DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

https://www.klstudioclassics.com/list/view/code/april-studio-classics-sale-2019

Kino Lorber is a decent studio.  I have this feeling a bigger sale is on the horizon; usually a lot of these boutique places have "halfway to Black Friday*" type sales in June, and I think Kino offers more at that time.   But I got this email and figured I'd share.

*Credit Vinegar Syndrome.

• Thanks 1

So a report came out the other day that sales of DVDs and Blu-rays have halved in the last five years.

Samsung is out of the Blu-ray player business now, and they were the biggest manufacture thereof.

Several movies recently have not gotten 4K physical releases.

We may be looking at the death of physical media in the next five years at this rate. Which is heart rending.

Even with the downward trend it still accounted for 13 billion dollars. So even if it halves in another 5 years that's still a 6 billion dollar industry.

Samsung hasn't introduced a new player to the market since 2017. It's a crowded space that they're not leading in, and according to this article it's more complicated than just sales are bad: https://www.commdiginews.com/business-2/samsung-electronics-drops-blu-ray-117106/

It'll certainly be more niche. With more labels popping up or expanding, they're creating a collector's market similar to Vinyl. And there's still a market for people who are crazy about audio and picture quality. 

Speaking of Vinyl, I read about how CD sales in the UK were somewhere around 2 billion pounds, dropping about 80% over the last 10 years - which is similar to US trends. And yet CDs still exist. 

I feel pretty good about the future of DVDs/Blus, mostly for the points Jae and Curt bring up.  It would be interesting to see the tiers of how niche the niches are.  Like, I imagine the vinyl record people outnumber, say, the VHS people (or maybe not).  Both probably far outnumber the 8-track people.

Haha, 8-track people. Funny that, King Fowley from Deceased actually IS a big 8-track collector and has a ton of them. It's hilarious the albums he digs up and posts about on Facebook. "THE COLLECTORS TOTALLY DONT THINK THERES A COPY OF KILLERS ON 8 TRACK BUT I FOUND IT GUYS!!!!!!!!!"

• Haha 1

Well, no sooner do I post my comment above, that I check in on one of my old favorite mail-order places, Sinister Cinema, to find that they will probably be closing up shop in the early part of 2020.

They used to put ads in Filmfax Magazine back in the mid-/late 90s, and they're basically where I satisfied my movie jones.  They were like ... say, Code Red for the VHS era, but not that banana suit wearing asshole and a LOT more film rights.  I got my first exposure to one of my favorite films, "I Bury the Living" through them.  I had this incredible "Drive-In Double Feature" tape with White Zombie and Devil Bat, which turned me on to Bela Lugosi's Poverty Row films.  And, through them, I developed my love for the trailer comp.

They have a good copy of Sonny Chiba's "Golden Bat", and they're running their (maybe final) Summer Sale (12 movies for $98, postpaid).  Check em out, I don't get shill bucks or anything; you might find some interesting stuff.

Http://www.sinistercinema.com

• Like 1

On 2/16/2019 at 12:03 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Random question: what movie or movies do you own a truly insane number of copies of?

Haven't cataloged my collection in 6 years.

1.NotLD68-Between vhs,dvd,Blu and laserdisc I own 8 copies.

2.Texas Chainsaw Massacre original-Got 6 copies.

3.Rock n Roll High School-5 copies.

4.Phantasm-Got it on betamax,vhs,laserdisc,dvd,blu

• Like 1

Went ahead and bought that Hellraiser boxset that @piranesi mentioned, even though I don’t have a region free blu-ray player (yet). Too good of a deal to pass up, especially when I saw prices listed other places that weren’t having a sale.

Ended up going down a rabbit hole and found a few other movies I’d like to get ahold of as well, but I won’t do that until I have a region free player.

• Thanks 1