DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

For some odd reason I now own The Terror(S1), The Meg, Stranger Things(S. 1 & 2), Mid 90s, Apocalypse Now, Bat-Man: The Killing Joke, Bat-Man Collection, Slender Man, Hell Fest, Super Troopers 2, Gangs Of New York, Shaun Of The Dead/Hot Fuzz, Mandy.
Thanks to piranesi for posting about that sale.

Eh, I just went through 27 out of 50 pages of the Target stuff starting at the cheap stuff and a lot of it is shipping only over $25, and I only found two things in all that that I really wanted (the Black Mass/Blow twofer and Richard Pryor Live at the Sunset Strip). Where's the Scream Factory stuff? All I saw on the lower rung was a lot of awful crap like Super Mario Bros. and Catwoman.

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Criterions in May include

blue velvet

the heiress

funny gamesĀ 

Most important would be the Agnes Varda film One Sings, The Other Doesn't. Haven't been this excited for a Criterion in a loooooong time.

• Like 1

And I just flipping bought the other Blu-Ray of Blue Velvet.Ā  Also, glad that that's the original Funny Games, as I have the remake on Prime.Ā Ā 

I also own a stupid number of copies of Reservoir Dogs, as "two" easily qualifies.Ā  But, I forgot I owned it on DVD when I bought the BR.

I have five fucking Blu Rays of the theatrical cut of Halloween, plus the extended cut and a 4K Blu Ray of it. And I have it on digital. At least I dumped my DVD.

I think I currently have two copies of Reservoir Dogs, so maybe that's just in everybody's repeat pile.

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Random question: what movie or movies do you own a truly insane number of copies of?

I think the only duplicate I have is North By Northwest. That's only because I had the bluray book edition, and then later I got the ultimate collection. It takes forever for me to doubledip or upgrade movies. I think this is because of that time I got robbed.

I started collecting nearlyĀ 20 years ago when I was in highschool. When I got to college I had a solid collection of kewl shit you'd buy when you're a late 90's highschool goober. Fight Club! Memento! American Pie! I did have a couple of bangers like the Akira Steel Case DVD and the Evil Dead Necronomicon Edition. Then my shit hole apartment was burglarized and I lost it all. Ā I had probably invested a used car worth of DVDs and the idea of buying them all again sounded like shit. Besides I didn't even have a TV or a player to play them on.Ā 

It took years of getting by before we had enough money that we felt like we could give ourselvesĀ fun money allowance. I didn't even want to buy movies then, but my wife told me I should because she knew how much I missed that collection. But even when I started buying, I couldn't stomach buying another copy of something I already owned. It wasn't until just last year that I finally replaced Edward Scissorhands, for example.

There's a lot of movies I avoid buying because I think there will always be another better edition later - like The Exorcist. So I'll spend that money I something weird I haven't seen like Green Slime or Colossus of Rhodes.Ā 

I'm of similar mind as JaeĀ about things like "Exorcist", because those films will never go OOP.Ā  I also rarely double dip, unless the special features are pretty serious.Ā  Shout/Scream Factory, Arrow and Criterion make it hard to avoid getting the same movie.

But usually, once I get a replacement version, I give a copy to a friend of mine.Ā  I think he takes them to the resell joint.

I tend to only buy obscure things, in part to reward companies for restoring them (watched the Vinegar Syndrome of The Muthers last night) and in part because I don't want to spend $$$ on something that I can find streaming somewhere. I really only started buying things when it became clear that the dream of streaming anything had settled into the hell of Netflix's "only things from 2000 or later" model. I'm assuming this is only going to get worse once Apple jumps into streaming. Warner, Disney, et al. will fragment all their older stuff onto their own services (if they even include much of it) and it's generally going to suck.

But somehow I have like five versions of THE KILLER (even though there isn't a decent Blu Ray yet), including both the dubbed and the subtitled Fox/Lorber VHS, a version taped off of a copy I found in a Vietnamese grocery storeĀ  for rental in like 1990, and the OOP Criterion. I mean, there's not much to complain about after having paid Tai Seng's grotesque prices all those years ago just to get to see A CHINESE GHOST STORY.

And thanks to that sale now two copies of Sharky's Machine, one of which is probably now older than many of the posters on the board, along with two versions of the soundtrack.

Ā 

And, yes, multiple copies of the original HALLOWEEN.Ā  Ooh. and because of a lucky flea market find I have both the Nightmare on Elm Street blu ray box and the great old VHS box

833122b7ef9d20b7a609c6988122aa15.jpg

Ā 

• Like 3

I just read a David Schow piece titled "The Traps of Nostalgia" that everyone in this thread would relate to. He talks about being a collector and how hard it used to be, in the days when you would record AUDIO of TV showings just to have something to hold onto of a film, then a little later 16mm prints (if you've ever had an issue of Famous Monsters in your possession you've seen the ads for these), prior to even VHS. He also mentions that in the digital age things can be lost just as easy as ever, as the makers of Payback had their film files wiped entirely, forcing them to go back to the print and actually cut film, which they had never done before. And unfortunately, even though he's tried, he still can't get World Without End a DVD release.

• Like 2

Well, see, I bought the 2007 Blu-ray (first Blu-ray I bought, actually) and have away my DVD. Then I bought the 2011 35th anniversary release, but kept the OG disc because different transfer and different social features

Then I bought the Halloween Complete Collection Limited Edition boxset, which came with the 2007 disc and and a slightly retooled version of the 2011 disc (fixed the mono track and added a commentary iirc) and also included the extended cut on the special features disc.

Then I finally got a 4K TV, and Halloween was one of the first two movies I bought on 4K UHD Blu-ray... And the fucking thing came with a copy of the 2007 disc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

Ā 

Then I finally got a 4K TV, and Halloween was one of the first two movies I bought on 4K UHD Blu-ray... And the fucking thing came with a copy of the 2007 disc.

Ā 

So with all that experience you should be able to give us the scoop on whether the 4K Halloween is a big jump over the various Blu Rays. Personally there is a part of me that is hoping that with 1080p we've reached the reasonable limit of needing to ever upgrade again and part of me knows that this is never going to end.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 10:02 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Eh, I just went through 27 out of 50 pages of the Target stuff starting at the cheap stuff and a lot of it is shipping only over $25, and I only found two things in all that that I really wanted (the Black Mass/Blow twofer and Richard Pryor Live at the Sunset Strip). Where's the Scream Factory stuff? All I saw on the lower rung was a lot of awful crap like Super Mario Bros. and Catwoman.

If you filter by horror they will pop out a bit more frequently.

You like Resurrection? I mean, more power to you if you do, but I have to ask...

EDIT: Nevermind, I misunderstood your post -- I thought you were throwing shade at Covenant (deservedly), which is why I brought up Resurrection, but you just meant it wasn't part of the set. And meanwhile I forgot all about the existence of the AVP duo.Ā It's a good deal if you don't have Blus of the first three or Prometheus. I have the DVD box set with the first four still; a friend sold that to me for like ten bucks. I flipped over that discount.