The Long Goodbye

Shalako

The Mercenary

The Revengers

Junior Bonner

Prime Cut

So thanks guys, thanks a lot. Heh.

On 12/7/2018 at 8:10 PM, nate said:

I just got volume 1 of the Fernando di Leo set, and I'm looking at nabbing volume 2 before.the end of the year.  I'm most excited about ou ut "Italian Connection" in particular.

It's my favorite of the trilogy, though I admit I don't remember the first one well. Il Boss has a sick beginning and end. Unfortunately I never watched the other set when I had the chance to rent them at a now defunct rental shop. 

10 hours ago, nate said:

Man, over the Thanksgiving weekend I went to visit my dad.  Drove by the old movie rental place ... gutted.  Both the building and my youth.  Such good memories.

Sad.

My home town used to have several movie stores. My favorite was this electronics store that sold and repaired old TVs. Their library was huge. I think they're long long gone, but I wish I was there when they started to convert to DVD just so I could collect all the VHS covers. Some of those covers were just glorious.

The video store was next to the two screen movie theatre. And when you walked into the theatre you'd go down a long corridor where at the end you'd open a set of glass doors that lead to the lobby. Perpendicular to these doors was another glass door that was locked and would open directly into the horror section.the video store people covered this up with movie posters to show that it was not the main entrance. I remember being a kid and peaking through the gap in the posters and spying the most gruesome covers. Of course I often went into the store and just walked into the horror section, so I'd seen these titles up close before. But for some reason looking into it in this way, this weird macabre peep show, made it a little more terrifying, a little more forbidden, and it's one of my fondest memories of the video stores of my youth.

I try explaining it to my kids and their eyes narrow, and they just kind of nod in a "we get it, your life was hard" way. And then I have to explain no no no "It was the fucking BEST."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know I've related this here before but Family Video (not the chain) in Marion, IL where I grew up also had its own backroom horror section with posters all over the walls. There was also Krenz Video, Broadway Video (which was enormous), Circus Video, and of course Blockbuster which actually came really late in the game. Plus the gas stations and even Kroger had a whole middle enclosure with rentals. It was heavenly. My parents would leave me and I'd just wander the aisles for hours. 

The place I was referring to above was Rentertainment in Champaign, IL and was even better because it's a college town and they had a full library of foreign titles separated by country along with classics, horror, sci-fi, etc. It had everything -- and I mean EVERYTHING. They finally went belly up which was one sad day. 

The only video store left in town? Family Video. They have exactly one wall of "classics" and everything else is from the last year or two.

• Thanks 1

Nothing beats that feeling.  We had Prime Time Video, Video Place (locally known as "Fudd's" after the owner). But there were tons of flash-in-the-pan rental places that would pop up in a lot of different places, and of course every grocery store had a rental annex.  I had no way to drive myself during the heyday of rental, and there was no way my parents were renting the choice horror/action/teen nudie comedy films for me so I spent the first few years of my video watching life renting Godzilla movies, the Abbott & Costello features, and GI Joe or Transformer episodes.

I remember having a book - "Terror on Tape" - that I cherished like treasure.  It was my favorite guide to finding something to rent when I was in high school and college.  Books like that went a long way toward my enjoyment of, not only movie watching, but movie hunting.

When my Facebook feed pops up with an upcoming DVD/Blu release from one of the boutique labels I follow, and I see one of those covers I remember from stalking Prime Time's aisles, it goes into my Amazon wishlist faster than a Thanos snap.

I'm sorry to do this to all of your families, fellas.

But Arrow video is having a "Christmas" sale starting tomorrow.

Just remember. Sometimes home-made presents are the ones that kids will cherish and remember the most. Like a pipe-cleaner dinosaur. Or a pipe-cleaner snake. Or just some fucking pipe cleaners. That's the gift of imagination and it's the most valuable gift of all.

• Haha 1

you bastard.

So now I'm in a real pickle. I've got a ton of Arrow on my wishlist. What if my family got me something? What if I don't buy anything thinking my wife got me the Seijun Suzuki boxset and she didn't. What if we just got my kids pipe cleaners for their birthday?

26 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

you bastard.

So now I'm in a real pickle. I've got a ton of Arrow on my wishlist. What if my family got me something? What if I don't buy anything thinking my wife got me the Seijun Suzuki boxset and she didn't. What if we just got my kids pipe cleaners for their birthday?

Not Pipe cleaners. "Magical Virtual Reality Imaginarium worms."

