Kino.

Because, you know, 13 hour long French art mostly improved movies about conspiracy theories and acting exercises...

Edited by Brian Fowler

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just ordered the Umbrella blu of "Man From Hong Kong."  I was excited that it was about the fairly low price (found it for lower later, but I'm on that Prime "next-day" shizzit), and it was all region (I need to get with the new millennium and get a region-free player, I know).

I wasn't prepared for the extras:

Deathcheaters (full feature)

Stunt Rock!!! (full feature)

Kung Fu Killers (full feature)

Danger Freaks (full feature)

I've been wanting a copy of "Stunt Rock" since seeing its trailer on the Drafthouse "Trailer War" disc.  Stoked.

• Like 1

I was at Half Price Books and ended up getting Lord of Salem steelbook bluray for 8 bucks. My other August buys included Happy Death Day and its sequel and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre steelbook which is only 14.99 on amazon.

Trying to decide what I'll do for my September allowance. Probably gearing up for October. When my show closes next month, I get paid, and I think I'll use the money to finally get that region free bluray player.

• Like 1

I picked up Gone In Sixty Seconds and the Criterion of Two Lane Blacktop last week. Last night I ordered a Peter Fonda double feature Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry and Race With The Devil. Saw both of those films at the drive-in when I was a kid.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, nate said:

I just ordered the Umbrella blu of "Man From Hong Kong."  I was excited that it was about the fairly low price (found it for lower later, but I'm on that Prime "next-day" shizzit), and it was all region (I need to get with the new millennium and get a region-free player, I know).

I wasn't prepared for the extras:

Deathcheaters (full feature)

Stunt Rock!!! (full feature)

Kung Fu Killers (full feature)

Danger Freaks (full feature)

I've been wanting a copy of "Stunt Rock" since seeing its trailer on the Drafthouse "Trailer War" disc.  Stoked.

Well there's $14 you just talked me out of .

• Haha 1

Since I bought that "Man from Hong Kong" Umbrella rrelease, Amazon wanted to alert me to other things I'd be interested in.

I was not aware that Umbrella had released what may be a region free (acc. to Amazon, Deep Discount, DVD Empire, but region 4 acc. to Umbrella's site) DVD of "Le Cercle Rouge", $12.99.  (Less than $10 before S&H at Deep Discount.)

No extras listed, but nothing short of a reprint of the Criterion release would do anyway, so I ordered it.  I'm curious if it is really region free.

4 hours ago, nate said:

Since I bought that "Man from Hong Kong" Umbrella rrelease, 

Brian Trenchard-Smith co-directed that. It's 100% on RT

He also directed TWO 0% Leprechaun movies. (Although I actually like 3 quite a bit.)

• Like 1

He directed Escape 2000/Turkey Shoot, Dead End Drive-In, and Night of the Demons 2! I'm kicking myself for not seeing Man from Hong Kong yet now. 

CONFRONT ME UNHOLY ONES 

BASTARD SAINTS SCORN OF THE EARTH

I SUMMON THEE NOW POISON ME

DEATH UNDER WILL BURN IN MY SOUL

If that doesn't forgive some Leprechaun sequels then nothing will

• Like 3