DVDVR Message Board

DVD/BR Collector Thread for the Physical Media Enthusiasts

jaedmc

2 hours ago, jaedmc said:

arigato. I actually live not far from them and was thinking of going to their show room. Needed to hear from someone that they got good product there.

I haven't yet tried any actual non region A blue rays. My first ever Arrow order is still shipping.

The goods are trickling in.  So, no judging ...

Black Panther

Deadpool 2

Battle of the Sexes (I've become a fan of Steve Carrell lately)

Hotel Artemis

Grave Robbers

Orgy of the Dead

Shanks (William Castle)

Thing with Two Heads

Hereditary

Teen Titans GO! To the Movies

• Like 1

This is my review of Hereditary. 

1. It is right up there with Don't Look Now in the short list of horror movies that you only need to see the once. 

2. The Omen, with which it shares many things, is one of the best horror films of all time. Top five, at least. The Omen probably doesn't have shit on Hereditary.

3. I will never watch this film again unless someone I deeply love says they will fellate me along with watching it, then comfort me afterwards.

OH! And after reading all of the spoilers in the other thread

Spoiler

J.T. is right. Charlie was meant to die, she just had to have a human form first to be provided as a sacrifice. 

I still won't want to watch that film for quite awhile. I think the focus on grief is much like Pet Sematery or, as said above, Don't Look Now. It's just hard to take and well-felt enough to be a pass. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be seen by everybody; I would consider it up there with The Silence of the Lambs or Get Out as far as quality, if you really need your horror to be A+ level to watch it. 

EDIT: There is one reason in particular that the film fucked with me, beyond the vibe, and Toni's incredible performance. 

Spoiler

The still shot on the kid's dead, decapitated, flyblown head. It just sat and lingered there compelling you to stare at it. I had a similar reaction watching the TV today. Snatch was on, it finished up and some movie with Sean Young came on where Matt Dillon threw her off a roof and blood exploded out of her mouth and head as she crashed through a plate of glass three stories onto the ground. I looked up from the computer at random and just saw that, with no expectation that was going to happen. My response was much like seeing Charlie's head. 

The Mausoleum w/slipcover bluray that I bought for $25 is going for 75-120 bucks on ebay right now. I didn't realize people were willing to spend three times on a movie just for a slipcover. 

11 hours ago, jaedmc said:

The Mausoleum w/slipcover bluray that I bought for $25 is going for 75-120 bucks on ebay right now. I didn't realize people were willing to spend three times on a movie just for a slipcover. 

Yeah, that's where "collection" and "obsession" are, forgive parlance, up each other.  Me, I'm content to get Mausoleum later.  Maybe VS' "Halfway to Black Friday" sale in June.

"But what am I getting from Santa?"

"The gift of classic cinema appreciation. Now zip it and wave hello to Mamie Van Doren. She's your new pretend mommy."

"Wow, she's pretty."

"Yes. Yes she is. Stop using the Camp Nowhere collector's edition as a coaster. That's your college fund."

...and besides getting the Kino Lorber catalogue A DAY BEFORE MY BIRTHDAY AND ON THE DAY I GET PAID (argh), I finished watching The Italian Connection again, which was fabulous. Mario Adorf looks like such an oaf but turns out to be a total badass -- even more of a badass than both Henry Silva AND Woody Strode. Pulp Fiction ripped off this movie, that's how cool it is. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, piranesi said:

ITS JULY IN CHRISTMAS!!!

MV5BYmQ5MmJiYjUtMzI3OS00NmU1LTlkMDgtMDJk

Oh you wonderful sonuvabitch!

I got:

Oblong Box (to replace my disc w/ "Scream and Scream Again", which putzed out on me)

Manhattan Project

I Bought a Vampire Motorcycle 

Gorp

The Challenge

Running Scared

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

...and besides getting the Kino Lorber catalogue A DAY BEFORE MY BIRTHDAY AND ON THE DAY I GET PAID (argh), I finished watching The Italian Connection again, which was fabulous. Mario Adorf looks like such an oaf but turns out to be a total badass -- even more of a badass than both Henry Silva AND Woody Strode. Pulp Fiction ripped off this movie, that's how cool it is. 

I just got volume 1 of the Fernando di Leo set, and I'm looking at nabbing volume 2 before.the end of the year.  I'm most excited about ou ut "Italian Connection" in particular.