DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

And it's official

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/2648-godzilla-the-showa-era-films-1954-1975

They got the rights to the other 4 for this... But it appears only the U.S. cut of King Kong vs Godzilla. ? Means the Japanese still has never been officially released in America. 

Edit: or maybe I'm reading it wrong. It might be that KK v G has both cuts, and most of these only have the original Japanese. 

Edit edit: yup, I was reading it wrong, it has both cuts of Godzilla/Godzilla King of the Monsters! and King Kong vs Godzilla, and the official international English dubs of  another six of them. 8 discs, so presumably everything after the first one are going to be two to a disc.

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Thanks 1

I saw this on my FB feed, and I came directly here.  I'd have commented "OMG" or words to that effect if I'm not sitting on day 2 of a 3 day ban (told a guy who was being a straight-up asshole to me to "go fuck [him]self and he reported me).

• Like 1

I'm conflicted.  I have pretty much all of these already, so I'm not 100% sure about the double-dip.  It's the same conflict that's keeping me from getting the Criterion Lone Wolf & Cub set.

This may be one of the best years EVAR for me in terms of grail bluray releases. I mean a LOT of films that I was actively searching and pining for got releases this year. This Godzilla release was the dream set that I've been hoping to be revealed in every newsletter from Criterion for over two years.

And it's only July. Good time to be a collector.

• Like 3

On one hand, I own every one of them in at least one format.

On the other, there are the two I don't own physical, and three of the four I don't in the Japanese version.

And there's also the fact that roughly half the movies have never been released on Blu Ray in the US (Raids, Mothra vs, Ghidorah, Astro Monster, Son of, All Monsters Attack, vs Mechagodzilla, and Terror of Mechagodzilla)

If they are doing new transfers, then, in a way, none of them are double dipping except the original. ?

But, in all seriousness, I do already have Godzilla, Ebriah, Destroy All Monsters, Hedorah, Gigan, and Megalon on dual-language Blu, so those are pretty much double dipping for me. (I also have KK vs on Blu, but it's the American cut only)

This, for me, is a no brainier... But I think it's safe to say I'm one of the biggest Godzilla fans on this board.

• Thanks 1

Also, silly little fun side note:

Ebriah, Horror of the Deep (aka Godzilla vs the Sea Monster) and Godzilla vs Megalon will become the first two movies to ever be both featured on MST3K and released by Criterion.

• Like 1

Cant wait to hear Peter Bogdanovich discussing Jet Jaguar. 

"One night, Orson and I were discussing Jet Jaguar's size changing, but Dick Cavett only wanted to talk about Godzilla's dropkick."

Edited by odessasteps
  • Haha 3

Speaking of Jet Jaguar... Ultraman is getting a Blu-ray release for later this year, as well as Ultra Q. Last I saw, Amazon had each up for about $22 in the normal editions, as well as more expensive steel book versions.

57 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

jfkl;jfewkl;hngilek'nvimo;blrnmkl'; Fucking Revenge of the Ninja is out of stock. Goddammit. 

Ah well. What I want to know is what THIS film is all about: 

738329233082.jpg

It seems like one of those "exactly what it says on the tin" kinda films.  I might watch this one once in thru the Phantasm series (finish iv tonight).

I've seen it. It was a long time ago, and I don't remember it. But my Dad rented it from the video shop because he liked the title.

On 7/26/2019 at 5:14 PM, piranesi said:

The current Kino Lorber sale is dangerous. There's so much I want on there that isn't streaming anywhere. Must. Hold. Off. But...

COME ON!!!!!

MV5BZmM0OWRmZWMtYWQ1Zi00MDYzLWJkZmYtZTBi

Gotta love the tiny little "not to be confused with" before "King Kong" about 4 times the size.

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Gotta love the tiny little "not to be confused with" before "King Kong" about 4 times the size.

And "defy the JAWS of giant shark".

18 hours ago, nate said:

And "defy the JAWS of giant shark".

I love that it's not "the Giant Shark"...Like, his name is "Giant Shark" and the snakes name is "Monster Reptile". It's like WWE rebranding of guys names.

If you know the movie the absolute best part is that A*P*E* stands for Attacking Primate monstEr...which is 1000 times worse than SpECTRE.

Edited by piranesi
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, piranesi said:

I love that it's not "the Giant Shark"...Like, his name is "Giant Shark" and the snakes name is "Monster Reptile". It's like WWE rebranding of guys names.

If you know the movie the absolute best part is that A*P*E* stands for Attacking Primate monstEr...which is 1000 times worse than SpECTRE.

I feel obligated ...

?Gi-ant Shark, *doo doo, de doo de doo*/

Gi-ant Shark, *doo doo, de doo de doo*/

Giant Shark?

(I hate myself.)

Edited by nate

2 hours ago, nate said:

I feel obligated ...

?Gi-ant Shark, *doo doo, de doo de doo*/

Giant Shark?

(I hate myself.)

I just want to make sure that you are fully aware, before I deploy this, that you deserve it and accept your guilt.

Spoiler

SnapGalleries180311.jpg

Edited by piranesi
  • Haha 2