DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

Man, that Alien set plus Covenent is tempting, but I really don't want to spent $30 for 4 movies I like and 4 that are likely to never be watched.

If you need a good reason to justify getting to the $30 mark and you aren't quite there, do what I did and throw this CD in for $4

hqdefault.jpg

Maybe the best part of the whole package!

• Like 2

I totally lied/forgot when I said Halloween was one of the first two movies I bought on 4K disc. I bought the 50 Years of The Planet of the Apes 9 film box last year, and it came with all 9 on the Blu-ray and the recent trilogy also on 4k.

19 hours ago, piranesi said:

If you need a good reason to justify getting to the $30 mark and you aren't quite there, do what I did and throw this CD in for $4

hqdefault.jpg

Maybe the best part of the whole package!

SOLD!

This week two films I've been waiting forever ever on have been announced for bluray.

Flicker Alley is going to be dropping a 4k of THE MAN WHO LAUGHS, which is a great silent film.

Then MVD Rewind announced they got the rights to SPLIT SECOND starring RUTGER HAUER. It's fucking dope as hell, and I can't fucking wait. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jaedmc said:

This week two films I've been waiting forever ever on have been announced for bluray.

Flicker Alley is going to be dropping a 4k of THE MAN WHO LAUGHS, which is a great silent film.

Then MVD Rewind announced they got the rights to SPLIT SECOND starring RUTGER HAUER. It's fucking dope as hell, and I can't fucking wait. 

90s Rutger Hauer being cast in a movie:

Director: So I guess we're ready to shoot with Wings Hauser ready to play our lead?

Producer bursting into room: Our foreign Money mark needs to launder an extra $50,000 through this dog!

Director: Do you have the money in hand?

Producer: It's stashed under my golf clubs right now!

Director: Get me Rutger Hauer on the phone!!!!!!

Edited by piranesi
  • Haha 3

On 3/15/2019 at 3:42 PM, Control said:

Criterion is dropping HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH in July. Also that 7-hour Soviet version of War and Peace.

FUCK YES on the Hedwig release.

I went to a Severin Films Pop-Up Screening Triple Feature last night. The concept of the evening was them announcing three new upcoming Blu Ray releases, by surprising those in the theater with whatever was showing up on-screen. No release dates announced, but the fully restored/remastered transfer prints were shown for these coming sometime later this year:

1. NIGHT KILLER (1990) The guy that made "Troll 2" attempts to make a gripping, sexually charged, psychogical thriller/slasher. Much like "Troll 2", he succeeds for all of the wrong reasons. This is sure to be another cult classic when Severin releases for a wider audience this year.

2. THE BOYS NEXT DOOR (1985) - Well, this was an unpleasant watch. An early great performance from Charlie Sheen in this drama about disaffected teenagers on a thrill-kill spree, but yeah, this is joining the "Requiem For A Dream" list of movies that are really good that I also never want to watch again.

3. DEATH WARMED UP (1984) - a slow-paced but creepy and compelling New Zealandsploitation science horror with an '80s MTV music video vibe to it. Moments of gore are few and far between, but when they happen the splatter is fun, and the movie itself is an excellent display of maximizing budget and a limited cast.

• Like 5

Haven't seen it in years, but Death Warmed Up/Over is AWESOME. It had one of the best VHS covers: 

MV5BMTgwNTU3NTg5MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjM5

Apparently David Blyth also got fired from directing the grisly Lance Henrikson/Brion James slasher The Horror Show. The funny thing is this whole time I thought Death Warmed Up was directed by Brian Trenchard-Smith (who did the incredible Turkey Shoot/Escape 2000, Dead End Drive In, Stunt Rock, Night of the Demons 2 etc.). 

• Like 3

Excited for the Hedwig blu. I haven't bought a Criterion release in a while, but I think I've waited long enough that when the half off sale comes I'm getting a fucking haul.

In other news, if you're a fan of dystopian city gang movies and "tracks by The Fat Boys" Code Red has a release coming for you!

Let the Music Play remix that I've never heard before is fire.