• 2 weeks later...

Light haul this year because this was our year to stay home instead of travel to family.

Got

The Last Dragon - Classic. Watched this with my oldest son last night and he loved it. Ernie Reyes Jr. coming in and stealing the show is epic. The wardrobe in this film is incredible. William H. Macy wearing that jacket while still sounding a lot like his character from Fargo is the best.

The Sea Wolf -  Edward G. Robinson at sea. Haven't seen it yet, but that's enough to sell me on it.

Eclipse Set of Early Kurosawa Films - I'd only seen one of these up until now, so I'm excited to dig in.

That's it. I did get some Christmas Cash which I may actually use to buy a region free player. It's either that or....more blurays.

What'd you guys get?

• Like 2

Sho'nuff is easily one of the best characters of film, the kinda dude that you might later forget what movie he's in but you remember the movie that surrounded him.  "Man, I don't remember what the movie was called, but it had this dude with glowing red hands telling everyone to kiss his Converse, that shit was DOPE!"

(When I worked at a video rental place, that kinda shit was my life.)

• Like 2

Me and one of my best friends watched it so many times as kids, then nobody else I knew ever has any idea what I was talking about when I brought it up. 

I actually got it on DVD several months ago myself, and it's still fantastic in it's own way.

The last two Sneaky Santa giftswaps I have gone to I bring the DVD of Last Dragon.

Got the below for Xmas 

DVD

Looney Tunes Center Stage vol 2nd

Blade Runner 2048

BLU RAY

Death Wish 2,3 and 4

Pink Panther cartoon collection vol 2

Hell Night Blu/DVD combo Scream Factory 

Plus got a Roku. Thanks to this forum I know about and am addicted to B movie Tv.

• Like 3

Work sent me a $25 Walmart gift card for Xmas so I finally made the trip and went straight to the five dollar bin (after the liquor aisle haha) and the very first thing I see is Killer Klowns from Outer Space with -- get this -- a freakin' COLORING BOOK inside. This really elaborate Mexican-style artist did special covers for a bunch of horror movies just for Walmart and they put that as the insert. Probably the coolest one is a Young Frankenstein with Peter Boyle's face but all of them were super intricate and look even crazier with his own coloring. So, after some more digging I grabbed Predator (which I already owned and forgot I had, duh), Death Wish (OG and guess what? They were selling the ripoff one from this year with that Eastern European dude too!), moved over to the more expensive items and was just about to leave when I saw the holy fucking grail sitting right there. 

SILENT RAGE. 

I've been looking for Silent Rage for YEARS. Chuck Norris basically fighting Michael Myers, and I haven't seen it since it was on TV as a kid? YES YES YES PLEASE. 

Of course there's was a catch... it was a BluRay. 

Which necessitated me getting a BluRay player too. 

*shrug*

• Like 1

I got the Blu Ray of RotLD that comes with the coloring book. They were exclusives last October IIRC. Got Wish for wings that work,second release of RnR High School,Superman TAS Mentallo,Hangman's Curse and some Ultraman set with the first 8 episodes,all on DVD for a buck each.Then on Blu ray for a buck. The King of Comedy,The Marine 3,Honeymoon in Vegas and 4 copies of Robocop.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, bobholly138 said:

4 copies of Robocop

Wait, what? You mean all the sequels and the remake or... I mean Robocop is probably in my top five of all time but I couldn't even do that. 

And I really need Rock'n'Roll High School. In fact there's a Corman rabbit hole I could easily go down if I had the right source.

EDIT: Oooo! I forgot that dad grabbed me X - The Man with the X-Ray Eyes (speaking of Corman) and Mr. Majestyk from Kino Lorber, too. Oh, and since we were talking up Seven Doors of Death on here, I took a glance at part of my collection in the front room and realized I had grabbed a copy of The Beyond from a local record store, then shelved it away having seen it far too many times to want to again right then. It got its proper airing. Still a favorite.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

SILENT RAGE. 

I've been looking for Silent Rage for YEARS. Chuck Norris basically fighting Michael Myers, and I haven't seen it since it was on TV as a kid? YES YES YES PLEASE. 

Of course there's was a catch... it was a BluRay. 

Which necessitated me getting a BluRay player too. 

*shrug*

The Rifftrax of SILENT RAGE is maybe the best they ever did with what to me is the funniest single riff I've ever heard from any MST3K crew. Definitely worth a watch if it's still on Amazon prime.

• Like 1