DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

Shout is putting out a complete series (including the remake) boxset of The Omen. Limited edition rolled lithograph for the first 666 orders from their website.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, twiztor said:

all the talk in this thread prompted me to buy Slaughterhouse with the Vinegar Syndrome slipcover. thanks, everybody...

Why have I never seen that movie?! I remember seeing the poster for it in a video store as a kid and freaking out. 

BTW, that is now already sold out

Got my possibly final B&N order in, after it took forever to get all the releases in stock at one time:

In a Lonely Place

Notorious

Scared Stiff

Solaris

Touch of Zen

• Like 1

On 6/29/2019 at 4:44 AM, Brian Fowler said:

I'm not sure how long the sale lasts, but if it is still going two weeks from now when I get paid again, I'm strongly considering the Bergmam box set.

Well, there goes about $165.

And I did it without Go Fund Me. Autumn Sonata and I will be quite happy.

• Like 1

Went to Half Priced Books with some old DVDs. Got 11 bucks for them. Also had a 50% off coupon. Ended up getting The Godfather Collection on blu and paid nothing for it. I've never been a big fan of The Godfather but here in the last few months I've had a stranger hankering for it. Almost got that Vestron Maximum Overdrive bluray instead. 

I also picked up Predator for 6 bucks because I don't have it and my wife said she wants to see it. We might end up watching it today which sounds like a good Sunday.

Not a bad trip.

• Like 1

Wallet not yet recovered from the Criterion and Arrow sale?  Well, the Warner Archive is running their "4 for $44" (really, "4+ for $11 each") sale until tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, Swiftian said:

Lots of rumours out there of a Godzilla box set being #1000

They apparently have the rights to like the first five movies (excluding King Kong vs. Godzilla).  I'd be really interested in a criterion just for the under appreciated second Godzilla movie "Godzilla Raids Again". 

On 7/18/2019 at 5:41 PM, odessasteps said:

New Criterion’s coming

Matewan !

when we were kings !!

spine #1000 announced next week 

I'm motivated to get the Haxan blu.  CHURN THAT BUTTER, SATAN!

• Like 1

They've got the rights to more than just five. They have at least this many for the last 2 years:

Godzilla (1954)
Godzilla Raids Again (1955)
Godzilla: King of the Monsters (1956)
Rodan (1956)
Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964)
Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster (1964)
Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965)
War of the Gargantuas (1966)
Son of Godzilla (1967)
Destroy All Monsters (1968)
All Monsters Attack (1969)
Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)
Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla (1974)
Terror of MechaGodzilla (1975)

1 hour ago, Swiftian said:

Lots of rumours out there of a Godzilla box set being #1000

Please lord be true. I've been patient.

• Like 1

It would seem odd since they already did Godzilla not that long ago. 

Given that #100 was the Beastie Boys video, im expecting  #1000 to be something non-traditional. 

Of course, part of me hopes it is finally Grand Budapest Hotel. 

• Like 2

Setting aside Rodan and War of the Gargantuans (which presumably came with the Classic Media Godzilla films) they have 11 of the 15 first series/Showa Era* films.

The aforementioned King Kong vs Godzilla is held (I believe in perpetuity) by Universal, while Ebriah, Horror of the Deep (aka Godzilla vs the Sea Monster), Godzilla vs Hedorah (aka Godzilla vs the Smog Monster) and Godzilla vs Gigan (aka Godzilla on Monster Island) are held by Kraken Releasing (a division of anime distributor Section 23)

There are some questions on Son of Godzilla and Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla. Both are on the Criterion Channel, but digital versions are still sold through Vudu/Amazon/etc with the the other films owned by Sony (everything from the 90's and 00's) so nobody seems quite sure if Sony still owns the DVD/Blu-ray rights or not (neither have been in print in the U.S. since the mid-00's, and copies sell for way too much)

They are also the only two Godzilla movies I don't have on disc, and two of the four I don't have in the original Japanese (along with KKvG and Godzilla vs Billoante) so I hope Criterion does put them out.

*U.S. fans tend to call it the Showa Era, but that is a bit of culture ignorance and/or indifference, given that The Return of Godzilla, the first movie of the second series, was released during the Showa Era, not the Heisei Era that it's always listed as part of. 

Also, if it is a Godzilla boxset, and it's out in October or November, and the B&N 50% sale is, per usual, back in November.... *Insert "shut up and take my money" meme here*

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

There are some questions on Son of Godzilla and Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla. Both are on the Criterion Channel, but digital versions are still sold through Vudu/Amazon/etc with the the other films owned by Sony (everything from the 90's and 00's) so nobody seems quite sure if Sony still owns the DVD/Blu-ray rights or not (neither have been in print in the U.S. since the mid-00's, and copies sell for way too much)

Those are on TV every year, so who are the ones parceling the rights out? 

I've always wondered why it's those two (and Terror of Mechagodzilla) that always air why I've NEVER seen King Kong vs. Godzilla or half the rest of them. This goes back to when TNT would show them when I was a kid.

Edited by Curt McGirt

Was surprised to see one of the local BN stores had closed. 

Many Criterions bought there. ? 

edit. It turns out they moved from one shopping center to another one a mile or so away. In fact, it might be in the same footprint where that local Borders used to be.

Edited by odessasteps

Target's website suddenly listed a Godzilla: The Showa Era body box set for $149.99

It doesn't mention Criterion in the listing, but...

It also vanished pretty much as soon as someone discovered it

Edited by Brian Fowler