DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

1 hour ago, nate said:

Almost all of these are not streaming anywhere since Warner has pulled everything to try and starve the competition leading up to  its streaming service up and running and who knows what they will include.theres a lot of solid noir on there too.

with that in mind I grabbed a few things like Night School, Ladyhawke, The Hidden, Gun Crazy that I’ve not been able to see streaming anywhere.

bear in mind you don’t have to buy in batches of 4, but it’s basically 4 for 44, 5 for 55, etc.

• Thanks 1

Almost pulled the trigger on like a 100 dollar order from the Warner Archive sale. 

But there are 4 David Bowie sneakers coming out from Vans next week sooooooo I'll just have to wait for the next one.

13 hours ago, nate said:

No list?

Of what I didn't get? 

Judgement Night

Dracula A.D. 1972

The Sea Hawk

While the City Sleeps

The Hunger

Dark of the Sun

Ladyhawke

The Prize

Les Girls

Queen of Outer Space

Alot of that I haven't seen. Actually The Hunger and Judgement Night are the ONLY movies I've seen. Queen of Outer Space looks like it'll pair up nicely with GREEEEEEEN SLIIIIIME

• Thanks 1

I watched the trailer and I just want that kind of mess in my life.

For some reason I've gotten really into that mod/hippie commercialized counterculture from this period. The aesthetic of it has become increasingly fascinating to me. I'm not really looking for a horror movie about Dracula, but an artifact of an interpretation of a time period. Sometimes these curios inspire me more than watching a "good" movie.

• Like 1

When you spring the $11 to buy the blu ray of this because you figure this is never going to show up anywhere

s-l400.jpg

Of Course TCM immediately announces on their guide TONIGHT: FINAL EXAM AND NIGHT SCHOOL YOU FREAKS!!!!!!!!

So, yeah, anyways, set your DVRs tonight for FInal Exam and Night School double feature.

FINAL-EXAM-HORROR.jpg

Edited by piranesi
  • Like 1

On 3/29/2019 at 8:19 PM, Curt McGirt said:

GODDAMMIT FUCK

Why there have to be so much good shit on all at once? Needless to say I'm not missing THAT.

I hope you enjoyed FINAL EXAM. It's not actually a great horror movie or even a great slasher. In terms of pacing there is a huge run of time, like more than an hour where literally nothing happens that even attempts to be creepy or scary or moody. But the characters are so great, so kooky and absurd and kind of smart...and not Scream-style ironic smart. Just entertaining. That it actually makes a great little college hijink movie that just happens to end in a mass murder.

I just find it so watchable.

And when the killing starts, I can't think of another one of these where I'm so sad and disappointed at each character who falls and doesn't make it through. The whole time I'm like "Nooo, not that guy! And her? NOOOOOoooo!" Even the asshole sheriff is kind of likable and the asshole coach too and the asshole "professor sleeping with student."! And the final girl is great. And the weird, nerdy guy is the most likable weird nerdy guy in slasher history. Even the asshole jocks are pretty funny.

And the, weirdly, all of this plays out over a soundtrack that is straight up from an 80s sitcom and does not fit at all.

I Love This Movie.

Edited by piranesi

On 4/6/2019 at 11:27 PM, Execproducer said:

So hopefully the issue of not actually being able to play the weekly movie that cropped up last week is resolved when the site goes live.

There are a crap ton of movies on this thing. Watched THE BIG HEAT and it was phenomenal.

• Like 1

The Big Heat is fucking brutal. I got the Twilight Time bluray with one of the most ominous covers that only means something if you've seen the movie:

s-l1000.jpg

• Like 2

Well, they aren't making any friends out of anyone with any level of hearing loss. No options for subtitles on anything, even if you want the English track subbed. 

Hell, just searching for 'Criterion Channel' didn't turn up anything, probably because the search was case sensitive. Had to scroll through 3 pages of apps for Spanish speaking church feeds before it popped up in the Just Added section. 

Plus, unless it's one of their curated sections, you have to know what you're looking for; no larger catalog to scan through. So naturally I picked Yojimbo.

Hopefully they'll take the month to improve, but I can see canceling if they don't seem interested in making any improvements.

So yeah, I'm having the same issue with their player on my desktop. I get an error message that it won't play on my relatively new Samsung monitor. Which sucks because I do 90% of my viewing that way. Setting up Roku app tomorrow and hoping for the best.

I have an old AppleTV, so o can’t access the app that way. Means I play it on my phone and airplay it to the TV. Works pretty well, but I had to remove the lock function from my phone, or it interrupts the stream.

On 4/8/2019 at 7:28 PM, jaedmc said:

The Big Heat is fucking brutal. I got the Twilight Time bluray with one of the most ominous covers that only means something if you've seen the movie:

s-l1000.jpg

Got that too.  What a film.